• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me decide

34 posts in this topic

I love the cover of Justice. A great Simon and Kirby rendering. But I am not at all fond of back to front miswraps and cream-to-off white in a slab. I always look at slabs as providing good QP copies of books even if mid-grade or lower.

The Two-Gun Kid is a very nicely presenting book and probably a nice addition to a Western or Atlas collector; however, it is a relatively "ordinary" book from the series.

Always choose Crime Noir over Westerns.

However, I have to say, I favor the hangin' of the Western cover.

Also, McCarthy writes Westerns, so go western.

Of course, Leonard writes crime noir and westerns, so ......

I'd go with the two gun kid due to condition

You can reasonably expect to find a raw one of either of these on ebay for a fraction of the graded price and get the same if not more enjoyment reading them.

If I were looking for a slabbed book option with a certain dollar figure in mind........go for a book that has a following or you can create a following for.

If you're just looking to own a slabbed book, there are so many others to choose from.

Two-Gun Kid in a heartbeat!

It's perfectly centered, presents exceptionally well, and I would personally choose Joe Maneely over late-1940's Simon & Kirby any day of the week!

(Your mileage may vary.)

The JTTG 4 is fairly common in that grade.....the TGK is not. If you really like Atlas westerns...I've got a few with Maneely inside and out plus Torres,Williamson,Kubert,Heath, and Everett in them. Maybe we could work out some kind of trade for them....all in the 4.0 to 5.0 range (raw).Let me know.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I'm fixin to hit the hay...I'll check my PM's tommorrow.

I like the crime cover better than the western cover, but I'm inclined to agree with JC, et al, and say neither. The crime book is a bit fugly and has lousy page quality and the western is meh.

Two-Gun Kid in a heartbeat!

It's perfectly centered, presents exceptionally well, and I would personally choose Joe Maneely over late-1940's Simon & Kirby any day of the week!

(Your mileage may vary.)

Agree! The Justice is real common in the mid-grade, but the Two-Gun, fairly uncommon in high grade... of the two, that is the better looking, MUCH better centered, and great PQ... IF you really want both, but it is about even, the Two-Gun is my recommendation...

Cimm

Well the reason I really said neither is because I think he will realize these books aren't really for him. He mentioned switching over to GA but these are GA crime and Western (and not true GA according to some). My guess is these are more affordable than true GA super hero books and that's why he's looking at these. Considering much of his collections was 60's Marvel superheros, these two books aren't something someone that collected stuff usually drops back into when delving into GA, especially Westerns.

Well the reason I really said neither is because I think he will realize these books aren't really for him. He mentioned switching over to GA but these are GA crime and Western (and not true GA according to some). My guess is these are more affordable than true GA super hero books and that's why he's looking at these. Considering much of his collections was 60's Marvel superheros, these two books aren't something someone that collected stuff usually drops back into when delving into GA, especially Westerns.
You know me better than I know myself. I'm gonna hold off. I was tempted by the Simon Kirby art on the JTTG as I read Kirby: King of Comics not long ago and the TWG as it was high grade with good PQ.