• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone explain this to me?

16 posts in this topic

That is just a stupid price !!! -

Todd McFarlane's USM cover went for around 1K less and that was much more desirable inmho.

OK.. this isn't making sense for a few reasons.

1. A Todd Mcfarlane Cover went for 6K'ish? sounds cheap

2. Especially if it's a typo and it's an Amazing Spiderman (ASM) cover

3. What is USM?

Malvin

malvin, he was talking about the ultimate spider man variant cover from the hero initiative like these hulk 1's. The Todd mcfarlane went for 6k. If your not familiar with the project, marvel gave 100 blank covers to 100 artists to draw on and the hero initiative auctioned them off for charity. This is the same for the hulk covers.

Its odd how frank cho is bring in more money than even romita.

Once the price topped $2500, it seems to have been a battle between two bidders. The lucky one is the one that DIDN'T get the piece. I'll bet he realizes it, too.

Frank Cho's stuff is pricey and I like it. But, then, I'm a fan of good girl art and Frank does that kind of stuff very well. I just don't like it multiple-thousands worth.

Glad it was for charity. On that basis, I wish it had gone for thousands more.

Malvin,

I believe it was around 4k for that MJ cover. Could be mistaken.

McFarlane drawing anything is a big deal, but to draw Spider-man again is huge....And while Frank Cho is a better artist (not too mention, he shares a nursing degree & a love for weightlifting with yours truly) , McFarlane has the nostalgia thing going for him.....

Malvin,

McFarlane drawing anything is a big deal, but to draw Spider-man again is huge....And while Frank Cho is a better artist (not too mention, he shares a nursing degree & a love for weightlifting with yours truly) , McFarlane has the nostalgia thing going for him.....

Love him or hate him, McFarlane changed the look and feel of Spidey for an entire generation so yeah, I guess you could call it a nostalgia thing...for a lot of people ;)

Malvin,

Love him or hate him, McFarlane changed the look and feel of Spidey for an entire generation so yeah, I guess you could call it a nostalgia thing...for a lot of people ;)

Totally ! My brother who's 8 yrs younger than I tells me that McFarlane was all the rage among collectors who were 8-12 yrs old......I used to think Todd was a better artist than I do now. The more I got into art, the more I realized that while it looked cool, it wasn't great art.....Course, Pollock isn't great art (just my opinion) and it just reinforces that it's all subjective.