• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 10 Magazine Keys.

106 posts in this topic

That Bill Everett pinup from Nightmare is absolutely brilliant! Thanks for posting it, I had never seen it before. I love Everett's art from the 1970's. His inking is incredibly tight, clean and fluid. He did some fantastic work for Marvel/Atlas in the 1950's, but I agree that his work in the 1970's was just as good if not better. What an incredible talent!

Kaluta, unlike the other 3 "Studio" members, continues to work in the industry, not just selling prints and tee-shirts of his work, and it is of the highest quality. In fact I think his work has actually grown in stature over the years.

Not totally up to date on Kaluta's current work but I do know he penciled and inked a beautiful several page sequence for a 2005 issue of Dark Horse's Conan that looked wonderful! (thumbs u And speaking of the "Studio", this is a great pic!

67325.jpg.d2a25ec78f449ac96f571ec8b693a8d8.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. He is in very rare company as someone whose work never declined. It just got better and better.

Neal Adams can't make that claim, nor can Wrightson, Smith, Kaluta, Kirby, etc., etc.,...

When did Smith's artwork ever decline? (shrug)

I think he peaked with the last few Conans and Savage Tales. Look at the Valiant stuff and his self-published stuff. It really doesn't compare.

(Only my opinion, your results may vary)

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree..... Unity 0 is possibly in the top 5 or so covers of the modern era IMHO. And, his work on Archer & Armstrong is stellar! Granted, a different feel and certainly not the same kind of action, but the quality is there.

And, Kaluta is still doing great work. He did some work on the title The Victorian that won awards quite deservidely! :thumbsup:

(Can't stand up and defend the others.... although I do love some of Wrightson's later work there's alot that isn't up to snuff. ;) )

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. He is in very rare company as someone whose work never declined. It just got better and better.

Neal Adams can't make that claim, nor can Wrightson, Smith, Kaluta, Kirby, etc., etc.,...

When did Smith's artwork ever decline? (shrug)

I think he peaked with the last few Conans and Savage Tales. Look at the Valiant stuff and his self-published stuff. It really doesn't compare.

(Only my opinion, your results may vary)

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree..... Unity 0 is possibly in the top 5 or so covers of the modern era IMHO. And, his work on Archer & Armstrong is stellar! Granted, a different feel and certainly not the same kind of action, but the quality is there.

And, Kaluta is still doing great work. He did some work on the title The Victorian that won awards quite deservidely! :thumbsup:

(Can't stand up and defend the others.... although I do love some of Wrightson's later work there's alot that isn't up to snuff. ;) )

I'm not saying it was bad stuff, just on the downside of his peak work. I think Red Nails was the pinnacle, and after that his work, although still good by any standards, was never again that good.

I Love Smith's work, but I have to agree that "Red Nails" was a pinnacle he has never again reached, at least in print available to the general public. Still, all of the artists in "The Studio" were extraordinary, helped to transform the comic book genre and set the bar for the next generation of comic artists. Unfortunately for some of them, the pressure cost them on a personal level.

Maybe it was wrong to include Kaluta in that list. I still think he peaked with The Shadow, though.

something tells me Mike would agree.

kalutashadow.jpg

That's just... bad! Two, count them, TWO comic pros handling a comic by the spine... I am stunned!

:baiting:

:makepoint: Relax - no small children will perish - It was only a reader copy I scrounged up in a hurry from a local comic shop when I heard Kaluta was going to visit.

But thanks for grouping me in the same category as Kaluta

I'm a whore for a good checklist :luhv:

so I took most of the info in this thread and collated it into an alphabetical list.

Im personally not interested in arguing what issues are or aren't applicable (or which are in the top 10), I just like to see em all in one place.

so here ya go:

Magazine Keys Checklist

2000 AD # 2 – (1st Judge Dredd)

Blazing Combat #1 (Frazetta)

Cracked #1 (1st issue of the Other Humor Mag)

Creepy #1 (first Warren comic mag, last Frazetta art in comics)

Dracula Lives #2 (1st Origin of Dracula, Neal Adams art, Starlin art)

Eerie #1 (only printed 1000 copies, an ashcan for a long-lived series)

Eerie #17 (HTF low distribution issue)

Eerie #81 (Classic Frazetta Kong cover)

Heavy Metal #1 (Popular long lasting Sci-Fi/Fantasy title)

Love and Rockets #1 (Hernandez Brothers self-Published, 1981)

Mad #24 (First issue in magazine format)

Marvel Comics Super Special #1 (Made with real KISS blood).

Marvel Preview #2 (1st Origin of the Punisher).

Monsters to Laugh With #1 (Marvel's first attempt at B&W mags, circa 1964?)

Near Myths (1st Grant Morrion comics work)

Nightmare #1 (Skywald, popular series)

Nightmare #20 (1st pro work- John Byrne)

Psycho #1 (first Skywald horror comic)

Pussycat #1 (Marvel's 1st foray in seeking/responding to their maturing audience base?)

Savage Sword of Conan #1 (Popular long lasting title)

Savage Tales #1 (1st Marvel mag without the comics code, First appearance of Man-Thing)

Shock Illustrated #1 (Juvenille Delenquency, Drug abuse (heroin), prostitution, wife swapping, and the entire issue was illustrated by Jack Kamen.)

Shock Illustrated #3 (Only 100 known copies according to OSPG)

Spectacular Spiderman #1 (Marvel's first B&W superhero mag)

The Spirit #1 (Warren).

Tales of the Zombie #1 (Marvel/Curtis)

Vampirella #1 (Origin and first appearance Vampirella)

Vampirella #8 (first serious Vampirella story)

Vampirella Annual #1 (New Origin Vampirella)

Vampirella # 113 (Harris, Rare issue)

Visions # 1, (first app Flaming Carrot)

Web of Horror #3 (first Berni Wrightson cover)

Weirdo #1 (Robert Crumb magazine format underground)

the National Lampoon Frazetta covers...

the Crumb Arcade covers

(dunno the specific issue numbers on these last ones)