• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,339 posts in this topic

I thought I saw one today. The guy wanted $50 for it. I opened the book up and inside I saw "3rd printing" scratched out with "second printing" written in pen as a replacement. Yeah, I laughed just a little. I have looked for this issue for forever to, I don't think it exists. my 2c
Are people really that stupid? I guess I'm one of them for even asking that question.

I think he was referencing the Blackthorne 3-D #2 reprint from the picture...there was a second print of the GI Joe 3D #2 comic, but for some reason, it was printed with the cover of #4 (so it's the cover of #4 but numbered #2). It's fairly rare but can be found (I've acquired two in a few years of looking)
Yeah. I should have been more clear about it. I honestly think the Marvel 21 2nd printing was part of the first printing. Like the WD 1 black and white lettering. Technically, the white letter in is the second printing, but is still considered to be the first. Maybe there's some differences between the alleged 1st/2nd print of Joe 21? I haven't studied it in depth, so maybe others can answer that? Even if this mythical 2nd printing does exist with some slight differences, it won't be the rarity people would seem to think it is. The uncovering of it will be great though. Now if we can just figure out what the hell that xmen 302 blank UPC is???

Little help please, how is this a first print: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140492619666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I thought the black spiderman head was the giveaway that it was a reprint? Then I found this one from the same seller and it is marked as a second print but I don't see any difference: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130499525701?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks.

Edited by phantomewan

Should I be concerned that I caught my wife eating chocolate donuts and grape soda??? lol

(laughed for a few while my wife just stared at me - you guys would be the only one's that would understand - I may need a 'Joe break!)

Not unless she's cheating on you with Ripper, Buzzer, and Torch. lol

Little help please, how is this a first print: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140492619666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I thought the black spiderman head was the giveaway that it was a reprint? Then I found this one from the same seller and it is marked as a second print but I don't see any difference: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130499525701?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks.

They're both second prints, CGC didn't mark the first one correctly, they missed that it was a second print. doh!

The seller probably didn't put on the invoice form that it was a second print, and CGC also missed it. :tonofbricks:

Thanks.

They're both second prints, CGC didn't mark the first one correctly, they missed that it was a second print. doh!

The seller probably didn't put on the invoice form that it was a second print, and CGC also missed it. :tonofbricks:

(tsk) not so fast.

You can't just go by "Black Spidey" = 2nd print. It depends on the issue.

For example Joe #26 1st prints are the Black Spidey; however, the price changes from .60 to .75 on the 2nd printing.

Issues 18, 25, 29 and 30 you can't tell by the cover. Both the 1st prints and 2nd prints have the Black Spidey AND the same price.

Those books are probably graded correctly.

Should I be concerned that I caught my wife eating chocolate donuts and grape soda??? lol

(laughed for a few while my wife just stared at me - you guys would be the only one's that would understand - I may need a 'Joe break!)

Not unless she's cheating on you with Ripper, Buzzer, and Torch. lol

hm

Thanks.

(tsk) not so fast.

For example Joe #26 1st prints are the Black Spidey; however, the price changes from .60 to .75 on the 2nd printing.

Issues 18, 25, 29 and 30 you can't tell by the cover. Both the 1st prints and 2nd prints have the Black Spidey AND the same price.

EPSON135-1.jpgKGrHqJhE8f38yHBPKztVqqf60_12_zps5c44606b.jpg

hm - never really paid attention to this before but my 9.8SS copy is the black spidey, the other image I pulled off E-Bay..... (my raw copies are so buried in the closet I don't even want to think about digging them out)

Thanks.

(tsk) not so fast.

(tsk) Not so fast yourself. :P

You can tell 1st from 2nd prints on 18 and 30 by the cover. It's the price box that is the key here. All the direct first prints will have the price in the Marvel "M" box, the second prints look like the photo in the auction.

The black Spidey started part way through issue #22. Some copies of 22 are white spidey, some are black, they are both first prints.

picture of white spidey #22 1st print

picture of black spidey #22 first print.

#18 first print

#18 second print. Notice the price box. That price box was used for newsstand books and second prints until much later in the run.

joe #30 second, notice the price box

Joe 30, first print.

Thus, the book in the first auction was not graded correctly.

Thanks.

(tsk) not so fast.

You can tell 1st from 2nd prints on 18 and 30 by the cover. It's the price box that is the key here. All the direct first prints will have the price in the Marvel "M" box, the second prints look like the photo in the auction.

The black Spidey started part way through issue #22. Some copies of 22 are white spidey, some are black, they are both first prints.

#18 first print

#18 second print. Notice the price box. That price box was used for newsstand books and second prints until much later in the run.

Joe 30, first print.

NEAT!!! (thumbs u

There is a ton of variants to these old Joe's, it's tough to keep track. lol

I knew the 2nd prints had the Spidey's and the same price, I didn't notice the different price box. Very cool.

Does the inside of the 18 and 30 have Second Printing on the 1st page? Or is it just the price box like with #3?

GIJoe3.jpg

Thanks.

(tsk) not so fast.

Thanks everybody, I think I got it now.

#18 first print

Joe 30, first print.

Thanks everybody, I think I got it now :tonofbricks:

I'm not sure if they show it or not, I may have to look.

The #3, 4, and 5 prints will always leave me shaking my head. lol

Unmarked second prints that for the longest time went under the radar, to the point that CGC didn't even realize the difference. :tonofbricks:

When I was looking at the Mile High scans, I noticed that they were showing first print covers for 25 and 29. doh! Guess some things slip by Chuck every now and then. :makepoint:

The 25 isn't a mistake though. I know for sure the #25 is what I was talking about. (The 29 may be as well.)

1st print and 2nd print 25's have the same exact cover. Both have black Spidey, 60 cents, and the price box is the Marvel "M."

However, the inside and back cover ads are different.

Ok, I just went digging through my books. lol

My 18, 29 and 30 are newsstands. I don't have the 2nd prints somehow...

I did have the newsstand, direct edition, and 2nd print of 25.

Here is what the 2nd print 25 looks like:

front

Joe252ndfrontsmaller_zpsc6db6b57.jpg

back

Joe252ndbacksmaller_zpsb842506b.jpg

Inside

Joe252ndindiciasmaller_zps187a1000.jpg

Long time lurker. First time poster. Just got back from CGC an America's Elite #11 Variant that graded at 9.8. Is mine the only 9.8 out there so far? It's not in the census yet but I have no idea how often they update. Had a So Much Fun #63 come back a 6.0 as well.

Made up for the not so nice grades my #155 and my Special #1 didn't come back with. (9.0 and 9.4).

Quick story on how I acquired my America's Elite #11. I was a comic retailer back when the issue was originally solicited. Since I had in my head at the time that I personally wanted one of every Joe comic to go with my original art collection I decided to actually order 200 of the damn book. We're talking a book that my chain of 3 stores would've only typically ordered 50 copies max between all the stores. Needless to say a lot of regular #11s were in our blow out stock at cons. I can't imagine there were many actual retailers who hit the required # to get the variant especially since it wasn't a #1 or seemingly a truly significant issue or even cover to warrant the order.

I know everyone here wants pics as proof so I'll try and post those this weekend. In the meantime you can view some of my art collection on CAF here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=13452

Thanks in advance for any responses to my questions at the top of this post.

Howie

Long time lurker. First time poster. Just got back from CGC an America's Elite #11 Variant that graded at 9.8. Is mine the only 9.8 out there so far? It's not in the census yet but I have no idea how often they update. Had a So Much Fun #63 come back a 6.0 as well.

Made up for the not so nice grades my #155 and my Special #1 didn't come back with. (9.0 and 9.4).

Quick story on how I acquired my America's Elite #11. I was a comic retailer back when the issue was originally solicited. Since I had in my head at the time that I personally wanted one of every Joe comic to go with my original art collection I decided to actually order 200 of the damn book. We're talking a book that my chain of 3 stores would've only typically ordered 50 copies max between all the stores. Needless to say a lot of regular #11s were in our blow out stock at cons. I can't imagine there were many actual retailers who hit the required # to get the variant especially since it wasn't a #1 or seemingly a truly significant issue or even cover to warrant the order.

I know everyone here wants pics as proof so I'll try and post those this weekend. In the meantime you can view some of my art collection on CAF here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=13452

Thanks in advance for any responses to my questions at the top of this post.

Howie

Welcome to the Boards!!!!

You have an amazing CAF gallery. I just looked through it and commented on some pages. You have a LOT of cool G.I. Joe OA pages!! (worship)

I believe it takes about 1+1/2 to 2 weeks for books to show up on the census. So yours should show up soon. (thumbs u