• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

I would think a second printing and a reprint are two different things.

For example since we are talking about GI Joe # 2 you would have white spidey/upc as first print, black spidey as second print and Tales of GI Joe #2 as the reprint. Also any of the books like marvel magazines or volume books that reprint the original stories.

first print

54707-3138-76156-1-g-i-joe-a-real-ame.jpg002.jpg

second print

10_149170_0_GIJoeVol12BPanicattheNorthPole.jpg

Reprint

marvel-tales-of-gi-joe-issue-2.jpg

This is interesting-

The tales of GI Joe I suppose can be considered the reprint.

I got the impression from the previous post that there is a second print as labeled, and possibly a "reprint" which is not the tales of GI Joe.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have looked through what I have and here are all of the #2s I can see:

First print direct (diamond on cover, white spidey)

First print newsstand

Second prints:

Second print as marked on page 1 (black spidey)

3-pack issue

5-pack issue

Reprints:

Tales of GI Joe

Hasbro toy reprint

The three second prints all have the exact same front and back covers. I cannot see inside the cover of the two bagged issues...but I would assume pretty strongly that these three are all the same.

Can anyone confirm this, or have any more info?

My understanding is that the bagged packs where excess comics and are the 2nd printings. They should all have black spidey on front cover.

Just realize that the black spidey is not rule of thumb since issues 23-68 have black spidey as first prints since while that period all comics had black spidey.

Keeping track of all the G.I. Joe reprints is a challenge. There are soooo many.

There are two different 2nd printings to #2. The large 75 cents and the smaller 75 cents.

smaller:

5pack_zps6dc30931.jpg

larger:

GIJoe22ndPrinting_zps99ccebd4.jpg

Slightly OT I guess but here's the OA for "Arise, Serpentor, Arise!". I thought some of you might enjoy seeing it if you remember the cartoon :)

GIJoe_zps0fc51ff6.jpg

So it looks like the small 75s were in the bagged packs

Here's the thing, I've seen both versions in the 3-pack bags. So I don't know the history of why there are two different types. (shrug)

Great...so now I've got to start looking for 3and 5pack bags with big 75s...just to add more crazy rare items to my neurotic searching...

My second print looks a little different than all these too...Canadian edition? I will post pics when I get to that box... The original print run for the first print was lower than #1 which may explain all the prints to keep up with demand???I remember issue2 commanding a higher price than issue 1 during the 80's.

Thanks! Out of all the GI Joe episodes I must have seen when I was 12, I really just remember three things:

1) this fabulous serpentor story arc with the raiding of the tombs of famous leaders to get all the DNA to make the perfect cobra leader - what a badazz story and so far ahead of its time

2) that knowing was half the battle

3) that zartan was kickspoon

My understanding is that the bagged packs where excess comics and are the 2nd printings. They should all have black spidey on front cover.

Just realize that the black spidey is not rule of thumb since issues 23-68 have black spidey as first prints since while that period all comics had black spidey.

What everyone must realize here is that the black costume Spiderman did not exist Prior to May 1984. Starting at issue 23 of G.I. Joe ( May 1984 ) the white webbed Spidey head was replaced with the black Spidey head for 1st printings.

What this means is all 2nd printings of G.I. Joe prior to issue 23 that have the Black spiderman head were printed AFTER ( timeframe wise ) the first printing of issue 23, which is why they have the black spiderman head.

All G.I. Joe issues numbered 22 and under with a black spiderman head are 2nd printings. They have to be, because it didnt exist before that.

What everyone must realize here is that the black costume Spiderman did not exist Prior to May 1984. Starting at issue 23 of G.I. Joe ( May 1984 ) the white webbed Spidey head was replaced with the black Spidey head for 1st printings.

What this means is all 2nd printings of G.I. Joe prior to issue 23 that have the Black spiderman head were printed AFTER ( timeframe wise ) the first printing of issue 23, which is why they have the black spiderman head.

All G.I. Joe issues numbered 22 and under with a black spiderman head are 2nd printings. They have to be, because it didnt exist before that.

Not true, GI Joe 21 is a 3rd print.

I would think a second printing and a reprint are two different things.

For example since we are talking about GI Joe # 2 you would have white spidey/upc as first print, black spidey as second print and Tales of GI Joe #2 as the reprint. Also any of the books like marvel magazines or volume books that reprint the original stories.

first print

54707-3138-76156-1-g-i-joe-a-real-ame.jpg002.jpg

second print

10_149170_0_GIJoeVol12BPanicattheNorthPole.jpg

Reprint

marvel-tales-of-gi-joe-issue-2.jpg

It's funny that I just had this conversation in another thread, here is my take.

Tales of G.I. Joe # 2 is a first printing..... It's a first printing of " Tales of G.I. Joe # 2 ". It has a completly different title on the cover and indicia. Yes, it re-presents material from G.I. Joe # 2, but in my world, and overstreets, and any other comic database, it's a completely different title/ book.

Think Marvel Tales. Marvel Tales represents Amazing spiderman in order, but they are not second printings, nor are they reprints. They are first printings of " Marvel Tales" which happens to re-present material from Amazing Spiderman, and sometimes not in their entirety.

In my world, a 2nd printing and a reprint mean the same thing. A second printing is a reprint of the exact book, with the same title and idicia. Some are noted, some are not. Thats why they are hard to figure out at times, because the title and Indicia are the same ( see where im going here? ) That makes us look for other differences like prices, font sizes, Upcs and ads... So we can find signs if it came from the original print run, or a.... Second print run...a reprint...

I think 2nd and later printings are the same thing as saying reprints and I think when the material from these books are put in other titles or collected volumes they should be considered a Re-presenting of.. I think the term reprint has been used wrong for decades.

Thats just my take on it, anyhow. Proceed how you wish. There is no right or wrong here, just crazy fun comic book opinions.