• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The state of the Golden Age market
1 1

38 posts in this topic

years ago I'd have totally agreed with you; however there's no guarantee you'll live long enough to retire. After watching a perfectly healthy woman get cancer and die from it at an early age (My Mom, 55) I've learned to live a bit more for the "now" than the "later"...just my .02.

I (and my wife and kid) spend plenty of money on TODAY.

Taking a week cruise starting Sunday.

Kinda hampering my bidding on a few books that I want, dangnambit.

I bid on almost 30 GA books at the heritage auction....at present I am winning on two. All my bids were above guide and were for books across all grades...here is my 2 cents worth on what I think is happening with GA.

Of the 29 books I bid on:

The two I am winning are both GG books at 6.5. My view is that the F/VF market is very soft.

25 of the books were hit by the dreaded Heritage bump. As an example of how way out GA sellers expectations are I site 4680 Thrilling #62 in 9.4 Cream pages. I was the highest bidder before the bump....and now it is at more than 35 % of my high price which was way above OS. I doubt that this book will sell.

2 of the books have very serious bidders. The first of these is 4259 The Comics #11 7.5 Mile High. It goes without saying why this book is bucking the trend. I still think it is a crazy price but those mile highs attract huge premiums. (Sweet book though). The other I won't talk about because I may still shoot for it.

It amazes me that a lot of the restored books have such high bumps on them.

I am not bullish about GA at this time.. no one will currently sell at what the market will bare because they do not want to lose their investment and so will not lower their reserves which makes it very hard to get your hands on the books that you want.

The reserves seem ludicrously high...as you know GA CGC'd books are not usually held to the multiple of guide syndromes of the SA and BA. The average man in the street looking at the heritage auctions probably thinks that the bulk of the books have been bid up that high, little realising that they are reserved prices that IMHO will not be met.

It will be interesting to see what is up for grabs after the auction is over.

The reserves seem ludicrously high...as you know GA CGC'd books are not usually held to the multiple of guide syndromes of the SA and BA. The average man in the street looking at the heritage auctions probably thinks that the bulk of the books have been bid up that high, little realising that they are reserved prices that IMHO will not be met.

It will be interesting to see what is up for grabs after the auction is over

I hear ya.

I bet a lot of books that don't sell will be in their February Signature Auction (usually at a slightl lowery, but still way over guide price).

On 10/11/2021 at 10:14 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Yeah, just the same old, same old some almost 20 years later..............boardies talking about the impending collapse of the GA comic book market, Heritage needing to apply the "bump" to get auction prices up under the reserve, and most GA books only able to sell for discounts to condition guide, like the following book here which just finished earlier tonight:  (:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/science-comics-4-fox-1940-cgc-gd-18-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122141-13681.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Science Comics #4 (Fox, 1940) CGC GD- 1.8 Cream to off-white pages....

Sold for a measly $4,440 when compared to a CGC 2.0 Good condition price of a whopping $389. :whatthe:

Yep, now that's what I call a discount to condition guide.  lol

On 10/12/2021 at 1:06 AM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, just the same old, same old some almost 20 years later..............boardies talking about the impending collapse of the GA comic book market, Heritage needing to apply the "bump" to get auction prices up under the reserve, and most GA books only able to sell for discounts to condition guide, like the following book here which just finished earlier tonight:  (:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/science-comics-4-fox-1940-cgc-gd-18-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122141-13681.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Science Comics #4 (Fox, 1940) CGC GD- 1.8 Cream to off-white pages....

Sold for a measly $4,440 when compared to a CGC 2.0 Good condition price of a whopping $389. :whatthe:

Yeesh.  I sold that copy for probably $250 several years ago.  Guess I should have held onto it.  

On 10/12/2021 at 11:25 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’ll diary my calendar and give this thread another bump in 20 years. And I agree with your crystal ball reading 

This entire thread should be placed in a time capsule and buried in the cornerstone of a building to be opened 100 years from now.  When the cornerstone is uncapped on the groundbreaking of the new site of Promise Collectibles Auctions and Insurance LLC, Inc., a dancing frog will be overlooked by the drooling media as the news story of the day will be 20th century GA comics revisited as a collectible curiosity in a paperless world.  CrystalBall2.gif

:tink:

Given the popularity of the MCU, it's hard to imagine any of the Timely, Atlas or Marvel silver age superhero books ever declining in dollar value.  They may not keep up with other things you could invest in, but there's never going to be any more than there are now, and given that comics in general have become a mainstream investment vehicle it's easy to see why.  Just my 2c.  Our family will continue to invest in them!

Edited by Figment

On 5/6/2005 at 11:21 PM, tth2 said:

We'll find out in May, after the Heritage auction. Lots of nice GA in there.

What did we learn?:popcorn:

On 10/12/2021 at 12:06 AM, lou_fine said:

Definitely makes me think I’ll never own a Science 4, which is a huge bummer because it’s such an awesome cover!