• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need a backer for an amazing collection

71 posts in this topic

I'd still be down for throwing an old school beatdown on a would-be scammer.

Sorry, y'all. I feel like an .

If I hear from this guy ever ( and I'm sure there will be some kind of request for a "deposit" or transfer) I will try and follow up to see if I can get some info that would lead to Stronguy being able to give that beatdown.

I guess I'd rather be thought a potential sucker than a scammer, so feel free to ridicule away.

This looks fishy. I know where you found this guy.. and I see that he is spamming his ad in multiple places. It looked to me like someone was playing a joke or setting some people up to be scammed. Perhaps the books are stolen goods? Out of respect for the original poster, I won't divulge where I found the ad (in case it turns out to be legit), but I fear for his personal safety, and cash on hand, if he chooses to visit this guy.

Some strageness about the situation:

- His photo shows only a few of the books in his list but also a Tales of Suspense #39 that is not mentioned in his ad.

- He claims that one of the AF #15s is in vf/nm 9.0 condition.

- The other AF #15 is in 2.5 VG condition. (huh??)

- The Spidey #1 is so white, it looks like it just came out of an inkjet printer. (It's as white as the backing board.)

Seems too good to be true to me. Be careful, limited66!

Here's the image in question:

impossible.jpg

I swear I have seen that comforter on these boards somewhere. hm

I knew I recognized that table top from another thread!

from: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2128936&fpart=1

6kqz610.gif

I had compared it to the white mountain copy in this animation.

The ebay listing is gone from about a yr ago, but you can clearly see the tablecloth and the two AF 15s side by side from the original thread photo.

Saw this post in the Los Angeles CL section. Sorry to be harsh, but why, for even a second, did you think this was legitimate? You have the latest Overstreet, don't you? Assuming the post was legit, then that collection would be worth nearly 100K. Plus, all the books are key - very suspicious.

good work, bronzerules.

and in addition, the tablecloth is mentioned in that thread as having been seen before!

yikes, that tablecloth gets more action than I do.

I saw the Craigslist add as well. This is the response I got when I replied.

Hi there,

I'm contacting you regarding my Comics Collection I had advertised for sale on craigslist. The company that placed the ad for me, advertised my comics nationwide so I guess that you've come across upon the ad in the local classifieds.

First of all I have to tell you that I don't know much about comics and this was inherited from my grandfather who died 6 months ago and he was a collector.I am currently stationed in Kabul,Afganistan in Marine Corps and the comics are here with me.2 months ago before I got deployed here my husband and I got divorced and he won the house by court's decision so now I am

homless and I have to sell this collection.I have asked over the internet and I have received the answer that I can sell them for the price of $9000 but I am opened to other offer since for me they don't mean much to me so I think we can gain both of us since u are a collector and I need the money

For security reasons I want to make this deal through eBay (www.ebay.com) because this way both seller and buyer

are protected I have made my deals only through them and I think this is the best way to close this deal.

If you are interested in buying it please provide me your Full Name ,Address and eBay ID so I can initiate the deal through

eBay.

Please see below the complete description of the collection and pictures :

AMAZING FANTASY #15

AMAZING FANTASY #15

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #1

AVENGERS #1

FANTASTIC FOUR #1

HULK #1

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #83

TALES OF SUSPENCE #39

X-MEN #1

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #3

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #14

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #129 X3

HULK 181 X3

GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1 X2

X-MEN #94 X3

AVENGERS #4

DAREDEVIL #7

FANTASTIC FOUR #48 X3

FANTASTIC FOUR #49

FFANTASTIC FOUR #50

Amazing Fantasy #15 - very fine/neamint 9.0 off white pages

Amazing Fantasy #15 - vg 2.5 cream pages

Avengers #1 - fine + 6.0 off white pages no marvel chipping

Avengers #4 - very fine/nearmint 9.0 off white pages

Amazing Spiderman #1 - very fine/nearmint 9.0 off white pages

Amazing Spiderman #3 - 3.0 cream pages

Amazing Spiderman #14 - 2.0 cream to off white pages

Amazing Spiderman #129 - 8.0 off white to white pages

Amazing Spiderman #129 - 9.4 white pages

Daredevil #1 - very fine off white pages

Daredevil #7 - very fine + 8.5 white pages

Fantastic Four #1 - 4.5

Fantastic Four #48 - 7.0 white pages

Fantastic Four #48 - 8.5 cream to off white pages

Fantastic Four #48 - 9.0 white pages

Fantastic Four #s49&50 - very fine

Hulk #1 - fine 5.0 off white pages

Hulk #181 - 8.0

Hulk #181 - 9.0

Hulk #181 - 9.2

Tales of Suspence #39 - 2.0 off white pages

Journey Into Mystery #83 - 8.0 cream to off white pages

X-Men #1 - 4.5 off white pages

X-Men #94 - 8.0 off white to white pages

X-Men #94 - 9.2

X-Men #94 - 9.0 off white pages

Gient Size X-Men #1 - 9.0 white pages

Giant Size X-Men #1 - 9.2 off white pages

Daredevil #1

Saw this post in the Los Angeles CL section. Sorry to be harsh, but why, for even a second, did you think this was legitimate? You have the latest Overstreet, don't you? Assuming the post was legit, then that collection would be worth nearly 100K. Plus, all the books are key - very suspicious.

The one I saw had no conditions listed and said it was original which I took to mean original owner. I figured these might be lower grade so that the whole colelction would be worth around 30K or so. The economy is bad, people need money - you never know.

As soon as I heard it was listed anywhere else, I knew it was a scam.

I saw the Craigslist add as well. This is the response I got when I replied.

Hi there,

I'm contacting you regarding my Comics Collection I had advertised for sale on craigslist. The company that placed the ad for me, advertised my comics nationwide so I guess that you've come across upon the ad in the local classifieds.

First of all I have to tell you that I don't know much about comics and this was inherited from my grandfather who died 6 months ago and he was a collector.I am currently stationed in Kabul,Afganistan in Marine Corps and the comics are here with me.2 months ago before I got deployed here my husband and I got divorced and he won the house by court's decision so now I am

homless and I have to sell this collection.I have asked over the internet and I have received the answer that I can sell them for the price of $9000 but I am opened to other offer since for me they don't mean much to me so I think we can gain both of us since u are a collector and I need the money

For security reasons I want to make this deal through eBay (www.ebay.com) because this way both seller and buyer

are protected I have made my deals only through them and I think this is the best way to close this deal.

If you are interested in buying it please provide me your Full Name ,Address and eBay ID so I can initiate the deal through

eBay.

Please see below the complete description of the collection and pictures :

AMAZING FANTASY #15

AMAZING FANTASY #15

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #1

AVENGERS #1

FANTASTIC FOUR #1

HULK #1

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #83

TALES OF SUSPENCE #39

X-MEN #1

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #3

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #14

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #129 X3

HULK 181 X3

GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1 X2

X-MEN #94 X3

AVENGERS #4

DAREDEVIL #7

FANTASTIC FOUR #48 X3

FANTASTIC FOUR #49

FFANTASTIC FOUR #50

Amazing Fantasy #15 - very fine/neamint 9.0 off white pages

Amazing Fantasy #15 - vg 2.5 cream pages

Avengers #1 - fine + 6.0 off white pages no marvel chipping

Avengers #4 - very fine/nearmint 9.0 off white pages

Amazing Spiderman #1 - very fine/nearmint 9.0 off white pages

Amazing Spiderman #3 - 3.0 cream pages

Amazing Spiderman #14 - 2.0 cream to off white pages

Amazing Spiderman #129 - 8.0 off white to white pages

Daredevil #1 - very fine off white pages

Daredevil #7 - very fine + 8.5 white pages

Fantastic Four #1 - 4.5

Fantastic Four #48 - 7.0 white pages

Fantastic Four #48 - 8.5 cream to off white pages

Fantastic Four #48 - 9.0 white pages

Fantastic Four #s49&50 - very fine

Hulk #1 - fine 5.0 off white pages

Hulk #181 - 8.0

Hulk #181 - 9.0

Hulk #181 - 9.2

Tales of Suspence #39 - 2.0 off white pages

Journey Into Mystery #83 - 8.0 cream to off white pages

X-Men #1 - 4.5 off white pages

X-Men #94 - 8.0 off white to white pages

X-Men #94 - 9.2

X-Men #94 - 9.0 off white pages

Gient Size X-Men #1 - 9.0 white pages

Giant Size X-Men #1 - 9.2 off white pages

Daredevil #1

tales of suspence- i'm all over that variant spelling edition. and what's the grade on the DD #1, need one of those.

grandfather died,

marine,

afghanistan

homeless

female

divorced

the scammer covered all his bases.

lol

Exactly what I thought...piece of mess scammer...hoping to push the right buttons and win people over through sympathy :mad:

Pure wildly_fanciful_statement...

First, if she was in the military and divorced she wouldn't be homeless. The military would move her into the dorms. Happens everyday...

As far as having the comics in Kabul. It could be possible but unlikely. Customs would have gone through each comic with a fine tooth comb to make sure they didn't have offensive material (even flashes of female skin gets the axe). So while it's completely possible she has the comics, they've been through the ringer to get there...

Jim

If I hear from this guy ever ( and I'm sure there will be some kind of request for a "deposit" or transfer) I will try and follow up to see if I can get some info that would lead to Stronguy being able to give that beatdown.

I guess I'd rather be thought a potential sucker than a scammer, so feel free to ridicule away.

No need for ridicule, you didn't know. We all have had our share of eyes as big as saucers in hopes of landing something more then it really is.

Question I want to know is how many vultures, I mean people offered to assist you! (myself included)

No need for ridicule, you didn't know. We all have had our share of eyes as big as saucers in hopes of landing something more then it really is.

Question I want to know is how many vultures, I mean people offered to assist you! (myself included)

Eight people offered help and a couple wrote to express interest in buying some of the books if the deal went through.

I don't think of them as vultures, if something like this were real I'd have been happy to work with any of them, take a small finder's fee and maybe one of the Giant X-men #1 or ASM 129s in lower grade in return.

I've written each of them and told them this thing is a scam. I know reputation is very important here on the boards and I hope mine isn't too damaged by coming off like a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Seriously, as you said the only thing you are guilty of is trying to follow through on a deal in front of you. You were not responsible for it, just being taken in by it.

As far as I am concerned it's water under the bridge, lesson learned, moving on, no harm no foul.. etc..etc..