• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underrated Artists (new art)

14 posts in this topic

I am long delayed in making this post. But I got a couple of fabulous pieces from lesser-known artists here in the GTA (Toronto).

1. Kent Burles I commissioned a Kent Burles sketch at a comicon a few months ago. I'd been looking for an artist who could do a clasically styled Galactus since Kirby pages are out of my pricerange. I won't divulge the price, but this was a con sketch. He actually didn't finish it at the 'con so he phoned one night and DROPPED IT BY MY APARTMENT. Just came by with it-- definitely the coolest thing ever. I'm posting his information because he's super-nice and extremely talented. Hopefully he gets a couple of commissions out of this because what you get for the price from him is jaw-dropping. You can reach him here: kmburles@cogeco.ca . His website is http://www.kentburles.ca/sketchpad/ . Check out his Shuster tribute on the site. It's amazing.

Galactus.jpg

2. Francis Manapul I've posted work by him before but this Flash piece blew me away. It might be my favorite piece of OA. Francis, I believe, is still doing work for DC comics with Jim Shooter right now. Hopefully he'll be more high-profile because of this. This was part of a Hero Initiative auction. Thanks to Peter Dixon of Paradise Comics for helping me acquire this piece (long story).

flash.jpg

I've never heard of Kent Burles before, but that is a cool piece, amazing for a "con sketch". Even more amazing is his customer service! Incredible!!

Thanks for the stories and tips on new artists.

I've never heard of Kent Burles before, but that is a cool piece, amazing for a "con sketch".

He illustrated some of the issues of "The Adventurers" in the '80s.

He was also the artist on Planet of The Apes in the '80s.

I've never heard of Kent Burles before, but that is a cool piece, amazing for a "con sketch".

He illustrated some of the issues of "The Adventurers" in the '80s.

He was also the artist on Planet of The Apes in the '80s.

...and some later issues of Nexus ;)

I fell in love with this guys Art! His name is Burcham and he self publishes under Incarna Publishing.

He is currently negotiating with IMAGE on some projects.

I went crazy a few months ago and bought a bunch from him. He sells on Ebay

These are patterned after Characters In Edgar Rice Buroughs At the earths core series of Books. Click on the thumbnails!

th_IMG0017100001.jpg

th_IMG00172.jpg

th_IMG00173.jpg

th_IMG00174.jpg

th_IMG00175.jpg

th_IMG00176.jpg

th_IMG00177.jpg

th_IMG00178.jpg

th_IMG00179.jpg

th_IMG00180.jpg

th_IMG00181.jpg

th_IMG00182.jpg

th_IMG00183.jpg

th_IMG00184.jpg

th_IMG00185.jpg

th_IMG00186.jpg

His work is gorgeous!!! I *need* something from him. Is Ebay the only way he sells, or does he take commissions?

He does commissions I beleive his EBAY handle is gerbjr, but you can find him under INCARNA

I fell in love with this guys Art! His name is Burcham and he self publishes under Incarna Publishing.

He is currently negotiating with IMAGE on some projects.

I went crazy a few months ago and bought a bunch from him. He sells on Ebay

These are patterned after Characters In Edgar Rice Buroughs At the earths core series of Books. Click on the thumbnails!

th_IMG0017100001.jpg

th_IMG00172.jpg

th_IMG00173.jpg

th_IMG00174.jpg

th_IMG00175.jpg

th_IMG00176.jpg

th_IMG00177.jpg

th_IMG00178.jpg

th_IMG00179.jpg

th_IMG00180.jpg

th_IMG00181.jpg

th_IMG00182.jpg

th_IMG00183.jpg

th_IMG00184.jpg

th_IMG00185.jpg

th_IMG00186.jpg

Thanks for sharing those! I love the drill ship surfacing piece.

Thats one of my favorites! I love the Detail, I forgot to mention it the peice directly below that, with the Skull on the Cover is a Homage to RED NAILS by Robert E Howard!

Burcham does some cool Vampirella stuff and Betty Page as well!!

Greg Ruth is underrated. Most artists who use a "fine art" painting style in comics get very little attention, as opposed to the "line art superhero" artists. But Ruth's stuff (Freaks of the Heartland, Conan: Born on the Battlefield) is truly superb.

For hero art, I find myself liking Trevor Hairsine. Josh Medors can do a STUNNING superhero splash, but he gets relegated to minor titles with little opportunity to show what he can do, and he farts around on commissions for a year.

David Mack is hands-down my favorite artist, when he's doing his "Echo"-arc style. I've never loved his "Kabuki" art.