• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for advice

28 posts in this topic

I have been perusing the market and its quickly realized by me that most of the available OA is priced far out of my range. I understand that original pieces can demand a premium for their uniqueness.

I would like to see some advice on how to break into OA collecting on a relatively limited budget. It doesnt have to be awesome splash pages but I would like to start collecting a few pieces that would grace my office walls.

Any suggestions on how to ease myself into the hobby?

Shooty,

First off, don't let the posts on here of XXXX cover sold for $XXK. OA can be had for much cheaper. If anyone knows about collecting on a budget, its this guy(Just ask anyone I have bought from :insane: ).

I think the first thing that has been beat into the ground in this forum and many others is "WHAT IS YOUR COMFORTABLE COLLECTING BUDGET?" and will you be happy with the art that that budget affords, or will the only thing to satiate your appetite be that Romita cover?

There is a thread title "What art can you get for $300?" Check it out. Not everything is a four figure purchase.

I can show you many many examples in my collection of art WELL under $300. Sure I don't own any Bolland, Kirby, Ditko ect, but I'm pretty happy with what I do have, even if Hart thinks it's all carp.

There's bargains to be had everywhere you just have to look. Check out my CAF page it's not much but I didn't spend a mint on my pieces. Start out small, There are good artists out there that aren't big names but still talented. But most of all buy what you like.

My advice, do as much research online as you can...figure out what you can afford, narrow down what character/artist you want and get going. Look at Ebay, Heritage, Comicartfans, and I sometimes use dragonberry.com to get a good list of art dealers out there. I bought quite a few really nice pieces last year for 100 or less.

I have been perusing the market and its quickly realized by me that most of the available OA is priced far out of my range. I understand that original pieces can demand a premium for their uniqueness.

I would like to see some advice on how to break into OA collecting on a relatively limited budget. It doesnt have to be awesome splash pages but I would like to start collecting a few pieces that would grace my office walls.

Any suggestions on how to ease myself into the hobby?

Set time machine to 1988

1998 is good enough

Plenty of bargains were around back then

Very true. I recall some of the Byrne FF pieces on Graphic Collectibles...I think that the DPS trial of Reed Richard was priced at $500 back then...

Mike Royer was also selling some nice Kirby pieces (listed in the Jack Kirby Collector if memory serves me)

...and I prefer not to think about Mignola doh!

F.

If you're looking for something 10X higher in price than your monthly budget, just set aside your monthly budget every month for 10 months while simultaneously being on the lookout for that "one right piece."

Believe me, if you buy one piece a year, but it's something you will truly treasure for the rest of your life, then it's worth it. In 10 years, you will have 10 treasures.

When I first started collecting I always had to be scratching the itch. Don't give in and buy something just to buy something. Be patient. Very patient. And discerning. Make a list of exactly what you want.

Good luck!! (thumbs u

If you're looking for something 10X higher in price than your monthly budget, just set aside your monthly budget every month for 10 months while simultaneously being on the lookout for that "one right piece."

Only problem with putting aside money, is that prices tend to skyrocket. So by the time savings have been made, the type of art you want may well have increased in value.

A deposit with time payments might be worth considering. (shrug)

if you look at my gallery, I haven't spent more than $600 on any piece and that was only covers. 95% of my OA was $300 or less.

Only problem with putting aside money, is that prices tend to skyrocket. So by the time savings have been made, the type of art you want may well have increased in value.

Yeah, sometimes you definitely need to do that 0% credit card pay something all the way off if you haven't saved up quite enough. ;) If you can get time payments with a reputable seller, that's great too, but of course puts you in a tough situation if you have trouble making the payments.

Well, the skyrocket assumption is a bubble mentality. Sure, occasionally something is mispriced and it gets snatched up fast, but assuming that things keep on going up and up.. well, that's why we are in this mess now!

Malvin

It may depend on whether you buy based on the artist or the character. If you buy based on the character, it will be easier to find affordable options (for instance, my wife loves Batman and the Joker, and I found a piece of original art, w/ both of them, from a coloring book. Only cost me $75, and she LOVES it.)

If you buy based on the character, you may be more likely to be happy w/ sketches, which tend to be cheaper than OA from the comics, from what I've seen. Some artists charge steep prices for commission sketches, though.

If you buy based on the artist, your prices will probably vary a lot more. I've seen OA pages go as low as $25. Even if you go w/ some of the bigger names like Bob Layton, you can get Iron Man pages as low as $60, if not cheaper.

If you chase big fish, though, they may be out of your range. You'll see the saying on this board a lot - buy what you like and what you can afford. I'd rather have a "Hulk vs. Thing" sketch that I like, and can put on my wall and look at, than be miserable because I can't afford a Kirby page w/ Hulk vs. Thing on it.

Cheap is easy, I think, even for someone with shallow pockets. Like me.

There's some great advice on this board. The thing I took to heart is to focus your collection. If you only want cheap, there are inexpensive pieces all over Ebay. But by collecting on price and whim, you'll mostly likely be putting those same pieces back on the auction block within a few months.

Look for what really moves you and matters to you. A panel page from a great series (for me, something from Tom Strong or Promethea) or issue that you loved will carry good value that you'll appreciate even if others sold it to you for a small price.

There is an abundance of cheap, GOOD, art to be had. case in point.

I got a Tim Sale Dark Victory splash of the Ridder from Malvin 6 months ago for under 300.00 on Ebay.

A dealer would be asking double or triple that.

Your best bet, is just watch Ebay. Things still sell at pre-2006 prices on there from time to time.