• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How will fall of Canadian dollar affect your buying?

81 posts in this topic

everybody there has free universal health insurance and goverment pays for your college.so free health insurance and free college.

What freaking country is this in? Did someone set up a "New Canada" where my kids can go to post-secondary for free? :o

It's called Belgium :cloud9:

Look what happened to your "Country"?

everybody there has free universal health insurance and goverment pays for your college.so free health insurance and free college.

What freaking country is this in? Did someone set up a "New Canada" where my kids can go to post-secondary for free? :o

It's still in one piece (shrug)

It's still in one piece (shrug)

:cry:

not even the costs of some of the most presigious private schools in Canada can compare with the tuition costs at schools like Harvard, Princeton or Yale.

Whoa! When did we get upscale, private Universities on par with the Ivy League?

I need to get out more.

Here's the real deal:

On average, Canadian post-secondary students will pay approximately $4,500 per year in tuition fees, which is on-par with what post-secondary students in the US going to a State University or College (the only real comparison, since we don't have Harvards or Yales up here) will pay.

Canada used to offer a very low-cost post-secondary education, but since transfer payments have been curtailed, it has more than quadrupled since the early-90's, and the Canadian average will probably soon pass the US average.

I agree with you, Comicwiz, the Canadian government does pay for much of the tuition "behind the scenes" but it is not free as someone's earlier post indicated.

My three daughters will be hitting the College/University days in a few years' time, each year will run at least $6,000 just in tuition per child, OUCH.

I'll have to sell off my collection of Slash Maraud, Adolescent Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters and ROM to pay for them. :grin:

not even the costs of some of the most presigious private schools in Canada can compare with the tuition costs at schools like Harvard, Princeton or Yale.

Whoa! When did we get upscale, private Universities on par with the Ivy League?

I need to get out more.

I meant private schools like Upper Canada College (UCC) and Ridley College, and that while the prices at these schools are high, they don't come close to the Ivy League schools in the US.

I meant private schools like Upper Canada College (UCC) and Ridley College, and that while the prices at these schools are high, they don't come close to the Ivy League schools in the US.

Obviously, since they're not the same thing. Private daycare doesn't cost the same as Yale either. :insane:

I stopped selling and started buying a lot more while the CAD dollar was up. If the US dollar remains high I will slow back my buying (to normal levels) and start selling again. I took advantage of the low US dollar and bought a lot of bigger comics that I wanted....it was great while it lasted.

My tuition for this year was about 5K, give or take a couple hundred bucks. I don't qualify for any government funding because of my assets. Don't know where this idea of "free education" came from, but if you have money you get squat from the government. It's how it should be, I suppose.

As for "free healthcare"... lol I've given half my income to the government for several years now and I have yet to visit the Hospital as a patient.

I spent the last year of near-par building up a decent EC collection. Last week I picked up two bigger-ticket books, but it looks like those days are over. It was nice while it lasted! I went years without buying anything when a USD cost $1.40 or more... I hope it doesn't get that bad. Slabbing books with that exchange rate won't work out either.

As for "free healthcare"... lol I've given half my income to the government for several years now and I have yet to visit the Hospital as a patient.

In two weeks it will be 2 years since I had had a severe allergic reaction to some shrimp that made it's way into my chicken dish at a Thai restaurant. I collapsed on the way to the emergency room and had to have a crash cart revive me just enough to get me to the emergency room at Mt. Sinai hospital. I woke up a few hours later in the intensive care ward and I'm lucky to have survived the experience.

If I lived in the US I'm pretty certain I would be trying to kill myself paying the bills for the procedures used to save my life. As it was I have our free healthcare system to thank for keeping my alive and not in debt (financially, that is) to the people that saved me.

Tax away, Canadian government, tax away.

As for the changing dollars... sell more, buy less. Will this last? Hard to say.

In two weeks it will be 2 years since I had had a severe allergic reaction to some shrimp that made it's way into my chicken dish at a Thai restaurant. I collapsed on the way to the emergency room and had to have a crash cart revive me just enough to get me to the emergency room at Mt. Sinai hospital. I woke up a few hours later in the intensive care ward and I'm lucky to have survived the experience.

If I lived in the US I'm pretty certain I would be trying to kill myself paying the bills for the procedures used to save my life. As it was I have our free healthcare system to thank for keeping my alive and not in debt (financially, that is) to the people that saved me.

As for the changing dollars... sell more, buy less. Will this last? Hard to say.

Totally agree with your sentiments Kevin (worship) I also don't know of anyone paying an income tax rate of 50% whether they make $25,000 a year or $250,000 :screwy:

Jim

My tuition for this year was about 5K, give or take a couple hundred bucks. I don't qualify for any government funding because of my assets. Don't know where this idea of "free education" came from, but if you have money you get squat from the government. It's how it should be, I suppose.

Certainly no better in Canada for college than the US.

In California, you can get a bachelor's degree for less than $9,500 in tuition. (Investing that changes your average earnings from $17k a year to $42k a year. Probably make back enough to cover four years worth of loans in your first year of employment.)

Community college costs $20 a credit/unit. 60 units for an AA in 2 years will set you back $1,200.

Cal State schools are just over $4k a year.

I think the 50% figure some people cite includes all forms of taxes not just personal income tax, that is sales tax, land transfer tax , sin taxes, property taxes, education taxes etc which is the reason why Tax Freedom day in Canada occurs half way through the year.

In comparison to other countries its more a payment for services and we naturally get more services for that higher percentage.

For half of what you paid in taxes you probably could have gotten yourself a really good policy and been out the door for a $100 copay. Or you could have just not purchased any insurance (as many here in the US do) and mooch off the rest of society. You see, what most people don't know is that hospitals in the US must provide care to you if you go in... it's the law. The beauty of our system is that you have the option (freedom) to take care of yourself or not. No one is yanking money out of your paycheck every month to pay for those who don't see healthcare as necessary. And before someone chimes in and says insurance is too expensive... many, many, many of the people who don't have it choose not to of their own free will. I didn't have insurance for about 7 years because I just didn't need or want it.

For half of what you paid in taxes you probably could have gotten yourself a really good policy and been out the door for a $100 copay.

Exactly.

You see, what most people don't know is that hospitals in the US must provide care to you if you go in... it's the law.

Actually that is incorrect. ER's are required by law to provide care in emergent situations, not any situation. However, by the time a patient is screened to see if it is an emergency or not it is easier to just see the patient. You can be refused to be seen for a runny nose, low grade temp, cold, or any other non-emergency.