• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How hard is it to cut 2 pieces of cardboard???

48 posts in this topic

I don't get it. Why do the majority of people I buy comics from pack like . I just recieved a book today and it is only by chance that it did not get damaged in transit. Is it so hard to cut two pieces of cardboard and sandwich the book between them. The book came from a power seller of comics and an acclaimed advisor to the OBG and should know better.

Ahhh.. I could go on but I am sure this subject has been presented here before but it is frustrating and I needed to let off some steam. crazy.gif

The answers are apathy and indifference. To many people are lazy and/or don't care about doing a good job. Many think that their poor packaging is a stellar job.

One time, I was in a eBay discussion, on their forums, and it was about packaging. Most of the people's mindset was that as long as item(s) arrived unharmed that it doesn't matter how it is packaged. So, I asked them if they had bought a gaming system from me and I shipped it in a paper bag that was stapled closed would they have a problem with that and no response.

To many people have lost, or didn't have in the first place, the ability to think of the other person when dealing with them. They only consider what is in their own mind and that becomes their gauge of right or wrong and they lack empathy.

I, once, got a couple comics only sandwiched between what looked a side from a cereal box and the lid from a shoe box and the stamp was placed on one of the sides. Seller told me they use corrugated cardboard and they said that since I paid fast they grabbed anything they could fine so they could ship out fast. They just did not care and couldn't get the point.

I love the people who ship un-bagged/boarded in a bubble mailer. They usually don't even mark "do not bend" on it. These are usually non-comic people but have gotton a few from some known comic sellers too.

I'm not a real big dollar or high grade guy so I have been pretty lucky. I only buy higher dollar books from people who know better. If I was a high grade guy, I would only buy slabbed books on the bay.

I use a large paper cutter at work. We get in a lot of electronic products packed in double wall corrugate boxes. People that know me save it for me. A never ending supply of real still cardboard.

One more thing, always tape the book to one of the sheets to prevent it from shifting around in transit. I learned that MANY moons ago the hard way.

I don't get it. Why do the majority of people I buy comics from pack like . I just recieved a book today and it is only by chance that it did not get damaged in transit. Is it so hard to cut two pieces of cardboard and sandwich the book between them. The book came from a power seller of comics and an acclaimed advisor to the OBG and should know better.

Ahhh.. I could go on but I am sure this subject has been presented here before but it is frustrating and I needed to let off some steam. crazy.gif

The answers are apathy and indifference. To many people are lazy and/or don't care about doing a good job. Many think that their poor packaging is a stellar job.

One time, I was in a eBay discussion, on their forums, and it was about packaging. Most of the people's mindset was that as long as item(s) arrived unharmed that it doesn't matter how it is packaged. So, I asked them if they had bought a gaming system from me and I shipped it in a paper bag that was stapled closed would they have a problem with that and no response.

To many people have lost, or didn't have in the first place, the ability to think of the other person when dealing with them. They only consider what is in their own mind and that becomes their gauge of right or wrong and they lack empathy.

I, once, got a couple comics only sandwiched between what looked a side from a cereal box and the lid from a shoe box and the stamp was placed on one of the sides. Seller told me they use corrugated cardboard and they said that since I paid fast they grabbed anything they could fine so they could ship out fast. They just did not care and couldn't get the point.

This. :golfclap: I've dealt with people like this not only on eBay. But here on the boards.

I once received a comic no bag no board vanilla envelope. It was completely mangled. I messaged the seller hey FYI look at the book I just received. It was only $3 so I'm not leaving bad FB but you might want to work on your packaging. No reply no apology no nothing.

Who was it?

Probably Midtown Comics - stay away from these people! Shipped me 8 comics in an envelope with NO cardboard protection of any kind. Just threw the comics in the envelope and hope for the best! Absolutely no care for their product once it left their store. Profits above all else. I'm going to be creating another thread on my experience (with some pics) in order to help warn other hobbyists who love comics not to order from them or risk disappointment and financial loss. They refused refund/exchange or compromise in any way.

I once received a comic no bag no board vanilla envelope. It was completely mangled. I messaged the seller hey FYI look at the book I just received. It was only $3 so I'm not leaving bad FB but you might want to work on your packaging. No reply no apology no nothing.

Several years ago, I bought a minty-looking comic magazine from somebody. They sent it rolled up inside a tall, rectangular box.

The thing was, it was not a tight roll, and I was able to re-flatten it without damage. The magazine otherwise was unharmed and now is one of the nicest copies of anything in my collection.

The moral of the story is -- bags and boards, who needs 'em? And shipping flat? No way man. Roll that comic or magazine right on up.

This is the New Way.

Are Vanilla envelopes tasty? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

When I first got on the boards I purchased a VF batman 245 from a fairly prominent boardie(ebay transaction from board member) who still sells here a lot today. He sent the book in a plain envelope (no cardboard) which resulted in the book being punctured right in the middle of the book -goes through whole book. No refund just a "sorry I goofed".

Who was it?

Probably Midtown Comics - stay away from these people! Shipped me 8 comics in an envelope with NO cardboard protection of any kind. Just threw the comics in the envelope and hope for the best! Absolutely no care for their product once it left their store. Profits above all else. I'm going to be creating another thread on my experience (with some pics) in order to help warn other hobbyists who love comics not to order from them or risk disappointment and financial loss. They refused refund/exchange or compromise in any way.

This surprises me. One time I ordered about 6 or so books from Midtown. My neighborhood had a fill-in postal worker delivering mail, and instead of setting the package on my front porch like our usual mail-lady, the person bent it completely in half and stuffed it in the mailbox.

I did a live chat with Midtown and told them I knew it wasn't their fault but asked if there was anything I could do. They gave me a return label, and as soon as my books were in transit, Midtown sent me all new books with no hassle. :shrug:

I purchased a HG western comic from ebay, about the time this thread was started. I asked the seller to use cardboard. He put a thick piece in the centerfold. It ruined the spine.

did you put it in traction?

I started using these a few years ago and they're excellent. I also get cardboard from a local shipper that works great and they save me the perfect size strips.

Yeah, this thread looks a bit old lol

I've been getting more and more comics shipped to me in these lately. I love reusing them.

This. :golfclap: I've dealt with people like this not only on eBay. But here on the boards.

There is a great misperception, especially among n00bs here that if you're on these boards ( especially for several years ) it makes one an expert. I find it amusing as there are "well respected boardies" who couldn't find a clue if it bit them on the .

Luckily there are a large number of seasoned boardies ( and newer ones ) who do know what they're doing :cloud9: