• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay seller with 0 feedback selling some sweet comics

26 posts in this topic

He also lowered the price on the Hulk #1 to $475 which would be a great deal.

I think he is legit too, but doesn't know what he's doing.

Exactly....and no I didn't make him an offer, just asked where he got the pricing from....

Steve

When I see these new sellers starting out with Key books even if they

are legit it makes you think why wouldn't a seller build up some

feedback with some of his less expensive books first, then bring out

the big guns. (shrug)

True, but you have to give this seller props for doing the video w/ today's paper showing the books ... if the scans were larger & the starting price wasn't insane, that would be enough to make me throw in a bid on his Daredevil #1.

I wrote to him about his Avengers #1 and suggested that he should supply bigger scans, and lower his starting bid from $1500. I said that it was impossible to grade the book accurately based on the existing scan, but I COULD see at least 8 color-breaking spine stress lines, which would knock this down well below a 7.0 - and given some of the other apparent flaws visible in the scan, it might be a 4.0--5.0 book. I said that if he wanted to attract serious buyers, he should (1) do a bit more homework about grading, (2) provide large scans, and (3) list/sell some lower cost books FIRST in order to establish trust in your grading with serious collectors, and THEN list these big-ticket items. I told him that CGC 4.0-5.0 books are selling for $1000-1200 these days, and since he's an unknown seller with a raw book and tiny scans, he might fetch $500-600.

Here's his response:

I appreciate any and all feedback whether its positive or negative. A while back I found a site that I copied and pasted the link to as you will notice on each comic that I am selling and that is what I went by. If the rating system is what they go by, then my description is dead on. But I kinda look at it like this as well... this comic is in great shape and I am trying to describe it and use the only tools available to me to relay the condition of it to others, but it comes down to this; the value on anything is only established by one true measure which is the amount the buyer will pay and what the seller will take. In this case, I am willing to take $1500.00. If someone buys it for that, I think they got a great comic at a fair price and I offer the 7 day refund in case they see its not what they expected. As far as the "CGC" rating.. I never use that in my description as a reference at all, the ONLY reference I use is the one where I added the link.

The comic has actually has about 12 stress lines, not cracks on the spine side. I don't consider this a "crack" because when you open the book and hold it up to a light, you can't see through it. You can see light coming through next to the staple at the bottom a little. I'll try to make a bigger scan for you but when I tried to upload the large scan, it wouldn't accept it. Let me see what I can do but it will be tonight.. i have to get to work. Thanks again for writing and I hope I explained my methods well enough.

He also sent me a link to CLink's Avengers listings, where two CGC 7.0 copies are listed: one sold for $4275 and the other is up to $3450.

I wrote back and kindly told him his book isn't a F/VF or 7.0, nor is it CGC graded, nor does he have CLink's reputation as a seller, nor did he provide high resolution scans like they do on CLink. But I'm sure he's lost in a $4275 fantasy land and he won't be swayed.