• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

did CLINK auction results get pulled from GPA?

148 posts in this topic

I wonder why ComicLink auctions seem to be so successful when some of the others do not? hm

I've been wondering myself but every book I list seems to get knocked out of the park...and it's not just auctions...it's consignment books. I list consignment books at what I think are extremely strong and aggressive prices and someone simply pops the BIN within hours or days of me listing it. That tells me several things....

1) I may have gotten more for the book at auction if the book disappears within hours or minutes.

2) Josh definately has some loyal buyers.

I can list a handful of examples that I've mentioned in the past but you guys get the point.

R.

I don't know if I agree with that or not. I don't see comic collectors as necessarily being loyal customers. If you are talking about new issues that are published on a monthly basis, then yeah, maybe. They are loyal as long as they get what they want. Back issues are a whole other animal altogether.

If they find a book they want desperately enough, they will buy it from someone who has screwed them over repeatedly in hopes that since they really need the book, somehow this time will be different. I find it fascinating that someone would have a loyalty to a specific auction or consignment site, especially when you don't even see loyalty among the very members of this board.

One has a loyalty to an individual, not a business. For example, I make a point of seeking out World Wide Comics because of Stephen Ritter. If Stephen were to sell his business to someone else, I don't know how eager I would be to look them up at each show. Maybe that's just me.

To me, auction houses and consignment sites are similar to Wal-Mart. You go in, you find what you want, you buy it and leave. All of their activity revolves around drawing more customers and selling more items. Everything is calculated, just like ComicLink not providing information to GPA is a calculated decision.

Well, I guess that was long winded.

...but how does that refute my arguement that Josh has loyal customers?

(shrug)

FYI, there is no such agreement.

Interesting. That's surprising, and disturbing.

Where you expecting an agreement?

We are talking about open source intelligence after all, and even if the site required a login to view results, there would still be aspects of the site (application platform) that are "shared" or open source. This is the part of the discussion I I find the most interesting because the current trend of the Web is leaning and structuring itself more and more on "open" and "social' principles, and when you hear Websites doing the opposite it leaves the impression that they are moving in an outdated direction and positioning themselves with the false hope of reinventing the wheel.

I wasn`t talking about the auction houses that have their results out in the open. I was talking about dealers who submit their results to GPA, who do not necessarily do all their business over their websites. I`m surprised that GPA doesn`t require them to commit to providing all transactions in order to make sure they`re not picking and choosing.

I wonder why ComicLink auctions seem to be so successful when some of the others do not? hm

I've been wondering myself but every book I list seems to get knocked out of the park...and it's not just auctions...it's consignment books. I list consignment books at what I think are extremely strong and aggressive prices and someone simply pops the BIN within hours or days of me listing it. That tells me several things....

1) I may have gotten more for the book at auction if the book disappears within hours or minutes.

I can list a handful of examples that I've mentioned in the past but you guys get the point.

R.

I don't know if I agree with that or not. I don't see comic collectors as necessarily being loyal customers. If you are talking about new issues that are published on a monthly basis, then yeah, maybe. They are loyal as long as they get what they want. Back issues are a whole other animal altogether.

If they find a book they want desperately enough, they will buy it from someone who has screwed them over repeatedly in hopes that since they really need the book, somehow this time will be different. I find it fascinating that someone would have a loyalty to a specific auction or consignment site, especially when you don't even see loyalty among the very members of this board.

One has a loyalty to an individual, not a business. For example, I make a point of seeking out World Wide Comics because of Stephen Ritter. If Stephen were to sell his business to someone else, I don't know how eager I would be to look them up at each show. Maybe that's just me.

To me, auction houses and consignment sites are similar to Wal-Mart. You go in, you find what you want, you buy it and leave. All of their activity revolves around drawing more customers and selling more items. Everything is calculated, just like ComicLink not providing information to GPA is a calculated decision.

(shrug)

I don't necessarily know that I was trying to say that it did or he doesn't. In my opinion, Josh has customers. I question the loyal part. Loyal would imply that people are doing business with ComicLink for the simple reason they like Josh. Again, that's just my opinion.

Another example would be me buying an X-Men 140 9.6 with white pages. I can find one anywhere. They aren't rare. I would buy one from wasonff before I would someone else because I like Drew. I have a loyalty to Drew because I know him to be a friend and neither one of us would screw the other over for a buck.

Well that's different. Most of us have done the same....except...

I'm in the business of making a buck. Does me getting multiples of GPA for a book mean I'm screwing someone over?

I'm in the business of making a buck. Does me getting multiples of GPA for a book mean I'm screwing someone over?

a book is worth what someone is willing to pay... and folks are willing to pay different amounts for books, and the seller does influence that price

R.

(shrug)

I don't necessarily know that I was trying to say that it did or he doesn't. In my opinion, Josh has customers. I question the loyal part. Loyal would imply that people are doing business with ComicLink for the simple reason they like Josh. Again, that's just my opinion.

Another example would be me buying an X-Men 140 9.6 with white pages. I can find one anywhere. They aren't rare. I would buy one from wasonff before I would someone else because I like Drew. I have a loyalty to Drew because I know him to be a friend and neither one of us would screw the other over for a buck.

My evil plan is working... :devil:

As for the above discussion, I am a ComicLink customer. A loyal one? Probably not. The reason I buy is very simple. They have books on their site and their auctions that I need for my X-Men run. If another auction/consigner site came up with the goods I would gladly purchase from them. Do I know Josh? No, not personally. Very matter of fact, albeit professional when I have had the opportunity to speak with him. Regardless, as has been stated, comic book collectors are a fickle bunch and I have found are only as loyal as where the next book for their run happens to be.

R.

You're absolutely right Doc. That was long winded. Are you a lawyer or something? :baiting:

But you're premise is also right. :gossip:

I can't see Pontoon's pic but I know it must be something real nice about me.

:grin:

I disagree with you about loyalty. Each and every person here has they "favorite" sellers and buyers...and there are people who will simply buy on a certain opinion or exclusively buy from one source.

In any case it's just a theoretical arguement.

BTW, I'm going to bend over Drew when my X-men #124 comes back a 9.8

:angel:

FYI, there is no such agreement.

Interesting. That's surprising, and disturbing.

Where you expecting an agreement?

We are talking about open source intelligence after all, and even if the site required a login to view results, there would still be aspects of the site (application platform) that are "shared" or open source. This is the part of the discussion I I find the most interesting because the current trend of the Web is leaning and structuring itself more and more on "open" and "social' principles, and when you hear Websites doing the opposite it leaves the impression that they are moving in an outdated direction and positioning themselves with the false hope of reinventing the wheel.

I wasn`t talking about the auction houses that have their results out in the open. I was talking about dealers who submit their results to GPA, who do not necessarily do all their business over their websites. I`m surprised that GPA doesn`t require them to commit to providing all transactions in order to make sure they`re not picking and choosing.

Though understandable, this would make for an onerous task for George to have to search for evidence to the contrary and then enforce.

Nevertheless, I'd be willing to commit to such an agreement. (thumbs u

I would definitely recommend to any users of CL, whether buyer or seller, that they consider individually reporting their sales data to GPA. There won't be an issue of verification if you submit your invoice along with the sales data. I'm sure that would be sufficient for George to include the sales information.

There's a problem with selective reporting, though. Buyers who set a record price will want to protect their investment by making sure the sale is reported, but buyers who get a great deal will prefer not to report their purchase, as they'd be bringing down the value of the "last reported sale", as well as the 90-day and 12-month averages.

You end up with GPA values that are skewed higher than the reality of the marketplace.

Exactly. (thumbs u

I can understand Josh's stance on not wanting GPA to include his data for two reasons. One, he has been realizing some incredible prices in his auctions, probably, in part due to the psychology of the comic collector. CL auctions give the ability to bid high , and if you lose- no need to worry about the price going up on GPA. Two, if a seller wants a piece of his high realized prices- he has to go to CL to sell his book, evidenced by some of the posts here, ebay and other auction site sellers do not gain the benefit of his sales data from GPA.

I have not been very enthusiastic about GPA including private sales or even dealer sales (unless they include all of them) for the reasons NearMint stated. No one has an interest in reporting a low sales price. If GPA is going to include sales data, it has to be all or nothing, or the credibility of the data is diluted.

I really don't get the rational being set forth about Josh's reluctance to include his sales data in GPA.

Does anyone actually believe that the various price guides that have existed over the decades are any less selective or arbitrary in how they set prices? :screwy:

At least GPA is trying to record actual sales data. GPA can only be as good as the data that is entered into it, so who cares if it is a public or private transaction so long as it can be verified (to whatever extent that could be).

No, getting multiples of GPA is not screwing someone over.

What I see as screwing someone over would be when a person uses their friendship with someone else to get a book at a discount and then immediately flip it for a higher price.

For example, let's say that Arex has an X-Men 125 9.8 white pages in the For Sale Forum for $495. I PM him when he lists the book and say this is exactly what I want and can he do any better than asking price for me as I want it for my collection. Even though the book is fairly priced, he knocks $150 off his asking price.

I PM him back and say that we have a deal. However, I am getting ready to head out of town and instead of mailing the book to me would he please send it on to (insert auction house or consignment site of choice here) for me. He does and it sells for a new GPA high of $695.

Something like that is what I would have a problem with. I would see that as a total dickmove. It's not the making of the buck I would have a problem with, it's the method in which the buck is made.

I can't see Pontoon's pic but I know it must be something real nice about me.

:grin:

I disagree with you about loyalty. Each and every person here has they "favorite" sellers and buyers...and there are people who will simply buy on a certain opinion or exclusively buy from one source.

In any case it's just a theoretical arguement.

BTW, I'm going to bend over Drew when my X-men #124 comes back a 9.8

:angel:

It's okay to disagree Roy :devil: And you are absolutely right about buyers only purchasing exclusively from one or two dealers. I just happen not to be one of them. I would challenge that a majority of those buyers would quickly change their "loyalties" when a book they need comes up for sale at another dealers booth/site.

As for the #124, I appreciate you thinking of me :foryou:

Drew

No, getting multiples of GPA is not screwing someone over.

What I see as screwing someone over would be when a person uses their friendship with someone else to get a book at a discount and then immediately flip it for a higher price.

For example, let's say that Arex has an X-Men 125 9.8 white pages in the For Sale Forum for $495. I PM him when he lists the book and say this is exactly what I want and can he do any better than asking price for me as I want it for my collection. Even though the book is fairly priced, he knocks $150 off his asking price.

I PM him back and say that we have a deal. However, I am getting ready to head out of town and instead of mailing the book to me would he please send it on to (insert auction house or consignment site of choice here) for me. He does and it sells for a new GPA high of $695.

Something like that is what I would have a problem with. I would see that as a total dickmove. It's not the making of the buck I would have a problem with, it's the method in which the buck is made.

(thumbs u

Then we are on the same page.

That's good to know.

QFT (thumbs u

You want to get Marketplace sales registered in GPA, here's what you do;

start an LLC. buy some insurance. convince board members who make a sale to send the book to you. you offer as a service the ability to verify the sale is as advertised.

do the same for the buyer. they send you the money for the book - paypal, MO, whatever - you then verify funds are available.

you send the book to the buyer and the money to the seller, minus a tiny transaction fee.

voila. now there is a 3rd party sales verification service. this would be slabs only, of course.

plenty of flaws with it, but there's the blueprint

You want to get Marketplace sales registered in GPA, here's what you do;

start an LLC. buy some insurance. convince board members who make a sale to send the book to you. you offer as a service the ability to verify the sale is as advertised.

do the same for the buyer. they send you the money for the book - paypal, MO, whatever - you then verify funds are available.

you send the book to the buyer and the money to the seller, minus a tiny transaction fee.

voila. now there is a 3rd party sales verification service. this would be slabs only, of course.

plenty of flaws with it, but there's the blueprint

my company is already incorporated, and I already have all those measures in place, yet George didn't seem interested in me reporting my sales (shrug)

and, on this board alone , I have sold into the 6 figures..and overall, have bought and subsequently sold close to 7 figures of cgc Golden Age books... my thoughts are any subscriber to GPA would be interested in my sales... I offered to report, didn't ask for anything in return (maybe a free sub would be a nice gesture) but again, my offer was not accepted?

rick

Rick, I remember originally that George had wanted the transactions posted on a public website. This was one of the criteria. Don't know if it still is.

R.