• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

did CLINK auction results get pulled from GPA?

148 posts in this topic

I dont like how someone can find a book for a "steal" and have the book lose value in the process. Say a book is valued and has been sold at $200, I find it on Ebay for $100. I snatch it up immediately knowing its a steal, but if GPA reports the purchase for $100, it will de-value the book in the short term.

all part of the system...

exactly.

Are you agreeing that its part of the system? Or annoyed by it a little bit like I am? I agree that its part of the system, and no idea how to get around this obstacle.. Just a little frustrating

I dont like how someone can find a book for a "steal" and have the book lose value in the process. Say a book is valued and has been sold at $200, I find it on Ebay for $100. I snatch it up immediately knowing its a steal, but if GPA reports the purchase for $100, it will de-value the book in the short term.

exactly.

Are you agreeing that its part of the system? Or annoyed by it a little bit like I am? I agree that its part of the system, and no idea how to get around this obstacle.. Just a little frustrating

It not an obstacle. It's the way things work. Books go up. Books go down. If it truly is an aberration, then the succeeding sales will absorb it. I typically kick out the lowest sale and the high sale when using GPA.

exactly.

I guess the answer is to get as many deals as possible from CL, where those lower numbers won't be reported.

Remember too that George does a terrific job of noting low feedback transactions, relisted books etc. Any form of data will only be *mostly* accurate so it still takes a little thinking and research to make a judgement on what one person thinks a book is worth.

R.

I would definitely recommend to any users of CL, whether buyer or seller, that they consider individually reporting their sales data to GPA. There won't be an issue of verification if you submit your invoice along with the sales data. I'm sure that would be sufficient for George to include the sales information.

There's a problem with selective reporting, though. Buyers who set a record price will want to protect their investment by making sure the sale is reported, but buyers who get a great deal will prefer not to report their purchase, as they'd be bringing down the value of the "last reported sale", as well as the 90-day and 12-month averages.

You end up with GPA values that are skewed higher than the reality of the marketplace.

This is really no different than any of the private reporting, or perhaps even the culled auction reporting. Who is to say that the dealers providing reporting information are not being selective. I know that I am not doing so, but I would imagine others with much greater frequency of sales are likely not providing all their data. This is just the way the market goes.

Just looking at e-bay or Heritage data alone does not provide a proper view into the marketplace, but it is always included. Sometimes it brings the data down because good deals are often found in both venues depending upon the day, but other times it brings the data up because of a record sale.

There will be no perfect vehicle to get GPA all the necessary data, but the more it gets the better it will be for consumers.

There will be no perfect vehicle to get GPA all the necessary data, but the more it gets the better it will be for consumers.

that was my thinking when I offered last year to report sales...

Which is why there is much more to using GPA to determine a fair market value for a book then just looking at the last sale or even the 12 month and 90 day average. Not to mention, price determining factors like QP and PQ aren't recorded on GPA .

Which is why there is much more to using GPA to determine a fair market value for a book then just looking at the last sale or even the 12 month and 90 day average. Not to mention, price determining factors like QP and PQ aren't recorded on GPA .

...but CGC cert #'s are and this is a big plus.

R.

I am offended by your sig line.
turn your sig line off :makepoint:

I found a much simpler way of correcting the problem. :baiting:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Toggle the display of this post

:applause: