• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How realistic is your want list?

38 posts in this topic

My want list starts with Batman #1. The odds of me owning one in the near future are slim (but not zero). Second entry is Batman #2. There's lots of other cheapie books, but I don't see myself purchasing that first want list entry on a whim.

How realistic is your want list? Do you only put down books you know you can afford? Or do you list everything you want for your collection, regardless of price and/or availability? (for you Gerber 10 collectors out there)

I make a list of stuff I want. I than look into prices for those issues. If the price is right for a grade I like, I put it on my want list. Books like Tec 31 and Suspense #3 I will always want and think about, but will probably never own either unless I win the lottery.. So my list is what I can afford

How realistic is your want list? Do you only put down books you know you can afford? Or do you list everything you want for your collection, regardless of price and/or availability? (for you Gerber 10 collectors out there)

I'm not sure how realistic mine has become. :sorry: My goal is to own & read every pre-code horror comic, and I've been at it since 1993. At one time, in a better economy & before a wife & kids, this appeared to be very achievable. Especially since I will take any low grade book that is complete. These days, I don't think I'm on pace to achieve my goal. :(

I want the remaining Empire covers by Kitson. There are 5 still out there. Out of those 5, 4 are potentially available, just have to find the people :)

Mine is a combination of both: realistic & unrealistic. It's nice to have lofty goals (unrealistic) to shoot for, but you need to lower the bar (realistic) to keep yourself from getting frustrated and giving up.

Amazing Fantasy #15- 10% chance

Amazing Spider-Man #1- 60% chance

X-Men #1- 100% as I've owned a Fair/Good copy bought from Rick Simowich out of NY but sold it because I want a better copy

Mine is a combination of both: realistic & unrealistic. It's nice to have lofty goals (unrealistic) to shoot for, but you need to lower the bar (realistic) to keep yourself from getting frustrated and giving up.

This is how my list is as well. There are a few dream books on the list and a few that I can actaully buy without getting served divorce papers.

Starting by wanting to collect ALL Spirit sections has right there led you in the unrealistic camp :makepoint: (at least from where I sit) and then collect all things Kirby and Ditko :screwy: I mean, sure I'd love to have all Kirby works in the original form (at least all his work up to 1963 / 1964) but I know better than believe that's realistic :(

Starting by wanting to collect ALL Spirit sections has right there led you in the unrealistic camp :makepoint: (at least from where I sit) and then collect all things Kirby and Ditko :screwy: I mean, sure I'd love to have all Kirby works in the original form (at least all his work up to 1963 / 1964) but I know better than believe that's realistic :(

Never said which areas of my collecting focus were which (tsk) Ancient chinese secret :gossip:

Very good question...

I don't call what you are talking about my "want-list" but my "grail-list" and I must confess it borders on the unrealistic.

The grail list is composed of both OA and comics and the trouble with the OA pieces is that they sometimes never come on the market.

There are two $10K+ pieces on my grail list and the most I've ever spend on comic/page is about $2500...so it's a BIG stretch...but not impossible.

I've allocated myself a $500 monthly budget and most pieces are about 7 - 10 month's worth of budget and then there are a few pieces that would be a few year's worth of budget.

If I didn't buy anything else and went after the 10 pieces on my grails list, I would be able to get them all in about 5 years, providing I could find them.