• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new price record I suppose?

61 posts in this topic

What were NM copies of this book going for prior to advent of CGC?

Alot. I remember Jason Ewert (!) offering a NM- copy of FF12 at a comic con in the early nineties for something like $1,200.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I saw a vf/nm copy change hands for $1200 in that time frame also.

And as far as what is desirable, there is a whole generation of collectors that evaluate all comics within the silver age realm. They don't concern themselves with golden age or modern age books and have a whole different thought on what books are desirable and scarce.

Is this considered the 1st Hulk vs Thing? Can't remember if they go head to head...

Yup. 1st crossover for Marvel (tied with ASM #1) and also first battle ish. Terrific read.

What were NM copies of this book going for prior to advent of CGC?

Who can remember back that far?

Spidey 14 sold for a bit more than FF 12 but even prior to CGC FF 12 was hard to find in high grade. That did affect the guide price as true high grade copies didn't change hands as much.

ALL of the early FFs were infinitely harder to find in ultra-HG than ASM. As you say, this caused them to be depressed in the price guide because they simply didn't change hands much.

Bob Storms' slab-n-sale of his great FF collection was a real eye opener for the general collecting public as to just how intense demand was for these early issues.

And as far as what is desirable, there is a whole generation of collectors that evaluate all comics within the silver age realm. They don't concern themselves with golden age or modern age books and have a whole different thought on what books are desirable and scarce.

can you elaborate more on that as I am still learning?

Silver Age collectors (esp Marvel SA IMO) basically think the SA is the "bomb" and nothing else matters. They don't compare prices relative to other genres but rather are happy to throw stupid money at books that they love regardless of what other stuff is worth.

Something along those lines.

R.

In other words, the era of comics you grew up with is, just like music, the era you consider the most valuable. I grew up in the 70's and I love Silver and Bronze and 60's and 70's music. Also, as time passes the difference between the 1940's and the 1960's blurs. 50 years from now a 20 year space between the 2 ages will seem much smaller than it does now.

I'm with Roy, $41K seems about right in today's market for an FF12 in 9.4. It's a top census copy and a strong 9.4 with perfect centering and great colors. It's one of only five copies in grade. It's one of the iconic early SA Marvel books - first meeting between Hulk and FF, first Hulk cross-over, etc. It sports an awesome Kirby cover. It's not a book that will change much at the top of the census going forward. It was published in the most formative and experimental stage of the development of the Marvel Universe.

Also, compare it for scarcity with the Hulk 181 that sold for $25K in the same auction. The latter is not at the top of the census and it is one of 15 in grade. The number of high grade slabbed copies is continually increasing.

For me, FF12 is right there with issues 3,4, and 5 as being the most desirable and scarce (in grade) FFs of all besides the origin ish.

I believe this is the first Marvel crossover not just first Hulk crossover. Excluding #4 as Submariner wasn't really a hero and didn't have his own title. Marvel crossed almost every new character into FF, their flagship title, to promote sales. The only exception that I can think of was Spiderman which they did the reverse, they crossed FF into ASM#1 to promote sales of ASM.

FF #12 and ASM #1 are tied for first crossover but this is such a bigger and better book IMO.

I always thought ASM #1 was kind of a downer after ASM #15. Don't know why but I have always felt this way.

R.

Well ASM 1 IIRC is a two story book. Story #1 I agree but Story #2 was a classic. Lame- cover didn't help either. For early spideys I like #3

Silver Age collectors (esp Marvel SA IMO) basically think the SA is the "bomb" and nothing else matters. They don't compare prices relative to other genres but rather are happy to throw stupid money at books that they love regardless of what other stuff is worth.

Something along those lines.

R.

Well said....and as our favorite age books become more expensive , most of us have to become more selective.This is the process that creates "icon" books.It already happened in the GA segment and is hot and heavy in SA now. A painting by Dali' will always command a high price...but certain pieces embody the spirit of his work more succinctly to more people than others and will always command a record price IF they are even offered for sale. For those who love early SA F.F.'s, the 12 is a "Persistance Of Memory" piece.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

"Persistance Of Memory" piece.GOD BLESS...

What a cool way to put it Jim.

Thanks my friend. I remember when I put my first early FF run together in the 70's...I couldn't afford a 1 and a 2....and I couldn't FIND a 12....had the rest of the first 155.It's always been hot in certain circles.As the years progressed I made a lot of bad decisions....and won't be able to own a run of nice FF's....so I decided to pick a few favorites in nice shape that really open the flood gates for me...the 8,13, and 16 were what I chose....lucky for me it WASN'T the 12 lol .Here's my "persistance of memory" FF 16 .GOD BLESS...

ff16.jpg

One of the first early FF's I picked up was #13. The watcher blew my mind and the apes weren't bad either. The issue will always stand out for me which is amazing because they are all outstanding issues.

Yeah, the 13 was the first issue where the FF really went cosmic...and I always loved that Ditko inking. And the Watcher flinging the Red Ghost back and forth through time, like a rag doll,....PRICELESS. Lee and Kirby really knew how to take it over the top.GOD BLESS...

Yup. Seems like people are still putting a lot of money into top books.

Can't wait to see how the Comiclink auction does. I have some big books in there.

R.

Silver Surfer 1 for 27K :o

I know. I wish I had my SS #4 9.8 now. I can't believe the prices these books are fetching!

R.