• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade My FF 1 Please

17 posts in this topic

I know this isn't CGC investment grade material, but I'd appreciate your opinion on my humble FF 1. tongue.gif

No hidden flaws except there are 3 very small color hits on the front cover. I suspect this was done some time ago before such a thing was a mortal sin. wink.gif

Staples are tight, paper is OW and supple. The stain on the bottom of the back cover is much darker on the scan than it is to the naked eye.

Thanks for your input.

319819-ff1c.jpg.d22eb315639fa8481636b0f9baf7d61f.jpg

I'd say about a 3.5/4.0

Eric

IMO, I considered it a 4.0. While it does have a number if small flaws, the book is rock solid, has gloss and presents very well... it just doesn't seem to deserve VG- ... a category that includes books that are often pretty beat up. smile.gif

The three "color hits" you mention are some sort of amateur restoration? Assuming yes, I'd say VG 4.0, but with a Purple label, which will result in a far lower valuation by prospective buyers if you're planning to sell it...

The three "color hits" you mention are some sort of amateur restoration? Assuming yes, I'd say VG 4.0, but with a Purple label, which will result in a far lower valuation by prospective buyers if you're planning to sell it...

Yup. Black marker over 3 very fine creases on the spine and LRC. Very thin and short lines... not like area fills or anything like that.

I'd never send it to CGC because I don't plan on selling it and I know they'd ding it with a purple label anyway. That's one of the things that drives me crazy.... it'll get a purple because someone barely touched it with a marker 30 years ago, but some kid can write his name all over the cover and that is somehow "more acceptable" than a tiny color touch. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well touching the book up like that is meant to be hidden and make the look better...but that Sensation Comics 1 CGC 9.4 with a big dust shadow on the cover and "Mike" written in pencil on the FC drives me nuts. 893naughty-thumb.gif I really really hate when Mikey or his friend Bobby decide to autograpg their books especially when they are GA books. Even if the book is only mid grade and some little twerp wrote on it I will pass.

Yup. Black marker over 3 very fine creases on the spine and LRC. Very thin and short lines... not like area fills or anything like that.

I'd never send it to CGC because I don't plan on selling it and I know they'd ding it with a purple label anyway. That's one of the things that drives me crazy.... it'll get a purple because someone barely touched it with a marker 30 years ago, but some kid can write his name all over the cover and that is somehow "more acceptable" than a tiny color touch. confused-smiley-013.gif

Did the marker bleed through? Too bad that someone did that because it is a very nice example of a lower grade but pretty book!

Did the marker bleed through? Too bad that someone did that because it is a very nice example of a lower grade but pretty book!

Yeah... you can't see the touch from the front, it's only visible in 3 tiny bleed throughs. Like most cases like this, it would have been better off if left alone, but the temptation got to someone along the way. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I figured in this grade it wouldn't make a difference. I look at it like I got a solid, clean, respectable FF 1 for a good price. It may have a bit of color touch, but it's all original otherwise... I can afford to be condition picky on some books, but not FF 1 wink.gif

I look at it like I got a solid, clean, respectable FF 1

Yep - looks so from here to. I really like this kind of book. The grade is not so high that you become paranoid, but it is also nice enough to just LOOK good, and you can read it! I envy you you're FF1! thumbsup2.gif