• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Dallas?

45 posts in this topic

The story with the little boy really sucks. Sorry this hole ruined a childs day with his crappy attitude. The show I thought drew a fairly sized crowd especially Saturday. For the attendees who went and didnt find what they wanted please come again next year the hall is supposed to be twice the size (keep in mind it was kept small to make sure it sold out for the first year) If you went and heard dealers complaining it was because the majority did very poorly. Not sure why, I heard a few theories, but the people who came to the show were simply not spending. Dallas hasnt had a decent show since the ill fated Fantasy Fair so for you folks in the southwest support this one or you may be waiting another 8 years for another outfit to try it there.

I think it should be 'studlyness,' but that just looks ugly. I'm sure Joanna would know what word would be most appropriate.

Actually, it would be "studliness", as in:

"That Joe_Collector - Tom Brulato flame war is an example of Big [!@#%^&^] at its best," said Drbanner.

"Yes," said Araich. "They both showed their studliness in action up there!"

mad.gif I have to speak out about that dealer after reading this post. He showed NO class at all! Putting down that young child's books like that. He shows his true colors. He should have told the boy what classic stories they were and still are. It's great that a young kid like him is into the older stuff. Someone should take that dealer, have him cleaned and pressed, trimmed, bleached, and anything else you guys can think of. It still couldn't be enough punishment for the likes of him!

Paul & Alicia,

The pleasure was mine as well. I'm so happy both of you made it to the convention and the forum dinner. It was nice getting to know the both of you.

Happy marriage times ahead of you!

Darren,

Really sorry to read that you did not have a good time at the convention. I hope you just had some bad karma that day and most of the folks that attended hopefully had a great time.

I thought the convention was great! I walked around and found it to be a good soup mix of toys, comics, games and even a big booth of comic t-shirts that you can spend your money on.

It was nice to meet some the dealers and ebay sellers I've bought books from and put a face to a an ebay or cgc forum handle.

As for the person who laughed at the kid because his comics were not in mint condition and not really worth that much, what a harsh and classless thing to say to a kid trying to get himself involved in the world of comics.

The CGC staff were just AWESOME to meet. CGC is a great company that is really trying their best to deliver the best product they can. CGC can only get better as time goes on. While I don't agree with everything they do(Steve, I still like that Alpha grade on the label) they are a tremendous asset to the comic community.

Steve Borock, Scott Talmaige(spelling?) and Jerry(Gerry?) were really fun to talk with and I had a FANTASTIC time eating and talking with them at the dinner.

I didn't really get a chance to talk to Paul Litch which was a bummer, but he was nice enough to take our mug shots in a group photo.

More later,

Michael

Here's a brief snapshot of my weekend:

What I bought: Ill post specifics later so much stuff. Two long boxes of .25 - .50 comics, basically fillin gout runs of Marvel Comics Presents, Xfactor, Excaliber, New Mutants...etc.

A bunch of 1/2 price tpbs, even hard covers.

Who I met:

Robertson: Supremely nice guy, chatted it up and did a sketch for me on my book.

Jim Lee: Nice guy, took time to sketch for just about everyone on Friday night. He wouldnt sketch on my cgc book cause he's seen them on Ebay, so he did me a little Robin sketch.

Joe Quesada: not much to say here...kind of non descript.

Mike Turner: Did a sketch on my Tomb Raider/Witchblade

Silvestri: Did a sketch on my Xman and Tomb/Raider Witchblade I had.

Jenkins: Seemed like a really nice guy pleased to sign everything.

Busiek: Also seemed like a nice guy.

Perez: Its a toss up between him and Robertson and Lee who seemed happiest to be there.

Kevin Smith and Mewes: Nice enough and accomidating...Kevin Smith wrote on my CGC Green Arrow 1..."The need to breathe" The q/a was funny, until it devolved into every loser and their brother asking for hugs or signatures...when it was only supposed to be a Q/A session.

And then I went out with the guys from the CGC message boards, and to my surprise some of the big wigs at CGC came out with us. It was some interesting conversation, about CGC, comics in general, music, etc. If anyone's interested (or even if not, and Im bored later, Ill post some of my thoughts about that later) But say what you might about the product, the guys running it are on the up and up.

O yeah:

Be wary of buying any of the Wolverine: The End copies from the show.

The majority I saw had little spine stresses. Ill be posting my extra one on the trade site this week.

Heres a couple of pics...with perez and smith:

pauljoep.jpg

kevinjayus.jpg

I looked for her some Fables, and didnt see anything...but hey...christmas is coming up...and I think its a good idea to get the wife some comics for christmas...and I can enjoy them.

Okay, a couple of pics!

I hope darth or some other computer savvy person can post it for me without the download attachment thing. Oh well, I am not that hip.

This one is the CGC booth 5 minutes after the doors opened on Friday (I'm not kidding). The tall guy with the shaved head behind the booth is Shawn Caffrey.

589a8b701d35c_321562-DallasCGCboothlineFriday.JPG.5a76390cecb41b44467fb0b40f66e0d9.JPG

And I just had to get a shot from the back of the line. Our neighbors were a bit annoyed that our line blocked their booths, but on Saturday we had Wizard volunteers helping keep the line organized and away from their booths. Plus we did some free onsite stuff for them as an apology.

589a8b702022e_321564-Dallasendofline.JPG.c492f22f5b8c5f8819bc0a1a02dd6a0e.JPG

And now for the Forum Dinner pic (for your files, Darthman): From Left to Right are: Scott Talmadge (CGC Receiving manager), Jerry Stephan (CGC Grader), Michael Gray (musicmeta), Paul Austin (xrcst), Paul Litch (plitch), Tom Gordon, Steve Borock (sborock), Severo Canales & Adriana Limas (scanales79) and Charles Alvord (silverage59) [Missing because she was taking the picture--Paul Austin's wife, Alicia (new to boards with 2 posts!)]

And Alicia-- I kept the sign in the pic!

589a8b7022b84_321569-dallascgcforumdinner1.JPG.eea12d261c3ffdaa03eb759618e34e9f.JPG

When the Blazing One goes out, all women and men stare at his studness!

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're all getting a little tired of it too.

The last time I saw him, I asked him to put it away because it was making a baby cry.

must I do everything for you boys:p

here we go....pictures of Paul (my paul...not elbow paul) and Joe Perez and Paul me and Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes

pauljoep.jpgkevinjayus.jpg

Ill post the pictures that elbow paul had so you dont have to download as an attachment as well...gimme a minute to convert them to jpegs from bitmaps though:)

as for all the forum pics...these are the pics that elbow paul posted above

line1.jpg

line2.jpg

and forum dinner

dinner.jpg

From Left to Right are: Scott Talmadge (CGC Receiving manager), Jerry Stephan (CGC Grader), Michael Gray (musicmeta), Paul Austin (xrcst), Paul Litch (plitch), Tom Gordon, Steve Borock (sborock), Severo Canales & Adriana Limas (scanales79) and Charles Alvord (silverage59) [Missing because she was taking the picture--Paul Austin's wife, Alicia (new to boards with 2 posts!)]

While many people may complain about Showcase Dan I did see him do exactly what you wrote. A kid came up with some books that weren't worth much. Rather than disappoint the kid, he bought them for $10 even though they weren't worth more than a dollar.

That's pretty cool of him... but the key thing is getting cheap child labor out of it to by turning them into your long box searcher...those little guys can get under tables and dig thru boxes better than us old fogies with back and knee problems...I'd pay a little head hunting bonus too for every old fogie collector they took out trying to find my variants for me wink.gif