• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Dallas?

45 posts in this topic

It ended a few hours ago. I'll post a report tomorow night. I'm just to tired right now.

I'll close by saying it was very crowded saturday and I had a great time.

Didn't find any bargains, but I didn't look too hard either.

CGC forum dinner was awesome and Steve Borock and the rest of the CGC staff are terrific SUPER-FRIENDLY people, and I had a GREAT time!

Michael

RANT COMING

Just got back from the show. Was really a disappointment, I have been going to shows in the Dallas area for the last 20 years and this was my worst con experience. The attendence was probably ok, but my biggest concern was with some of the dealers that were present. More than one had a pretty [!@#%^&^] attitude. I think what has happened is many of the old time dealers have either left , or maybe died.(The ones that actually gave a damn about something other than a buck.) Making a buck is Good BUT it SHOULD NOT be the ONLY Consideration. To be sure there were some good ones too,( Bedrock and Dale Roberts Comics to name a few.), but I guess a lot of these guys do the Wizard tour together and absorb each others bad habbits. Just one example of the type of dealer arrogance I am speaking of I witnessed at the Heritage Viewing area on the exhibition floor.( A dealer was viewing a number of lots when a kid(abt 10-11yrs) comes up to the heritage personell and enquires about the possible value of a couple of his comics . (Amazing Spider Man 39,40) Both were beat copies but they were probably the pride of this kids collection. Well anyway the dealer laughs at the kid and says " those are [!@#%^&^] , I wouldnt give you $5 for the pair" The look on this kids face was one of sheer dejection. At a time when this hobby needs to nuture the Kids(stealing them away from Video Games and the 1000 other sorts of entertainment is hard enough without Dealers actively chasing them away.) sign-rantpost.gif Just a liitle common courtesy can go a long way.

If we are not careful I fear that before too long the only people that will have any interest in Comics will be the people that don't care for books themselves, but are only interested in "How much can I make?" From what I saw going on at the show, it would not suprise me that in the not too distant future there will be virtually no collectors left who love the books and appreciate them for what they are. When that happens we can kiss this medium GOODBYE. And then These so called dealers can sit in their empty convention halls surrounded by their virtually worthless treasures.

Sorry for the rant, but I always thought this hobby would flourish, but now I have serious doubts. If any feel I am mistaken in my views please feel free to set me straight( maybe This type of things only happens at the Dallas show?)

Sincerely, Daren Wilson

Wow... that's some rant. Most of the Wizard shows are well put together and well organized. I may kavetch a lot about the dealers... but I can't say I've ever had an experience where a kid approached a dealer and got such a rude response. Probably approached the wrong guy, and of course, no, that's not good for the hobby. the only way that response is appropriate is if the kid was a wiseguy first.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear Dallas was such a disappointment... the first year Wizard came to Philly it was great, and now it's a great local show for me on the national scale each year.

RANT COMING

A dealer was viewing a number of lots when a kid(abt 10-11yrs) comes up to the heritage personell and enquires about the possible value of a couple of his comics . (Amazing Spider Man 39,40) Both were beat copies but they were probably the pride of this kids collection. Well anyway the dealer laughs at the kid and says " those are [!@#%^&^] , I wouldnt give you $5 for the pair" The look on this kids face was one of sheer dejection.

Oh, god, that just tears me up. The sense of being crushed that kid must have felt, no doubt about his pride comics. I remember being that kid, so hopeful and so proud of my beat-up copy of Spider-Man #5 (still have it). I was king of the collectors on my block! I just wanted someone else who had a great collection to admire what I had, too.

At least it could have been put like this: "In that condition they'll never get the high dollars, but those are two GREAT comics. Man, those are classic. Not many kids your age have even SEEN those, let alone have them, so treat them like something special. You're very lucky!" That could would have had an honest answer and gone home floating on joy.

I would have bought them from the kid for $50 confused-smiley-013.gif then I would have sent him off with a list of 30 cent variants to dig up for me and offer him $5 (on top of the sale price) for each one he found...it is Dallas after all..

anyone with a 30 cent variant market reprot - Bedrock sells them so does Alamo city comics...and random dealers in this part of Texas end up posting a few on ebay now and then...

I would love to know exactly who it was who said that to the poor child who dared to look up to this scum as someone with authority and knowledge about comics. Assuming this is exactly what happened and that individual actually said that to the kid, it's deplorable behavior and he should be told as much.

Arnold

okay this is my nifty first post...drove 8 hours from KC with my husband to go to the convention. It was our first convention and we're exhausted but we are happy we went. Generally long lines, yes. And there were some really overpriced items...but I also observed that those were the people who didn't have much business. We got some great items for cheap, and we got to meet some great people.

All the folks at CGC, it was awesome to have dinner with you:) Michael, thanks for the ride...you were a real sweetheart.

PS Paul didn't buy fables for me shocked.gif

PS Paul didn't buy fables for me shocked.gif

893whatthe.gif893censored-thumb.gif

The ugly guy with the long pony tail that promised you Fables is STEVE. The really cool studly guy that sat next to you is Paul.

(Not your husband, Paul, but the Paul that sat to your left--the Paul you elbowed all during dinner -- lefties!)

I didn't mean to imply that your husband (xrcst) is not studly and cool. If tall dark and handsome is your bag, then who am I to tell you who to marry! He does have a sick obsession with 9.6 though... blush.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I got pics from the dinner & the show, but no time today. I'll get to them tonight. Texas was a blur, but the Forum dinner was great as usual! Thanks for arranging it, Michael! flowerred.gif

Just one example of the type of dealer arrogance I am speaking of I witnessed at the Heritage Viewing area on the exhibition floor.( A dealer was viewing a number of lots when a kid(abt 10-11yrs) comes up to the heritage personell and enquires about the possible value of a couple of his comics . (Amazing Spider Man 39,40) Both were beat copies but they were probably the pride of this kids collection. Well anyway the dealer laughs at the kid and says " those are [!@#%^&^] , I wouldnt give you $5 for the pair" The look on this kids face was one of sheer dejection.

If anyone ever deserved being beaten with in an inch of his life it's this numb-skull. sumo.gif

While many people may complain about Showcase Dan I did see him do exactly what you wrote. A kid came up with some books that weren't worth much. Rather than disappoint the kid, he bought them for $10 even though they weren't worth more than a dollar.

While many people may complain about Showcase Dan I did see him do exactly what you wrote. A kid came up with some books that weren't worth much. Rather than disappoint the kid, he bought them for $10 even though they weren't worth more than a dollar.

thumbsup2.gif

so what youre really saying is that I was surrounded by studly paul's who have sick obsessions (albeit one has to work for CGC) with CGC comics.

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif That about sums it up!

Don't edit out the handicapped sign in the picture please paul:)

Of couse not-- That was the best part!