• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geez...If you want a PREACHER page...

98 posts in this topic

I placed a couple of bids under $2K, but never did outbid the (then) high bidder. I thought at $2K it would have been a decent deal. I'm not surprised it went higher. I thought it could go around $3K. There have been a few private sales at that level in the last few months for early key pages. The demand has been there and now, with this public sale, everyone knows it.

There's still a huge disparity in value between early pages and later pages, but that gap will narrow over time for the key pages.

I think what has happened is that as people get priced out of WATCHMEN, V, and (to a lesser extent) SANDMAN, they've set their sights on "B" titles. That, plus the possibility of a movie, has elevated PREACHER's status.

Just remember, though...there are something like 1400 pages out there. Hopefully, this sale will bring a bunch more out. And just because this one sold for $3K, doesn't mean they all will. Albert still has a ton of later pages. They'll all be on Ebay sooner or later.

First of all, Felix, I take offense to you calling PREACHER a "B' title :sumo:

I placed a couple of bids under $2K, but never did outbid the (then) high bidder. I thought at $2K it would have been a decent deal. I'm not surprised it went higher. I thought it could go around $3K. There have been a few private sales at that level in the last few months for early key pages. The demand has been there and now, with this public sale, everyone knows it.

Everything else you've said however makes sense. In fact, I see page has been listed already with a BIN of $1900+. I'm at work right now and can't see the actual image, so I can't tell if it is from the issue that had just recently been broken up.

There's still a huge disparity in value between early pages and later pages, but that gap will narrow over time for the key pages.

There is a huge gap between early issues (the first 12) and later issues. Dillons art also changes significantly between the early issues and the later issues.

I think what has happened is that as people get priced out of WATCHMEN, V, and (to a lesser extent) SANDMAN, they've set their sights on "B" titles. That, plus the possibility of a movie, has elevated PREACHER's status.

WATCHMEN ain't all that, V sucks, SANDMAN has its moments and if folks are gravitating towards PREACHER as an alternative to collecting something else sounds weak. You shouldn't collect one thing because you can't get what you 'really want' :mad:

Just remember, though...there are something like 1400 pages out there. Hopefully, this sale will bring a bunch more out. And just because this one sold for $3K, doesn't mean they all will. Albert still has a ton of later pages. They'll all be on Ebay sooner or later.

The actual page count is 1963 pages including the minis(not all of which have Dillon art, if that matters). If you go after a complete issue the price per page USED TO go way down. Who knows what the asking price is for a complete issue now. Glad I got my two :devil:

WATCHMEN ain't all that, V sucks, SANDMAN has its moments and if folks are gravitating towards PREACHER as an alternative to collecting something else sounds weak. You shouldn't collect one thing because you can't get what you 'really want' :mad:

I agree V and Sandman are greatly overrated books and I'd be happy to help out anyone that would like to get rid of any pages. :)

There is a huge gap between early issues (the first 12) and later issues. Dillons art also changes significantly between the early issues and the later issues.

Nexus pointed out to me the dramatic difference in the art. Does anyone know why the difference?

The later art is less rendered.

Much of what's great about the series is the dialogue and funny/bizarre exchanges that go down between the characters. In terms of reading comics, I actually prefer the pace of the later issues, which was made better when Dillon simplified things.

As far as OA goes however, the early stuff gets a decided edge. Darker, more detailed, better linework.

Still, for me (and a lot of others), the primary determining factor is Ennis' contribution and the page's word balloons. On the $2,800 page, besides having the Saint introducing himself and interacting with Cass, it also contained 3 F-bombs, one 'ba$t@rd' and an 'arsehole'

The later art is less rendered.

Much of what's great about the series is the dialogue and funny/bizarre exchanges that go down between the characters. In terms of reading comics, I actually prefer the pace of the later issues, which was made better when Dillon simplified things.

As far as OA goes however, the early stuff gets a decided edge. Darker, more detailed, better linework.

Still, for me (and a lot of others), the primary determining factor is Ennis' contribution and the page's word balloons. On the $2,800 page, besides having the Saint introducing himself and interacting with Cass, it also contained 3 F-bombs, one 'ba$t@rd' and an 'arsehole'

I completely agree. I am looking for art in this series that will be more nostalgic than purely artistic. I was just wondering WHY Dillon made the change. I had noticed that Tulip looked more feminine later in the series but I was completely oblivious how much seemed to be omitted. I guess I am hoping he did it for artistic reasons and not because he was just trying to crank them out faster.

You shouldn't collect one thing because you can't get what you 'really want' :mad:

You mean like getting commissions of PREACHER covers because you can't get the real thing? :baiting:

Messin' witcha. I know what you're saying. But that's a reality in collecting, especially in an expensive hobby like this one. You can quit. Or you can adjust, adapt, do the best you can. All of a title's covers are in a black hole collection? Getting commissions would be one way to scratch that itch and remain involved. Same with moving on to a more affordable title, artist, etc..

Yup. Don't think the earlier more detailed/complex art style alone accounts for the price gap. But I also do like it better. Anyhow...as I illustrated to Agoodventure...check out these two pages from my collection:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=409518&GSub=60804&GCat=0&UCat=0

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=388855&GSub=60804&GCat=0&UCat=0

It looks like between issues 5 and 46 that Jesse decided to shave and get a facial! lol

Seventy bucks.

That's about the median price on all these pages as they were sold off via Wildstorm before they folded. Seeing the prices they have been reaching, well it's shocking and gratifying. Those original prices seemed too good to be true back when they were happening. Personally I only wish Steve had ended up with more $ out of all that work than he did. At least it's a sign that the work is becoming more respected and finding it's place among the pantheon of really good books.

As for the old vs. new art stylings... is an artist not allowed to evolve? Look at Mignola for a good example.

Mignola,%20Hellboy%20Wolves%20page.jpg

hell23ti01p08alt-mdm.jpg

In fact look at a myriad great artists.

Too often youthful artists cover up their inconsistent drawing skills with detail and rendering. The more experienced one gets, the more they recognize that it's actually harder to do a clean drawing "right" and consistently, than it is to put details and doodads all over the place to try and make things look the same. The truth is all that added is really to cover for the fact that the cheeks, the nose, the profile looks slightly different from panel to panel, page to page.

You see the stubble and know "hey that's him". Being able to do the same without the fluff... that's the real art.

It's often not a conscious decision, and we're talking about years of an artist's evolution here. The jump from #5 to #43 didn't happen overnight. You don't have to be a fan of it all, but it's still good to understand the process. It's certainly not to be lazy.

-e.

I only point out that the art is different...no value judgment beyond the fact that *I* like the earlier style better. Of course, artists evolve. It's this evolution, though, that might partly explain the disparity in value between early and later PREACHER art. In fact, I believe, dollar-for-dollar, that the later art represents the far better value.

An update on the PREACHER movie (it's close to happening yet):

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23589

But at least Mendes is a fan. Here's a fun related article:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/preacher/

My own 2 cents: I think Lance Henriksen would make a cool Saint.

Seventy bucks.

That's about the median price on all these pages as they were sold off via Wildstorm before they folded. Seeing the prices they have been reaching, well it's shocking and gratifying. Those original prices seemed too good to be true back when they were happening. Personally I only wish Steve had ended up with more $ out of all that work than he did. At least it's a sign that the work is becoming more respected and finding it's place among the pantheon of really good books.

As for the old vs. new art stylings... is an artist not allowed to evolve? Look at Mignola for a good example.

Mignola,%20Hellboy%20Wolves%20page.jpg

hell23ti01p08alt-mdm.jpg

In fact look at a myriad great artists.

Too often youthful artists cover up their inconsistent drawing skills with detail and rendering. The more experienced one gets, the more they recognize that it's actually harder to do a clean drawing "right" and consistently, than it is to put details and doodads all over the place to try and make things look the same. The truth is all that added is really to cover for the fact that the cheeks, the nose, the profile looks slightly different from panel to panel, page to page.

You see the stubble and know "hey that's him". Being able to do the same without the fluff... that's the real art.

It's often not a conscious decision, and we're talking about years of an artist's evolution here. The jump from #5 to #43 didn't happen overnight. You don't have to be a fan of it all, but it's still good to understand the process. It's certainly not to be lazy.

-e.

I agree with all your points, however is the first Hellboy page earlier than the Island page? I would like to hear your opinion on the evolution of his style, especially in regards to these two pages.. I remember as a kid not liking his blocky style and now I am enamored with his it. I feel it has changed over the years and some of that has come with gaining his own voice in the comic media and doing his own character which obviously allows a huge measure of freedom.

I prefer the first page as the art is less marker-y if you will. Is that page inked and the other done in marker?

I agree with all your points, however is the first Hellboy page earlier than the Island page? I would like to hear your opinion on the evolution of his style, especially in regards to these two pages.. I remember as a kid not liking his blocky style and now I am enamored with his it. I feel it has changed over the years and some of that has come with gaining his own voice in the comic media and doing his own character which obviously allows a huge measure of freedom.

I prefer the first page as the art is less marker-y if you will. Is that page inked and the other done in marker?

Yes the 1st page is from Wolves of St. August storyline. It predates the Island page by 10 years actually.

The Wolves page is merely a darkened scan. Mike's inks have never been pure black on his originals. however, I have noticed his blacks being less and less dense on his originals. Probably due to his preference for ink. That's why the Island page looks, for lack of a better description, cloudy. Most of Mike's originals look this way. He doesn't use markers on his published art, though he has been known to do some sketches and doodles with them in the past. Especially older stuff.

Some guys just ink in super super rich blacks and some prefer less so. Mick Gray, who inked JH Williams on the Promethia stuff used super rich black inks. John Beatty also inked super rich blacks on his stuff for Kelley Jones. Kirby's various inkers brought a wide variety to the table. To bring this discussion back around to Preacher art, Dillon's inks were always relatively dark and clean. It's just the detailing and the way his line became more considered that evolved. I'm pretty sure he always used the DC provided board for those pages.

I think artists and their materials is probably a decent topic for another thread if anybody else is interested in having that discussion.

-e.