• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Praise of Doug Sulipa

53 posts in this topic

We spend so much time ripping dealers and negativity, I just wanted to single out a name big time dealer. Obviously, I've bought from almost all the major dealers and there are many who I continue to frequent for their solid grading and customer service.

I have to place Doug at the absolute pinnacle. By FAR over time now and in the last few orders the absolute BEST of the major dealer graders. When you get a book to me there are (almost always) only three possibilities. The book is exactly the grade you ordered, the book is better than the grade you ordered, or, and this is on less than 10% of the books I ordered, one step off in my opinion (i.e. 9.2 instead of 9.4). I opened my last order with Bob Siman and he was very impressed. I just opened another order and again I am very satisfied.

I also wanted to give him support because he's so responsive to emails and really cares about customer service. I received this package in 5 days and packed unbelievably well and with care. Emails were responded to within hours of initial contact with most transactions finalized quickly.

This guy sets the bar to me. One caveat of course (no one is perfect) the website is a bit confusing and difficult to navigate. But you can email him a want list or generally what you are looking for (HG Caps?) and he will send you a list. Frankly, I needed no scans on any of these, and I have yet to be disappointed. Snow white pages on many of the books and wonderful color strike. Very few with any miswraps and those that do have been noted up front and it is minor at best.

Again, I hope forumites will seriously consider using him. He is one of the absolute best.

Good thread and I agree 100%. I spent quite a bit o' cash with Doug in 2007 and was never disappointed. He was very responsive with emails and put up with a lot of nonsense and questions and mind-changing on my part.

And the books themselves were stellar and accurately graded.

Doug grades accurately, ships immediately, packs well, responds to questions and stocks all kinds of oddball items in addition to the usual dealer selection. He is located on the Canadian side of the boarder and that is a large plus for me.

About 30 years ago, our local comic club held a comic show. I can date the show as it occured shortly after the first Star Wars movie and we called it obi 2 (instead of obi wan). We were such noobs at the time, we really had no idea what we were doing. I remember we had a refreshment stand and served home made wookie cookies. We were charging the princely sum of $1 per table and somehow Doug heard about us and quickly booked 10 tables. He drove down with a ton of books and I'm sure he did very well. I still have all the Captain Canuck and Fantastic Four comics I bought off him during the show. Doug was easy to get along with and made our small local show a sucess.

I've thought about buying from Doug several times over the years, but have yet to do so. His website is very, very outdated and not the most user friendly, which is part of the reason I have not purchased anything. However, with all the recommendations I've seen from many well respected board members lately, I will definitely give him a try. (thumbs u

I've thought about buying from Doug several times over the years, but have yet to do so. His website is very, very outdated and not the most user friendly, which is part of the reason I have not purchased anything. However, with all the recommendations I've seen from many well respected board members lately, I will definitely give him a try. (thumbs u

Have NO reservations dealing with Doug. I buy mid- to low-grades where there can be also disagreements. Doug's grading is always within 0.5 of actual grade (i.e., grade given by me) so feel confident. I had a package from Doug that was never delivered and we worked that out quick easily with the PO reimbursement. Doug is great and very responsive. (thumbs u

He's great. I bought a few things off of him and they have always been spot on. He answers his phone and takes care of any issues immediately.

has anyone gotten a new email from him lately? It's been quite a while since he sent one to me about new offerings.

Sulipa's grading and books are awesome. But what makes him top notch in my book is that he gutpunches greggy upon sight. (worship)

Icing on the cake. :applause:

We spend so much time ripping dealers and negativity, I just wanted to single out a name big time dealer. Obviously, I've bought from almost all the major dealers and there are many who I continue to frequent for their solid grading and customer service.

I have to place Doug at the absolute pinnacle. By FAR over time now and in the last few orders the absolute BEST of the major dealer graders. When you get a book to me there are (almost always) only three possibilities. The book is exactly the grade you ordered, the book is better than the grade you ordered, or, and this is on less than 10% of the books I ordered, one step off in my opinion (i.e. 9.2 instead of 9.4). I opened my last order with Bob Siman and he was very impressed. I just opened another order and again I am very satisfied.

I also wanted to give him support because he's so responsive to emails and really cares about customer service. I received this package in 5 days and packed unbelievably well and with care. Emails were responded to within hours of initial contact with most transactions finalized quickly.

This guy sets the bar to me. One caveat of course (no one is perfect) the website is a bit confusing and difficult to navigate. But you can email him a want list or generally what you are looking for (HG Caps?) and he will send you a list. Frankly, I needed no scans on any of these, and I have yet to be disappointed. Snow white pages on many of the books and wonderful color strike. Very few with any miswraps and those that do have been noted up front and it is minor at best.

Again, I hope forumites will seriously consider using him. He is one of the absolute best.

Agreed.

so you guys that use him frequently-

does he price using Overstreet, GPA, or another standard?

does he do well with wish lists? Is this the way to really utilize him?

will he send scans if you ask?

so you guys that use him frequently-

does he price using Overstreet, GPA, or another standard?

does he do well with wish lists? Is this the way to really utilize him?

will he send scans if you ask?

He sells most of his undergraded books slightly above Overstreet. That shouldn't bother you as you will usually get a better book than you expected. I know that happens to greggy on a regular basis and that's why he deals with him....but I didn't know about the gut-punching thing. Obviously doesn't bother greggy as he keeps going back. (shrug)

Based on his website, looks like you have to email him requests and want lists for the most part. Is that a fair presumption? If so, firing off the small list of things I am looking for.

The only thing you need from the website is his email addy (ignore everything else), fire off a want list and he usually replies within 24hrs with grades and prices.

For hot/highgrade items expect to pay above overstreet but rest assured if he say's it's a 9.6 it is.

I have got some sweet bronze/copper books off Doug and I don't have to worry about paying for airmail shipping only to be disappointed with the grades when they arrive here.

Friendly guy too, always let's me know the day my order gets posted (which is more than I can say about some.....)