• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goon appreciation thread :)
5 5

1,060 posts in this topic

I felt like the book was on a bit of a lull for a couple issues. But it feels like he's been getting back to the ole' Goon basics in the last few issues.

Pat

+1

Some of the one-shots were fun, but I'm glad we're heading toward a larger story after the Zombie Priests warning. 2c

Why can't Eric Powell put this masterpiece out every month?????

I'd love to see more GOON, too, but when he was on the monthly schedule during "Goon Year", the quality of the book suffered, imo. I'd rather he take his time and maintain the standard he set early on. Those early issues were sheer genius.

Halloween may have come and gone, but it's never to early to prepare for next year!

http://www.trickortreatstudios.com/the_goon_full_head_halloween_mask.html

the_goon_eric_powell_halloween_mask.jpg

Slightly misleading copy for the pitch:

"This officially licensed mask is an exact replica of the Goon from the comic series and the soon to be released as a major motion picture starring Clancy Brown and Paul Giamatti and directed by David Fincher, best known for his directorial work on Fight Club and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."

I can't understand why this book hasn't captured more readers/collectors?

It's not a superhero book from Marvel or DC? (shrug) One would hope the quality of the book would allow it to break out (if not to the degree of WD, then at least more than it has up to this point). Also, because it's perceived as just a humor title. Even if that's all it was, it's still so good, that it deserves a larger audience. Powell didn't win all those Eisner Awards for nothing.

As I understand it, though, the trades are selling well. Dark Horse provides strong support. Give it time...it's happening slowly, but consistently. The readers are coming.

id like to pick up some Hardcover's from Amazon, but they seem to be out of print.

Yes, the hardcover "Fancy Pants" editions are out of print. But the trades are cheap...

I'd get the first trade to try out. If you like it, you can then get the rest. Or wait for the large format hardcover set that I understand is in the works (no idea about when it might be released, though).

I didn't realize the Fancy Pants HCs were going for so much. Great news. That and the Conan HCs are about the only new stuff that I regularly keep a copy of.

Goon is the bomb (thumbs u

Going to a mini-series format:

http://eric-powell.blogspot.com/2013/07/goon-goes-to-mini-series-format.html

Think this is a good move, all things considered. Realistically, it's hard not to burn out when it's just one guy doing everything. I don't mind the wait, if it means Powell will be better able to maintain his usual high standards.