• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New with a Question

38 posts in this topic

Note that you can only see the holder at the very top and bottom of the comic and it's fairly unobtrusive, although I'd prefer a solution with NO front visibility. We debated this heavily in another thread, and nobody pointed out any major flaw in my hypothesis--I only hang comics up in areas where I can control the light that gets to the comic, so I'm confident I'm doing almost no damage to the book.

Your pics are a little (a lot) blurry. I think you have one of those digital cameras that requires you to be absolutely still when you take the shot... and that you also need to hold the shot steady for a couple of seconds afterwards. Even the act of pressing the button to take the shot can jostle the camera so it has to be a smooth action.

They actually sell little on-desk 4" tripods to hold the camera steady for shots like the one on your desk.

They're on eBay from $1-5.

tripod2.jpg

It's a webcam that doesn't get any better...I haven't entered the digital camera world yet because I'm waiting for the ones that take pictures in the higher resolutions to come down in price and I'm in no hurry. I don't follow them closely so correct me if I'm wrong...you get a LOT better resolution by using a standard camera and scanning the print photos, right? That's the solution I mostly use, and if the pics are for functional reasons that don't require clarity, I just use the webcam.

No....Prince Planet was a totally different character. Astro Boy (or the mighty atom as he should be correctly called) is a robot built by Professor Elephant. Prince Planet was an alien prince who obtained his powers from a medallion around his neck. As he exerted himself in battle the power meter would fall and his strength would begin to fail leaving him at risk to his attackers until he could get it recharged.

But thanks for the response..... thumbsup2.gif

Nice job ff. Im very impressed. cool.gif

Thanks, it's been a few years since I came up with this solution, but back when I first came up with it, I spent a few months of occasional searching before I realized plate accessories could be so useful for CGC books. acclaim.gif

Those are some nice frame jobs.

I wish I could get a photo of mine, but I do not have the equipment.

Mine look like many “professional” framed jobs. You have a glass/black frame, then a white spacer (don't know the true name, but is a cut out piece of cardboard that spaces the item from the glass) and finally the comic in the Mylar sleeve is mounted on the black background with those 3M squares used to hang posters. The comic would slide to the bottom of the frame if not for the mounts. Because of the surrounding support, I did not include a backing board inside the sleeve (mistake?).

I also forgot to add that when I was doing this room I knew I would be displaying many items that could be damaged by sunlight (some from the late 1700s). I used UV Plexiglas for the 2 storm windows that also have blinds that remain closed.

Ill try to find that old string because I am interested in the possibilities. Again, the only obvious risk I can think of is possible damage from a fall. Just wanted to check before I did the same for my poor copy of Uncanny #1, older Fantastic 4s, Tales and Green Lanterns.

No....Prince Planet was a totally different character. Astro Boy (or the mighty atom as he should be correctly called) is a robot built by Professor Elephant. Prince Planet was an alien prince who obtained his powers from a medallion around his neck. As he exerted himself in battle the power meter would fall and his strength would begin to fail leaving him at risk to his attackers until he could get it recharged.

But thanks for the response..... thumbsup2.gif

You're right. I watched Prince Planet when I was a kid living in Chicago... but when I grew up, I was told that was Astro Boy. Now, if I get Kimba confused with the Lion King.... feel free to enroll me in a nursing home...

I think I was too young to fully comprehend the plot.

There was also a live action show about a family of robots with long hair that lived in a volcano... but I can't remember the name...

I had forgotten about Kimba...never a fan as he was such a [!@#%^&^] and the plots were kinda lame but it brings to mind other's like Crusader Rabbit..Rocky and Bullwinkle (of course), Space Angel, Dudley Doright, Deputy Dawg, and on and on and on

Don't remember one about a family of robots...mustn't have made it down under.

I frame a bunch of my comics in those frames that are just 2 pieces of glass with a slight black border. The biggest pain is getting them to look straight but they look really nice mounted on a wall, sort of just hanging in mid-air.

Also, if you really want to stop UV rays, one of the easiest ways is to frame everything in glass. Glass stops UV rays but plastics don't (unless they are treated).

Personally,I don't display my comics , but if you do, no sunlight in that room.By the way: WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!! hi.gif

27_laughing.gif No sunlight? So how do comics look displayed in a closet? cool.gif

If a slabbed comic is displayed in an unlit closet, and no one sees it, does it make a "minty fresh" sound in the CGC census?

Now, if I get Kimba confused with the Lion King.... feel free to enroll me in a nursing home...

Not that difficult a mistake to make, since Disney swiped most every aspect of The Lion King from Kimba, the white lion... basically every primary character in The Lion King is derived from a primary character in Kimba, from the evil uncle with a monosyllabic name on down... to the banishment of the young lion hero, to the name (Simba vs. Kimba), and much more. In fact, prior to the premier of The Lion King, Roy Disney referred to the main character as Kimba...!

As I understand it, the folks at Disney still deny that they stole the concept, and the folks in Japan who created Kimba were flattered that Disney would steal from them, as Disney is (or at least was for many years) revered among Japan's animation community.

Here's a great site devoted to this very subject... note the large number of examples in which Disney didn't even bother to hide the fact that they were stealing whole scenes and numerous shots... http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm