• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: calling all wine connoisseurs and wine snobs.

184 posts in this topic

Well to me wine is all about hanging out with friends, over good conversation and/or a meal.

And I definitly don't do it often enough!

Who needs friends when you're drinking. All that means is that you have to share!

(tsk)

Well to me wine is all about hanging out with friends, over good conversation and/or a meal.

Who needs friends when you're drinking. All that means is that you have to share!

(tsk)

That's why you never pull out your best bottle! :devil:

(tsk)

lol

(tsk)

lol

I remember a couple of years ago I took a girl to one of my favorite restaurants where you BYOB. We were sitting eating and (she) looking over my shoulder, noticed a wine that another table of about 8 men were drinking. She askes me very loudly where I thought they got that cheap red wine? I started to tell her it wasn't cool to pick on someones wine choice till I turned around and saw... doh!

68460.jpg.789607fbb3c92c10b8f71d00990f9975.jpg

If you can find them in the States, some of the following Australian wines won't blow the bank account, but they are fantastic wines:

Zema Estate: http://www.zema.com.au/

from the Coonawarra Region (where some of the best Australian reds are made)

Kangarilla Road: http://www.kangarillaroad.com.au/

from the McLaren Vale region (South Australia) the Shiraz is one of the best (even better if you can put it down for a few years)

Often called poor man's Grange, Penfold's Bin 389 (execllent drinking, even when young) from the Barossa Valey (a blend from Barossa/Coonawarra and others), Cabermet Shiraz: http://www.penfolds.com/

Leconfield, again from Coonawarra: http://www.leconfieldwines.com/

The Cabernet Sauvignon is an excellent wine, and one to put down. Their Merlot is also very good.

De Bortoli make some nice (cheap) quaffing wines: http://www.debortoli.com.au/

I live in central California. I bartended my way through college in a high end fine dining restaurant and I have had a great love of wine for over 10 years. I have over 100 bottles around at any given time. I think for the money you cannot go wrong with California wines from the central cost Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, etc. They can compete all day long with the Napa big boys but at a lesser price. Napa wines are world class but you pay extra for it being a Napa wine. Same thing for Sonoma but slightly less so.

It is hard to recommend a wine for someone when you don’t know their taste so I recommend that you just drink a bunch of wine. Get together with some friends and family, go to bevmo or Costco or wherever and pick up several bottles and have tasting parties.

I also go wine tasting at the wineries around Paso Robles a couple times a year and I am in several wine clubs.

In the end go with what you like, price does not mean all that much but I have to be honest, cheap wine can be good but it is still cheap wine. Like comic books there are deals to be had but you get what you pay for. I have paid $100.00 for a bottle I thought was garbage and I am drinking a $18 bottle right now that I think is heaven. :cloud9:

The only rule is that there are no rules, go with what you like!

Now I must return to my drinking. :applause:

Bonny Doon in Santa Cruz puts out some great wines...can't go wrong...try their blend Le Cigare Volante...sublime... :headbang:

I have had their Pacific Rim Riesling, but it has been a few years. I thought it quite nice at the time. Right now I am drinking a Tobin James Cab Franc. :cloud9:

just picked up a bottle of greg normans cabernet-merlot and a bottle of mondavi cabernet sauvignon

I read this at first as a kind of joke.. I mean, Greg Norman shirts, gold caps, shoes , clubs I can understand. But wine?

but sure why not: branding is branding. All it takes is a wallet and an interest in wine to buy and manage a vineyard, like Coppola, etc