• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the official timelines for when the Marvel and DC lines officially died?

33 posts in this topic

These modern comics are totally confusing, I have it peg at

DC UNIVERSE we have known and loved died during Crisis on Infinite Earths

since then a total mess,they should have kept the multiple Earths.

MARVEL UNIVERSE we have known and loved died around Onslaught/Heroes Reborn

since then a total mess, they should have kept Jim Shooter.

any thoughts or are thier different timelines were they started to become confusing?

any thoughts or are thier different timelines were they started to become confusing?

Secret Wars is the cutoff for me (shrug)

Secret Wars is the cutoff for me (shrug)

I thought it was when the Surfer showed up on the scene.

lol

Continuity is overrated. There's no way to keep 40+ years of stories straight and consistent. DC used to do a "soft reboot" about every eight years, but I don't know if that is still their policy. It seems now they do a summer "big event crisis reboot" every year to sell one shots and minis to fanboys (and girls).

I'd love to see both companies go back to 12 issues a year with a summer annual and focus more on story and less on fake marketing events.

And DC is back to multiple Earths now. 52 of them.

Continuity is overrated. There's no way to keep 40+ years of stories straight and consistent. DC used to do a "soft reboot" about every eight years, but I don't know if that is still their policy. It seems now they do a summer "big event crisis reboot" every year to sell one shots and minis to fanboys (and girls).

I'd love to see both companies go back to 12 issues a year with a summer annual and focus more on story and less on fake marketing events.

And DC is back to multiple Earths now. 52 of them.

WOW! see confusion. should have kept it at Earth prime,Earth 1, Earth 2 and a few token Earths sprinkled in. Lets not even talk about Legion or Hawkmans continuity or we be here all day.

And all this is why my current pull list consists of a lot of Vertigo books and a lot of other franchises such as Conan, Criminal, the European reprints by Soleil, Usaji Yojimbo, the Spirit, Jonah Hex, Top 10, ... all series unfettered by incomprehensible continuity :P The only book with serious continuity I buy is JSA and it's been sucking rocks for the last year or so.

And DC isn't? Puhleeze. :P

Take it easy, Marvel Boy, you'll crease your M.M.M.S. card.

Mine gets more wrinkled with age as it's tattooed on my azz. :)

You two girls let me know if you run out of superlatives to use , and I'll help out ............... :whistle:

And DC isn't? Puhleeze. :P

Take it easy, Marvel Boy, you'll crease your M.M.M.S. card.

Mine gets more wrinkled with age as it's tattooed on my azz. :)

You two girls let me know if you run out of superlatives to use , and I'll help out ............... :whistle:

:censored: off, Hooks. You should get that tattooed on your azz.

We were talking about this yesterday. I have a few buddies who have been out of collecting for 2 years and they are trying to start collecting again. Both are confused and finding it hard to figure out what is going on in Marvel and DC universes.

I wish they would stop trying these big events that span through almost every title. I understand that they are trying to sucker everyone into buying the obscure garbage titles but it doing the oposite.....its chasing a w ay the people who collect the popular titles. I pity anyone who is new to comics and trying to follow these sotrylines. How many more times must DC kill, convict or seriously hurt Batman before the understand that they don't need to do this. With proper writers and artist Batman could and should be the best title out there.

And all this is why my current pull list consists of a lot of Vertigo books and a lot of other franchises such as Conan, Criminal, the European reprints by Soleil, Usaji Yojimbo, the Spirit, Jonah Hex, Top 10, ... all series unfettered by incomprehensible continuity :P

:golfclap:

Absolutely! The best moderns going right now (e.g. The Goon, Walking Dead, Vertigo titles, et al) are the ones that don't have the huge, lumbering, incongruous timelines that confuse even the people that regularly read the stuff from the Big 2!

I got back into comics about two years ago after a long hiatus. I went to my LCS, looked at the giant, confusing wall of Marvel and DC and said "*spoon* that!" I don't care whose a Skrull, how many Earths there are, or what character is arbitrarily being killed just to sell more books.

Subsequently, that day at the LCS, I bought some Dark Horse and Image titles and haven't even bothered with any new Marvel or DC since. I think the only Big 2 book I've even bought since being back is the new Joker HC.

Gimmicks don't sell comics. Story and art do. (thumbs u

We were talking about this yesterday. I have a few buddies who have been out of collecting for 2 years and they are trying to start collecting again. Both are confused and finding it hard to figure out what is going on in Marvel and DC universes.

I wish they would stop trying these big events that span through almost every title. I understand that they are trying to sucker everyone into buying the obscure garbage titles but it doing the oposite.....its chasing a w ay the people who collect the popular titles. I pity anyone who is new to comics and trying to follow these sotrylines. How many more times must DC kill, convict or seriously hurt Batman before the understand that they don't need to do this. With proper writers and artist Batman could and should be the best title out there.

amen to all that. I cant follow any of the crossover series, and, am really not interested in 4978 of DC or Marvels 5000 characters. SO these universally wide crossover events are just noise to my eyes.

the last big event that worked for me was Identity Crisis. It was universe wide, but, contained to one simple mystery story, a whodonit. Unfortunately, the hook that it was hinged on (wiping memories) and the series' success has directly led to the massively overscaled DC Crises After Crisis industry we are now slogging thru, going on 3 years already!!

enough. Who can follow this stuff?

who cares enough to try?

I really liked the first Secret Wars.

So did I ... last book I ever bought (before I came back in 2001) was Secret Wars #1.

Took me 15 years to read the rest..Marvel should have rebooted after the end of Secret Wars #1 :cloud9:

And all this is why my current pull list consists of a lot of Vertigo books and a lot of other franchises such as Conan, Criminal, the European reprints by Soleil, Usaji Yojimbo, the Spirit, Jonah Hex, Top 10, ... all series unfettered by incomprehensible continuity :P The only book with serious continuity I buy is JSA and it's been sucking rocks for the last year or so.

:applause:

I'm a huge Marvel nut, but the only new books I still read and enjoy are not from the big two...