• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I gained from the pressing thread

437 posts in this topic

Why does a select group of collectors expect the rest of the comic collecting world to cater to them? I just don't understand that. You don't like pressing, ask about it. It can't really be that hard. I have disdain for date stamps, I ask.. why can't you?

"a select group"

: to relegate to an unimportant or powerless position within a society or group

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

:cloud9:

Chris,

why is it when someone confronts/points out the "just ask" angle, you automatically reply with something like this?

You are in a select group. But you have the power to ask and because you have that power and ability, the definition that you toss out is nto germane to the argument. In short, its a crutch and not worth the ether that it is being transmitted across

I'm a proponent of proactive disclosure. I believe that structural manipulation should be disclosed upfront.

My stance isn't complicated.

No, but his question must have been. He asked why use something like you did when someone points the "just ask" angle. He already KNEW what you believe.

Wow. Being someone that continually attempts to marginalize the concerns of "anti-pressers"......I'm surprised you're unable to grasp my intent.

I think your assumption that 9.0 and 9.2 books aren't pressed is flawed...but whatever rationale makes sense to you.

I don't think that there are no pressed books in the 9.0/9.2 range. I just think that you are a lot less likely to catch them in that range. There isn't as much financial incentive to get them pressed in that grade range.

Also, with the lesser price differences between the lower grades, you aren't going to be a much larger sum of money for a book that was actually a grade or two lower.

At least that's my opinion. (thumbs u

Well, that's flawed too...depending on the book. We've seen midgrade books that have been pressed that was worth it from a financial standpoint. If you're filtering books that YOU collect, then that's fine. But folks reading your statement at face value will be misled.

You still havent answered the question i presented to you either.

What are you asking Arex?

I think the "Ask & I'll Tell" policy is BS. (shrug)

In the defense of Chris:

I witnessed him asking a seller in a FS thread. The response he got was something to the fact that "If you can't read, I don't even want to sell to you". (I'm sure Chris remembers and it might have been a little worse than I described)

Why does a select group of collectors expect the rest of the comic collecting world to cater to them? I just don't understand that. You don't like pressing, ask about it. It can't really be that hard. I have disdain for date stamps, I ask.. why can't you?

"a select group"

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

Chris,

why is it when someone confronts/points out the "just ask" angle, you automatically reply with something like this?

You are in a select group. But you have the power to ask and because you have that power and ability, the definition that you toss out is nto germane to the argument. In short, its a crutch and not worth the ether that it is being transmitted across

I'm a proponent of proactive disclosure. I believe that structural manipulation should be disclosed upfront.

No, but his question must have been. He asked why use something like you did when someone points the "just ask" angle. He already KNEW what you believe.

Hey Steve,

Why when I asked you if a particular book had been pressed did you choose to ridicule me? I did what they pro-pressing community said I should do and instead of getting an answer I got your BS answer? Seems like people don't want to disclose when asked?

In the defense of Chris:

I witnessed him asking a seller in a FS thread. The response he got was something to the fact that "If you can't read, I don't even want to sell to you". (I'm sure Chris remembers and it might have been a little worse than I described)

I think that was me. It stated very clearly in my thread that any book might be pressed and Chris has known my stance on pressing for years. He was only in the thread to ask the question, not to buy the book, so I told him "I don't want customers who can't read". I really do not want Chris as a customer even though we get along well. I would rather keep him as someone that I hang out with at cons then worry about selling him books.

BTW... this is not to say I would not sell to people who do not REALLY know how to read. Chris can read just fine.

You are "defending" him about something he did on purpose in someone's sales thead. I think that trolling a sales thread is not allowed here and if I remember, anti-pressers derailed that sales thread, which turned into another pressing thread/cluster f**k. doh!

"a select group"

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

Chris,

Hey Steve,

Why when I asked you if a particular book had been pressed did you choose to ridicule me? I did what they pro-pressing community said I should do and instead of getting an answer I got your BS answer? Seems like people don't want to disclose when asked?

hm Kinda like what I was saying a couple of posts back. :gossip: Same seller too.

"a select group"

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

Chris,

Hey Steve,

Because you did it to stir the pot and no other reason. VERY SIMPLE.

In the defense of Chris:

I think that was me. It stated very clearly in my thread that any book might be pressed and Chris has known my stance on pressing for years. He was only in the thread to ask the question, not to buy the book, so I told him "I don't want customers who can't read". I really do not want Chris as a customer even though we get along well. I would rather keep him as someone that I hang out with at cons then worry about selling him books.

BTW... this is not to say I would not sell to people who do not REALLY know how to read. Chris can read just fine.

You are "defending" him about something he did on purpose in someone's sales thead. I think that trolling a sales thread is not allowed here and if I remember, anti-pressers derailed that sales thread, which turned into another pressing thread/cluster f**k. doh!

Too bad it wasn't me that asked. doh!

They may not but some of their potential buyers do. That's the crux of the issue here. It's not what they think but rather who they're selling to. It's called customer service...

I agree 100% with this. (thumbs u

I let the customer choose to deal with me or not, based on the way I represent my biz.

When that customer chooses to deal with me, I then try and give them the customer service I believe want from me.

From what I have seen, a large % of people choose to deal with me and a large % of them like my customer service as well as the comic books. OA, & comic related stuff that I provide.

If I lose .01 % of the customer base in our hobby, I can't worry about it.

True...but if you're selling comics in the Forum Marketplace, I'd say the percentage is much more than .01%.

Jim

I move MOST of my comics outside the market place. You really can't sell a big book here for great money, hell, I put reasonably priced books up here, they pass, and I sell them somewhere else for more. I know that happens too many people in the market place. I like giving our community 1st shot at many books, but I do not give them first shot on all, far from it.

Ask, Joe, Mike, Stephen, and others on the board who have seen my house, I have thousands of comic books. I sell to many people who have known me for last year all the way to friends I have known for 20 years. My website is about ready for a test run and I sell on ebay (opened a store last night, one item up :blush: ). I also sell through consignment sites.

This is a very little pond I, and I believe you, like to hang out, talk, and make friends in. The "real" hobby has thousands and thousands of people in it.

I realize that Steve...

I'm talking about the comics you list on the Marketplace itself. If you had identified the comics that were pressed, I would have looked at your offerings and possibly bought one.

Jim

In the defense of Chris:

I'm done here Steve. I guess bat-man fan was just kidding too. meh

In the defense of Chris:

Didn't you just write this?

Why when I asked you if a particular book had been pressed did you choose to ridicule me?

Stray from the points all you want, bottom line is I am very upfront about how I run my business and you still have not answered arex's question.

If it was someone else, I beleive it was someone there to just stir the pot.

"a select group"

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

Chris,

Hey Steve,

You are 100% wrong. it was an X-men 94 in 8.0 (or 8.5 can't remember which). I was interested in it for myself. I have been trying to find a copy for a while that was priced reasonable. You just decided not to disclose when asked.

In the defense of Chris:

Why when I asked you if a particular book had been pressed did you choose to ridicule me?

Stray from the points all you want, bottom line is I am very upfront about how I run my business and you still have not answered arex's question.

:tonofbricks:

They may not but some of their potential buyers do. That's the crux of the issue here. It's not what they think but rather who they're selling to. It's called customer service...

I agree 100% with this. (thumbs u

I let the customer choose to deal with me or not, based on the way I represent my biz.

When that customer chooses to deal with me, I then try and give them the customer service I believe want from me.

From what I have seen, a large % of people choose to deal with me and a large % of them like my customer service as well as the comic books. OA, & comic related stuff that I provide.

If I lose .01 % of the customer base in our hobby, I can't worry about it.

True...but if you're selling comics in the Forum Marketplace, I'd say the percentage is much more than .01%.

Jim

I move MOST of my comics outside the market place. You really can't sell a big book here for great money, hell, I put reasonably priced books up here, they pass, and I sell them somewhere else for more. I know that happens too many people in the market place. I like giving our community 1st shot at many books, but I do not give them first shot on all, far from it.

Ask, Joe, Mike, Stephen, and others on the board who have seen my house, I have thousands of comic books. I sell to many people who have known me for last year all the way to friends I have known for 20 years. My website is about ready for a test run and I sell on ebay (opened a store last night, one item up :blush: ). I also sell through consignment sites.

This is a very little pond I, and I believe you, like to hang out, talk, and make friends in. The "real" hobby has thousands and thousands of people in it.

I realize that Steve...

I'm talking about the comics you list on the Marketplace itself. If you had identified the comics that were pressed, I would have looked at your offerings and possibly bought one.

Jim

Gotcha, but I don't care if I lose 10% of the market place, that still is not .001% of the hobby. I would rather just hang and discuss things with you on here and not sell you books.

As I stated, I have thousands of books. I have enough trouble keeping track of everything else I need to do, then worry and take extra time for the pressed books. I am also not going to ask when I buy collections if books were pressed, I usually don't ask when buying single books if they were pressed, so if I start trying to remember which ones were pressed or not, I am going to screw up. At that point I am a liar and a thief on these boards. I would much rather just sell to the people who like pressed books or do not care.

"a select group"

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

Chris,

Hey Steve,

You are 100% wrong. it was an X-men 94 in 8.0 (or 8.5 can't remember which). I was interested in it for myself. I have been trying to find a copy for a while that was priced reasonable. You just decided not to disclose when asked.

But you read my sales thread did you not? If so, why still ask?

In the defense of Chris:

:tonofbricks:

lol

:foryou:

"a select group"

mar·gin·al·i·za·tion

Chris,

Hey Steve,

But you read my sales thread did you not? If so, why still ask?

Because you say books may be pressed not all are pressed and all the people on the board say "why not just ask, is that so hard" which I did, but I guess you do agree with the people that say that.