• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I gained from the pressing thread

437 posts in this topic

How about this:

"Is this book pressed? "

Or is there another way I should ask the question?

Waaay too snarky Chris. :kidaround:

And isn't this what this is really all about?, Steve's attitude about it all, as opposed to his actual stance?

Even he will admit he is being a smarty pants

I wil admit that. :grin:

Andy (GD40), though, has very smart red pants! :kidaround:

BTW........I love the word "Snarky". I am going to use it more often! :banana:

Well as usual things are going round in circles again so with this being the last time I post in this thread (unless I think of something else to say) my final word is..... thanks to those sellers who proactively disclose, you will always be the first sellers who I buy from. (worship)

BTW, can anyone satisfy my curiosity by telling me how much roughly it costs to get a bunch of books pressed? (shrug)

BTW, can anyone satisfy my curiosity by telling me how much roughly it costs to get a bunch of books pressed? (shrug)

I just checked Matt's website and it said the following:

A handful: $74.99.

A bunch: $128.99.

An armload: On special for only $299.99.

You still havent answered the question i presented to you either.

What are you asking Arex?

I think the "Ask & I'll Tell" policy is BS. (shrug)

Im asking why you always toss up the marginalized angle when someone uses the Ask and Tell.

You arent marginalized because you still have the power to ask. To become marginalized means to not have the ability, power, or audience to express your concerns.

You have that with dealers, a "Is this pressed" puts all the power in the palm of your hand.

So, i just want to know why you keep moving the debate from m first question I asked you

WTF? doh!

It is the attempt to marginalize the views of those that oppose the practice of pressing that I was responding to.

I understand what marginalized means, but I appreciate your condescention in explaining it to me. Thanks for that.

I don't accept the "Ask & I'll Tell" policy because I consider PRESSING TO BE RESTORATION .

I'm not the only one.

Even if one truly believes that it isn't resto, one can hardly dismiss the fact that it's a form of structural manipulation. The work done had a significant impact on the CGC numerical grade, and should be disclosed up front.

Why not disclose it?

Tell me Arex.....

Why have you adopted the "Ask & I'll Tell" policy?

Explain it to me like I'm a five-year-old.......

If you truly believe pressing is restoration, you need to ask if every book is pressed. If you don't ask, you must then assume every book is pressed.

Why don't sellers disclose? Because there's no marketplace pressure on them to do so. The market either 1) doesn't know about pressing or 2) doesn't care - either reason is essentially the same. By not asking and taking the "high road" you are, essentially, negating this

Even if one truly believes that it isn't resto, one can hardly dismiss the fact that it's a form of structural manipulation. The work done had a significant impact on the CGC numerical grade, and should be disclosed up front.

As the seller doesn't see any market forces making him disclose anything, he will continue not to. If a pressed book gets a blue label, and nobody asks about it, there's really no reason to say anything. Enough people ask, and people's business practices will change.

(worship) (thumbs u (worship)

I just checked Matt's website and it said the following:

A handful: $74.99.

A bunch: $128.99.

An armload: On special for only $299.99.

Thanks to you too Domo. (thumbs u I guess it was lazy of me not to go and find it myself.

Thanks to you too Domo. (thumbs u I guess it was lazy of me not to go and find it myself.

No problem...it didn't take me long to make those prices up. :kidaround:

Nope, the policy of buy somewhere else because my books might be pressed isn't good enough. Now sellers are expected to adapt and change they way they buy, catagorize, track, and even submit books. All to cater to the needs of a few, and it is only few giving Steve a problem with his policy.

Er...all I said was it could be easily done if you wanted to.

Can't remember me demanding it, nor expecting it.

Or maybe I'm having trouble reading what I wrote. meh

You are right. You onlly gave an example of how it could be done. I'm sure there are many ways.

In order for SB to have any other policy, he would have to adopt and put the effort in to one system or the other. He dosen't want to do that. I've seen his stuff, I could understand why. So really he is doing the best possible thing, by saying it the way he has. I can't speak for Steve, maybe that isn't why he has his policy. Some dealers can't even be bothered to price thier inventory, some can't be bothered with back cover scans. If you don't like it don't buy.

That's Steve....you'd decided to adopt his policy as well after saying multiple times on this Forum you WOULD disclose.

Why would you flip like that? And you can can the problem buyers angle as I haven't seen you identify an anti-presser as giving you a problem in the past. Is it a fear of actually upfront identifying which ones are pressed?

I'm not being glib here and looking for a serious answer. Your flipping to a non-disclosure disclosure is more troubling than Steve. At least he has been consistent from the start...

Jim

Jim,

I have no issue with Steve's policy and understand the logic behind it, although I'm sure there is some intentional "snarkiness" there.

Now, let's get something straight. I never adopted his policy. In a previous pressing thread, I stated that I could considering adopting his policy. I have not.

My policy has always been the same:

The market as a whole doesn't demand proactive disclosure, therfore I don't find it necessary when selling CGC graded comic books. If a person wants to know, they should ask.

For the record, I have always disclosed when asked. I always will disclosed when asked. Most times I have disclosed with out being asked, although that is not my position on the subject.

In my last two sales threads I have been asked three times by only two people if a book was pressed. One, because they didn't want to press it again, the other two questions were inquiring because I bought the book from them and they wanted to know if they undergraded the book. In those two sales threads, I proactively disclosed every pressed book as pressed before the deal closed. No deals were broken. I even sold a top census book to a known presser. Surely he realizes that he can go pick one off of the 9.2/9.4 tree and magicly manufacture his own rather than pay top dollar.

I have always been for disclosure and my stance has not changed. I haven't "flipped" mess except comic books, and I don't fear mess except for something bad happening to my family. The last thing I fear is identifying pressed books in my possesion because they might sell for less. This is not the way I make a living. If my pretty books don't sell, I'll keep them.

Jim, I am "troubled" that you post inaccurate information about people. There are people out there that may not know me, or have ever read any of my posts, and may not know where I stand. I don't like that they can read your innacurate spewage and possobly draw the wrong conclusion about me.

You don't need to be "troubled" over something that never happened.

This is my policy:

(Pretty much, what my policy has always been, but spelled out for everyone.)

I am pro-pressing. To me it is the same end result as simply placing the book in optimal storage conditions, thus improving the book’s state of preservation and technical grade. No different then storing the book in less than favorable conditions which result in defects that lessen the state of preservation.

I press comics that I think can benefit from the process, and have achieved some nice results. As a result, some of my inventory has been pressed. I do not ask other sellers about pressing when I buy books from them, so I only know the history of books in which I have pressed or had pressed. There is also the possibility that if I have multiples of a comic, such as a modern, that I will loose track of which books have been pressed.

It is my opinion that pressing is an accepted practice with in the hobby and a very noninvasive procedure when done correctly. It is also my opinion that selling CGC graded blue label comics without proactive disclosure is the current accepted standard in the hobby. However, it is not my intention or desire to sell anyone a book which they may consider undesirable, but I do think people should take responsibility for themselves. If you have a desire for any reason to know if a book has been pressed, please ask before buying.

I understand that everyone may not be aware of pressing and what it is. There is an abundance of easily accessible information out there on the subject.

OK...I must have gotten that interpretation by this post and a follow-up in another thread where you said you were thinking of adopting Steve's policy...

For the record: I am not against proactive disclosure and have many more times than not practiced proactive disclosure.

If pro-active disclosure wasn't your intent than I apologize for thinking otherwise.

It's a shame though as I think you're making a mistake...

Jim

You still havent answered the question i presented to you either.

What are you asking Arex?

I think the "Ask & I'll Tell" policy is BS. (shrug)

Im asking why you always toss up the marginalized angle when someone uses the Ask and Tell.

You arent marginalized because you still have the power to ask. To become marginalized means to not have the ability, power, or audience to express your concerns.

You have that with dealers, a "Is this pressed" puts all the power in the palm of your hand.

So, i just want to know why you keep moving the debate from m first question I asked you

WTF? doh!

It is the attempt to marginalize the views of those that oppose the practice of pressing that I was responding to.

I understand what marginalized means, but I appreciate your condescention in explaining it to me. Thanks for that.

I don't accept the "Ask & I'll Tell" policy because I consider PRESSING TO BE RESTORATION .

I'm not the only one.

Why not disclose it?

Tell me Arex.....

Why have you adopted the "Ask & I'll Tell" policy?

Explain it to me like I'm a five-year-old.......

Chris, you arent being margenalined at all. The definition, that you supplied yourself is to loose the ability to express your concern or something like that.

You have that ability simply by asking the question is the book pressed.

Nw, I havent adopted the policy of ask and tell. Where you got that idea from I dont have a clue. Ask anyone ive dealt with on a book ive had pressed.

Monkeyman bought some books from me. I told him that one of the raws was pressed. He didnt have to ask.

Ask Dekeuk about it on a Bats 320 weve talked about.

Dunno where you get the idea. Although to be honest, I completely understand and parts of me wants to go to the ask and tell policy, but I dont because Ive done it this way from the get-go

Jim,

My "official" policy (below) in my opinion is a pretty fair position and quite a bit of a compromise.

It states my position on pressing.

It states that I have or have had books that have been pressed..

It states that I will willingly provide disclosure.

It states that I have the customers best interest in mind.

It states that if you are unaware, that education is out there.

It also leaves one small bit of responsibility to the buyer. If that is to much effort for someone to put forth, then IMO the issue is greater than disclosure. In which case, it is probably just as well for me that we do not do business.

I believe you are making a mistake. For what ever reason, if you refuse to do business with people that don't see eye to eye to you on a subjective issue, it could possibly be more of a loss to you. Stuborness, and refusal to put much less effort in to asking then it takes to post in all of these pressing threads, may eliminate an opportunity to obtain something you may desire. But we all know books come and go, so I'm sure you won't suffer in any way.

Really, if my policy isn't good enough, if a buyer can't appreciate what I am offering in policy and product, if a buyer can't take some initiative and responsibility, then I doubt that I will miss thier business.

Official Policy on Pressed Books:

I am pro-pressing. To me it is the same end result as simply placing the book in optimal storage conditions, thus improving the book’s state of preservation and technical grade. No different then storing the book in less than favorable conditions which result in defects that lessen the state of preservation.

I press comics that I think can benefit from the process, and have achieved some nice results. As a result, some of my inventory has been pressed. I do not ask other sellers about pressing when I buy books from them, so I only know the history of books in which I have pressed or had pressed. There is also the possibility that if I have multiples of a comic, such as a modern, that I will loose track of which books have been pressed.

It is my opinion that pressing is an accepted practice with in the hobby and a very noninvasive procedure when done correctly. It is also my opinion that selling CGC graded blue label comics without proactive disclosure is the current accepted standard in the hobby. However, it is not my intention or desire to sell anyone a book which they may consider undesirable, but I do think people should take responsibility for themselves. If you have a desire for any reason to know if a book has been pressed, please ask before buying.

I understand that everyone may not be aware of pressing and what it is. There is an abundance of easily accessible information out there on the subject.