• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,935 posts in this topic

Not the highest grade, but goes nicely in my "not the highest grade FF collection." I'm trying to get a nice run of #140 - #200 (which is the time frame I collected as a kid). I need to get a #144 and a #146 to complete #140 - #150. I've got a few 8.5 clunkers in there, but the 8.5 #148 is a really nice looking book.

FF147_CGC92_Front_zps0f59faee.jpg

Thumbnails2_zpsee8468b2.png

I think too much emphasis gets placed on the ultra high grades by some. For the price of a few 9.8s you can complete a run that you love.

Agreed, and just buy what you like (which to me is well-presented copies of books I like) and don't get caught up in the 9.8 frenzy unless your OCD forces you to.

Well I went to a yard sale today and bought Wolverine mine series 1,2.. Ms Marvel 1x5, Spectacular spiderman 1x3 spawn 9, ROM 31, GI Joe 1...The Amazing Spiderman 195,208. Star Wars 42s, Nova 1 all came from same yard sale. The books I kept are super nice and the ones I traded were probably 8-8.5 Pretty nice copies, drove straight to a comic shop and traded for Batman 232, X-Men 127. Bought Astonishing Tales for 20, about 8.5.. All in all a GREAT day for comics :) Oh, and the Batman probably 7.0

i4kp.jpgell I

I think too much emphasis gets placed on the ultra high grades by some. For the price of a few 9.8s you can complete a run that you love.

Agreed, and just buy what you like (which to me is well-presented copies of books I like) and don't get caught up in the 9.8 frenzy unless your OCD forces you to.

lol Very well put!

I think too much emphasis gets placed on the ultra high grades by some. For the price of a few 9.8s you can complete a run that you love. Congrats on being 2 away from your run! :applause:

Thanks guys. That's pretty much been my approach (with one exception). I try to find the best presenting, well-centered copy I can get in 8.5 or above.

When I first started collecting CGC FFs, I was lucky enough to pick up the FF 149 CGC 8.5 and FF 148 CGC 8.5 as my first purchases for a really good price. They both present very well, and I thought "if this is what 8.5s look like, I don't need any higher grade." These however have been the exception--other 8.5s haven't looked quite as good, though. To be quite honest, several of the 9.4s I have don't look as good as these two 8.5s. I'm not sure what brought the FF 148 down, but I called for the graders' notes (when they were still free) on the FF 149 (light spine stress, fading at spine)--I think the fading at the spine is what really caused the lower grade. The fading doesn't look that excessive to me, and I'm not sure it's not just a printing defect.

So, the FF 149 has been my only exception to just sticking with a nice presenting, well-centered copy and not worrying too much about the grade. FF 149 was the first comic I purchased off the rack at my local 7-11 as a kid, so it holds a special place in my memories. I came across this nice CGC 9.6 copy of it (but I've held onto the CGC 8.5 copy as well). Sadly, I probably could have gotten two other books I need for my run for what I paid for the FF 149 CGC 9.6. :blush:

Here's what the 8.5 and 9.6 look like.

FF149_CGC85_Front_zps16be0a58.jpg

FF149_CGC96_Front_zps16067601.jpg

Will get scans when I can.

014 Black Panther 1 1/77 Marvel Comics Double Cover Universal 9.8 WHITE 1st cover 9.6, interior 9.8

015 Iron Man 34 2/71 Marvel Comics Universal 9.8 WHITE

010 Marvel Premiere 15 5/74 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 WHITE

002 Where Monsters Dwell 29 7/74 Marvel Comics Universal 9.4 WHITE Next to impossible to find in NM or better.

In the middle of a big move but managed to squeeze in the time to find these beauties to add to my Whitman collection. None of the high grade, except for the sealed 2 pak, but still quite happy with my purchases. Filled in a lot of holes.

145030.jpg.f2049ab0159523ecf43263e0f18792b1.jpg

Edited by Bellrules1