• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,905 posts in this topic

Every year for the past three years during February (or so), my wife and I have taken our daughter and her best friend (whose birthdays are only a few weeks apart) to the Tysons Corner Mall (just north of Washington, DC in VA) for a daytrip/shopping spree.

Back in the '90s, I regularly attended shows in northern Virginia. This year, I decided that I'd had enough of sitting on benches outside of stores favored by teenage girls, and, on a whim, went on-line before we left this morning to see if there were still any comics shows in the area, and, maybe, if there was one scheduled for today.

Turns out there was! -- a small show, but very cool.

In the end, I spent more than I should have, but it was a great way to pass the time, and I managed to take home these cool goodies in the process:

• Been looking for a 9.2 or better copy of Cap 199 for a while now. This one is closer to a 9.0, but the date stamp sold me, as it always does:

cap199.jpg

• What can I say? I'm a sucker for this book in any grade...

heroforhire1.jpg

• A vintage TPB of classic early Wrightson reprints, in glorious b&w, from 1978 -- what's not to love?

wrightsonbackformore.jpg

I also grabbed a copy of the Marvel/DC "Wizard of Oz" treasury from 1975 -- it seems weird now, I know, but that whole inter-company/competitor cooperation thing was a very big deal back then. Surprised it only took me nearly 40 years (as a Marvel fan & collector) to pick one up!

The moral of this boring story?

If you're heading towards a major urban area with kids on a weekend, and the activity planned for the day has nothing to do with you (other than as the chauffeur), always Google ahead for a regional show -- you might get lucky! It also beats the drunk driving rap if you wind up at a bar all day instead... :insane:

Ooh, like that Sgt Fury

Yeah, I've bought a few copies of this "Hitler issue" but this is the nicest in terms of centering, color, condition, page quality, etc. even if CGC only gave it a 9.2 W.

Sharp 9.4's . :applause:

Thanks ! They really are. I had to look at them twice to find just enough damage to bring them down to 9.4. I suspect a press would make both of them quite a bit higher.

Every year for the past three years during February (or so), my wife and I have taken our daughter and her best friend (whose birthdays are only a few weeks apart) to the Tysons Corner Mall (just north of Washington, DC in VA) for a daytrip/shopping spree.

Back in the '90s, I regularly attended shows in northern Virginia. This year, I decided that I'd had enough of sitting on benches outside of stores favored by teenage girls, and, on a whim, went on-line before we left this morning to see if there were still any comics shows in the area, and, maybe, if there was one scheduled for today.

Turns out there was! -- a small show, but very cool.

In the end, I spent more than I should have, but it was a great way to pass the time, and I managed to take home these cool goodies in the process:

• Been looking for a 9.2 or better copy of Cap 199 for a while now. This one is closer to a 9.0, but the date stamp sold me, as it always does:

cap199.jpg

• What can I say? I'm a sucker for this book in any grade...

heroforhire1.jpg

• A vintage TPB of classic early Wrightson reprints, in glorious b&w, from 1978 -- what's not to love?

wrightsonbackformore.jpg

I also grabbed a copy of the Marvel/DC "Wizard of Oz" treasury from 1975 -- it seems weird now, I know, but that whole inter-company/competitor cooperation thing was a very big deal back then. Surprised it only took me nearly 40 years (as a Marvel fan & collector) to pick one up!

The moral of this boring story?

If you're heading towards a major urban area with kids on a weekend, and the activity planned for the day has nothing to do with you (other than as the chauffeur), always Google ahead for a regional show -- you might get lucky! It also beats the drunk driving rap if you wind up at a bar all day instead... :insane:

Great scores! April 6 date stamp :cloud9:

I've been hunting one myself, birthday and all, I actually hadn't seen one yet so it's great to know they're out there :)

Had a small score last night. Went to a local peddlers mall where I never find any good books. In one of the galas cases were 3 ziplock bags. Two of the bags had Spider-Woman books.. 5 for $10. Pass! The other ziplock had "5 comic books from 1960s for $5". I took a peek inside to find Conan #1. Sold! Not a fantastic copy but a nice VG copy. Definitely made the trip worthwhile.

Had a small score last night. Went to a local peddlers mall where I never find any good books. In one of the galas cases were 3 ziplock bags. Two of the bags had Spider-Woman books.. 5 for $10. Pass! The other ziplock had "5 comic books from 1960s for $5". I took a peek inside to find Conan #1. Sold! Not a fantastic copy but a nice VG copy. Definitely made the trip worthwhile.

worthless.gif

worthless.gif

I wasn't at home when I posted...but, these are b/c you asked so nicely. :censored:

Here is how it looked in the glass showcase:

1960sZiplock_zps7f6a1dca.jpg

Here is the Conan #1:

conan1_zps86eb3c66.jpg

Here is a Marvel Collectors' Item Classic #1 that was in there:

mcic1_zps6419099c.jpg

The other two books were a Classics Illustrated #24 & Mars Patrol #6.