• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 5.5 hammers at $14,700.

33 posts in this topic

Yikes. Cool book and all but it's getting crazy... I wonder how many actual die-hard Spidey fans are buying these books versus "investors".

Not sayin it's stupid money but the book has clearly been shanghaied by non-collectors in the purest sense...and not to be elitist but this book is being snapped up by people now outside the collective comic universe... (shrug)

which is ironic in the sense that that is what everyone hopes in some way, and yet when it occurs if you're not on the right side of it you'll have more of a slant to resent it... doh!

not to be elitist but this book is being snapped up by people now outside the collective comic universe... (shrug)

Is this just speculation on your part or do you know of real examples where non-collectors purchased an AF 15?

not to be elitist but this book is being snapped up by people now outside the collective comic universe... (shrug)

Is this just speculation on your part or do you know of real examples where non-collectors purchased an AF 15?

mere speculation on my part, but my wife worked in the stock market for 15 years and people with money veered into every tangent available with market downturns from real estate, to art, to you name it so it's there, as to the percentage I would guess small but you never know...

Tom is correct in that I've seen many investors, and not collectors, accumulating this book. I know of many doctors, and even some stock brokers, who have asked me which comics would be the best investment. Actually, when I purchased my house 5 1/2 yrs ago, I had to sell almost all of my comics to help with the down payment, and one stock investor/customer of mine purchased the whole thing. He happens to be the exception, a collector and investor.

I was outbid on 2 batman 9.8's, which were the highest adams/bat's covers of those particular books. I believe on something like those books, I was outbid by just collectors because those, as pretty as they were, were not necessarily "key" issues. Yes they were the highest in that grade, etc, but I believe that most non-collector/investors are only interested in blue chip investment copy books like AF 15 and the like. Just my opinion though.

Tom is correct in that I've seen many investors, and not collectors, accumulating this book. I know of many doctors, and even some stock brokers, who have asked me which comics would be the best investment. Actually, when I purchased my house 5 1/2 yrs ago, I had to sell almost all of my comics to help with the down payment, and one stock investor/customer of mine purchased the whole thing. He happens to be the exception, a collector and investor.

I was outbid on 2 batman 9.8's, which were the highest adams/bat's covers of those particular books. I believe on something like those books, I was outbid by just collectors because those, as pretty as they were, were not necessarily "key" issues. Yes they were the highest in that grade, etc, but I believe that most non-collector/investors are only interested in blue chip investment copy books like AF 15 and the like. Just my opinion though.

I know bankers who are buying this book, they think its part of a holy trilogy.

Action 1,Detective 27, They don`t seem to care that AF 15 came out over 20 years later than the other 2.

Action 1,Detective 27, They don`t seem to care that AF 15 came out over 20 years later than the other 2.

That's probably fair though, since the 3 biggest super hero icons to the general public are Batman, Superman and Spider Man.

That's probably fair though, since the 3 biggest super hero icons to the general public are Batman, Superman and Spider Man.

I agree wholeheartedly, Brian. One must also consider the age group of these "investors" and especially the availability factor of this "trilogy"

I'm having a bit of a rough time finding my Tec 27 and Action 1 in the market right now :grin:

Yikes. Cool book and all but it's getting crazy... I wonder how many actual die-hard Spidey fans are buying these books versus "investors".

Not sayin it's stupid money but the book has clearly been shanghaied by non-collectors in the purest sense...and not to be elitist but this book is being snapped up by people now outside the collective comic universe... (shrug)

which is ironic in the sense that that is what everyone hopes in some way, and yet when it occurs if you're not on the right side of it you'll have more of a slant to resent it... doh!

129 CGC 9.8 = $13K sounds more like a book that has clearly been shanghaied by non-collectors in the purest sense...

Nor should it, just because something is 20 years newer, doesn't make it less important. More available yes, but not less relevant.

Jim

Nor should it, just because something is 20 years newer, doesn't make it less important. More available yes, but not less relevant.

Jim

:golfclap:

Jim

Same could be said for moderns.

me thinks the gold rush is here with non collectors entering the market and driving prices through the roof. :o i'd say it's time to sell, i don't see these prices sustaining through 2009. history will repeat and the market will correct. hm