• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So... SCS or not ?

37 posts in this topic

Not SCS. It's bent all the way to the corner of the book. There's nothing in the slab that can physically touch the book there because it's cut out on the top of the corner.

I disagree. It looks like a classic case of SCS.

Jim

I agree.

If the paper is rigid enough, pushing down on one spot may have caused the entire section to crumple. There doesn't necessary have to be pressure directly on the spine corner for it to collapse there.

I too agree that overhang damage like this book displays is possible, or even made more severe from SCS, but normally the closer you get to the upper spine corner(unless it is split) the bent overhang is likely to be less severe because the folded corner is more rigid.

That, and I called on the grader notes and they mentioned 2 things, edge wear, and top edge bent overhang.

:o

Damn cheater. What are we going to speculate on and theorize about now?

:sorry:

:whistle:

The sexual preferences of DrWatson? Other than IHOP waitresses who may or may not be above the threshold of imprisonment?

hm

Let the speculating begin.

Kenny, if you call Watson and spoil this one, we're gona have to have a talk. :sumo:

This book is sorely in need of a (drumroll, please)...

FRENCH PRESS!

Or just have monsieur Creosote sit on it

002_1093036638.jpg

(shrug)

But then the book would be, "Waffer Thin"

:eek:

With God as my witness, I knew you were going to say that. You need some serious psychotherapy, my deranged friend. lol

So *I* need therapy because *I* said what *you* were thinking? :screwy:

This book is sorely in need of a (drumroll, please)...

FRENCH PRESS!

Or just have monsieur Creosote sit on it

002_1093036638.jpg

(shrug)

But then the book would be, "Waffer Thin"

:eek:

I'll have the lot. hm

Better get a bucket. I'm gonna throw up. :sick:

With God as my witness, I knew you were going to say that. You need some serious psychotherapy, my deranged friend. lol

Everything's always about you, isn't it? meh

Don't pick on me. Remember I am trying to be the kinder, gentler, Dice. :sorry:

You've already ed your tall hat on that one, buddy. :baiting:

You've already ed your tall hat on that one, buddy. :baiting:

I'm on the 12 step program. :sumo:

That, and I called on the grader notes and they mentioned 2 things, edge wear, and top edge bent overhang.

9.4 is not what it used to be :o

It's entirely possible a slightly bent overhang was crunched much further by an impact. Kinda hard to believe a bend that severe would be allowable on a 9.4.

9.4 is not what it used to be :o

It's entirely possible a slightly bent overhang was crunched much further by an impact. Kinda hard to believe a bend that severe would be allowable on a 9.4.

Hey Steve, I think that is what probably happened, the bent edge that came in contact with the innerwell was made worse. But what interests me is what people perceive to be allowable in grade by CGC.

I am not sure who this seller is, but his reply to my inquery seemed sincere and upfront, and makes me wonder if he is basing what is allowable in 9.4 on other books that have similar top edge overhang SCS. Or if CGC really does not downgrade for bent overhang as much as you or I would.

His response Hi....thanks for your interest...this is exactly how I received the book & I'm sure this is the way it was graded...its not damage as such just a small area of overhang.For some reason CGC do not see this as a defect until you get into 9.6 & beyond....I've got a CGC 9.4 copy of FF 64 where the overhang extends the whole way across the top of the book.The back cover of the DD shows no sign of this.If you could please send me your email address I will send you a scan of the back cover corner & also the FF 64 so you can compare.

Regards,

Steve

To top it off it, these are pressable types of defects that CGC is thought to hammer for. So I wonder which is more the case, CGC allowing bent overhang up to 9.4, or there are a lot of slabs out there with books in them that are no longer what they were when they were graded.

Anybody?

(shrug)