• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

241 posts in this topic

I'm afraid I can't argue with the curmudgeonly one about that. "'40s or the '50s at least"? I guess the seller could always check the indicia and ( as long as she can read) work it out. It wouldn't take that long. And didn't her father tell her anything about this not particularly large collection? Ah well, I back-pedalled there. blush.gif

Just an observation but for someone who knows nothing about comics she does a good job in the second picture of showing off alot of DC books (all of them are DC to be exact) This in itself doesn't imply anything but it makes a possible DC collector looking for burried treasure think harder....common scammer move.

Eric

Q.E.D. Case closed.

quod erad demonstrandum?

you have proved absolutely nothing.

although some contributors to this thread have provided compelling reasons as to why we should doubt the legitimacy of this auction, you, however have done nothing but express unrepenting_cynicism. 893blahblah.gif

i don't view it as mere coincidence that you too are in the business of selling Vintage Comic Collections. mad.gif

this case isn't closed until you win the auction and prove there's junk.

I emailed the seller and let him know these comics could either be worth a bid, or modern junk. I told him I am ready to put in a serious bid, but ONLY if he emails a list of what's in there. If (and I don't think he will) he sends me a list, I'll then ask him to scan a couple random comics. That should say a lot. Personally, I don't trust the auction as it sits, but there is always a chance it could be legitimate. I'll let you guys know what happens. I would have to highly suspent it's a scan, if he refuses my request.

This auction is worth seeing through. grin.gif

I'd be willing to bet offdhookracing will snipe this auction. He has numerous bids in to try to keep up with the others. And speaking of the others, surely they aren't ALL insufficiently_thoughtful_persons for bidding on this lot. They either see something or know something (or are hoping to GET something)to get the bid as high as it is.

JMHO

I've seen obvious scams hit outrageous levels (anyone remember thegreenhulk?), and it all comes down to self-deception. Some people will choose to believe this is their "EBay Pot of Gold" no matter the evidence to the contrary.

In the case of thegreenhulk, this guy was scamming to the nth degree, and even when board members emailed bidders to warn them, the responses were irate and these saps believed that Ricky and Co. were trying to "steal these super deals for themselves".

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

And just in case anyone needs a refresher course:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=thegreenhulk

I emailed her about an hour ago, asking three questions

how many issues of Brave and bold there were,what percentage of books were cover price less than25 cents and did any have the MVS removed.

She just replied-OUT2LUVJESUS sent a paste up-books have been packed awaiting shipment so I cant tell you how many Brave and bolds.There are alot of 25-20-15-10 cent books,I don't know what you are talking about(MVSs)?

He/She they are home answering emails as we speak so ask them.

I've found the MVS question throws some scammers. They claim t know nothing about comics but assure me all te MVSs are in place.

Hmmmm I think eccomics is more upset at the fact that they copied his style of picture taking with the pop up comics out of the long boxes to show the real good teasers comics of whats in there but not all of it..... 27_laughing.giftongue.gif Unfortunately the comics they showed are only ehhhh books.

Hmmmmmmm. The answers given don't really add up to much, except that the seller is aware of cover prices (10,12,15,20,25 cents etc.) but not MVSs. Seemed a bit evasive - all the comics were being packed before the auction ended, which is dubious. Either way perhaps the seller's only crime is being lazy and not compiling a definitive list, which would have taken a couple of hours at the most. It's not as if the seller had any plans to grade any of the books, either.

Nice point about self-deception amongst ebay hunter-gatherers. Despite every warning to the contrary, these buyers are convinced that their dreams have come true. And this is a case in point. A handful of half-decent books, none of them graded. No list. No evidence of '40s or '50s books. No questions satisfactorily answered. Regardless of the integrity of this seller, there just isn't enough to go on here to ever make me pull the trigger.

And as a dealer who's seen many a collection where the books are all supposedly NM and pre-1965, only to arrive and discover that the seller can't grade at all and has one or two Silver items in total, let's just say I've been there and I've done that. But at least in those situations I could just walk away........................

I wrote last night asking for more photos of the 10-cent comics.

He/shesaid they had no more photos.

that was the whole answer.

I guess with $2000-plus in the bank, they're not terribly interested in courting any new bidders...especially us skeptical ones.

Of course everyone calls me cynical due to my skepticism. This auction stunk from day one. I smelled a rat from the first moment it was posted and this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I sell many Vintage Collections on Ebay. Lets face the music.... this person is hardly a competitor, just a clever scammer!!

That picture is real and some cool books exist somewhere.

Anyone see this picture before? They had to steal the picture from somewhere. And if this is legit?? what an instant awesome collection based on samples.