• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

241 posts in this topic

Ultimately you never know whether anything has ever sold on e-bay unless you were involved in the sale, so everyone here will believe what they choose. I can't really see any motive at this point for faking unless the buyer and/or seller read this thread and felt self-conscious or something.

Plus, the absolutely unbridled enthusiasm of the buyer....he's in super-selling mode already.....

It's odd that the folks here who tried to email the seller for additional info got nada, while this guy seems to have known something all the other bidders didn't.

"If Chewbaka is a Wookie, then why is he living on Endor?...It just DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!"

The only way I would have bid would have been if I had gone there before the auction ended and seen the books. However, after seeing all the forum members who don't seem to mind shilling, I have to assume there are a lot of people who might also just bid knowing they could go there, check the books out, and decline payment if they weren't worth the final price.

The main thing I asked the guy in my follow-up was what "big money" books he got

They both use ALL CAPS in their auction listings which doesn't really mean anything more than add to my suspicion. He's a pilot which gives him accesss to the kind of money needed to purchase these. Bottom line: I would NEVER have bid $15,000 on some sight unseen comics from a 0 feedback seller. Simply too risky.

He responded to my follow-up by simply giving me his phone number and suggesting I call him.

Anybody got any questions they want answered? I might call later tonight...may as well use the free long distance and free weekend and evening minutes on my cellphone for something useful. smile.gif

He responded to my follow-up by simply giving me his phone number and suggesting I call him.

Anybody got any questions they want answered? I might call later tonight...may as well use the free long distance and free weekend and evening minutes on my cellphone for something useful. smile.gif

How about asking him what type of medication he is on. devil.gif

Ultimately you never know whether anything has ever sold on e-bay unless you were involved in the sale, so everyone here will believe what they choose. I can't really see any motive at this point for faking unless the buyer and/or seller read this thread and felt self-conscious or something.

Well, is it necessary to understand the motive of a killer if you have all the other evidence lined up? It would be nice to know the motive, sure, but in this case it seems like the circumstantial evidence is piled pretty high.

I still think the buyer and seller are in cahoots (can never use that word enough!), and that at some point they decided that they weren't going to get enough $ out of the initial scam, so instead they do a fairly high-profile buy and then the buyer turns around and sells of $xx,000 in books from the "collection" in one fell swoop. Prospective buyers who "do their homework" on those individual lots will find the "lump auction" as "evidence" that the seller actually has books to sell.

The part that's not going to make sense is this: when the buyer says "oh, there's an ASM 3 in pristine shape, and a Hulk 1 in VF, and a..." why didn't the seller show those in his/her pic in the original auction? If in fact there were some significant books in the collection, they'd certainly jump out at you more than a beat-up TOS 68...

FF: Can you ask the buyer

- whether he actually checked out the collection, in person or via additional scans, prior to bidding? If the answer is 'no,' then it would be interesting to know what it was that he saw in the auction pics that motivated him to bid so high...

- if he would be willing to take a few pics of himself with the "best finds" in the collection? I realize these might be books already in his collection, but ANY evidence that the buyer owns some serious books would be interesting, whether he got them from this auction or already had them.

This is the most strange auction I've seen followed on these borads since I've been here.

I wonder what's really going on. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, is it necessary to understand the motive of a killer if you have all the other evidence lined up? It would be nice to know the motive, sure, but in this case it seems like the circumstantial evidence is piled pretty high.

Since you're comparing this to a court proceeding...then yes, motive is not only necessary, it's probably not even enough due to the fact that there's reasonable doubt. You don't see any reasonable doubt here?

why didn't the seller show those in his/her pic in the original auction? If in fact there were some significant books in the collection, they'd certainly jump out at you more than a beat-up TOS 68...

The seller claimed she knew nothing about comics. How's she gonna know a Tales of Suspense 68 from a Tales of Suspense 39? Not that I think there's anything like a TOS 39 in there.

FF: Can you ask the buyer

- whether he actually checked out the collection, in person or via additional scans, prior to bidding? If the answer is 'no,' then it would be interesting to know what it was that he saw in the auction pics that motivated him to bid so high...

Will do

- if he would be willing to take a few pics of himself with the "best finds" in the collection? I realize these might be books already in his collection, but ANY evidence that the buyer owns some serious books would be interesting, whether he got them from this auction or already had them.

I think the conversation would probably end abruptly if I made such a request. If I called you at home and asked you to take a picture of yourself to prove you won a particular auction on E-Bay, you'd think I was nosy and nuts. It might sound reasonable after we've been debating about it for days, but I think it would surprise and possibly anger him.

I'm still not sure whether I'm gonna call him tonight, or link him to this thread first and then call him later.

I think the conversation would probably end abruptly if I made such a request. If I called you at home and asked you to take a picture of yourself to prove you won a particular auction on E-Bay, you'd think I was nosy and nuts. It might sound reasonable after we've been debating about it for days, but I think it would surprise and possibly anger him.

I'm still not sure whether I'm gonna call him tonight, or link him to this thread first and then call him later.

I think if he's going to get angry to be asked to be photographed, he's certainly going to get angry if you send him a link to 10 pages of posts querying his sanity and integrity.

I think if he's going to get angry to be asked to be photographed, he's certainly going to get angry if you send him a link to 10 pages of posts querying his sanity and integrity.

It's definitely possible! devil.gif However, none of us know the guy--nor do we really know what went on between he and the seller--so he really shouldn't take it that way since we're all just guessing. But you're right, he might get really self-conscious and defensive.

Think this post will help soften the blow a little if I did direct him to read all this? laugh.gif