• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

6.5 E(P) Detective 27 at ComicConnect?

30 posts in this topic

I believe we were offered this book in the sub $40K range earlier this year and passed...it was on ebay for $43K ish also with no takers...

this is the same copy that sold at heritage last year, the unslabbed restored and trimmed vg with the hole through the book (check the archives)... buyer paid like $36K for it, and then had the resto done to fix the hole, etc...

I would have bought it, but i HATE trimming, so passed...

I'm seriously considering making an offer on this book. The trimming makes me gag, but it doesn't greatly impact the book's appearance. I just don't know if/when I'll be able to find another copy as presentable as this without spending well over 50k. The book would be for my collection, not to sell. What do you guys who regularly deal high end GA material think?

I hate trimming but I take it this is your ultimate grail? You probably can afford to be patient and try and negotiate a deal now that Rick has given you some background on it. If you can get a deal I say go for it because low grade unrestored copies will continue to command a fortune and will sell quickly (probably privately).

for me, trimming is the Biggest No-No. If you ever hope to sell it, your potential buyer pool will be greatly reduced because of the trimming. Couple that with the price tag equal to a real nice car and I would say pass. Even at $25k, I would say too high. At $2k, yes.

Trimming and brittle pages---might be the top two no nos for most collectors...It's a great Grail to own, but might be tough to move in the future with trimming resto...
I agree...I actually dislike brittle more...

Trimming and brittle pages---might be the top two no nos for most collectors...It's a great Grail to own, but might be tough to move in the future with trimming resto...
I agree...I actually dislike brittle more...

I agree - the pool of buyers will be drastically reduced and hence it would be a difficult resale.

But if the price is right and you don't think you will ever go for a $50k+ book then you need to consider the purchase against what else you might want to buy with that cash - eg a decent unrestored Bat #1?

The book is back again on comicconnect.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=290485&enlarge=2

Ironically the item description says: "Professional Restoration Expert Matt Nelson is the man behind this beautiful copy of the 1st appearance of Batman. Supple pages, a great looking book at $47,000-what more do you need to know." without mention of the holes that used to be on each page of the book.

The book is back again on comicconnect.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=290485&enlarge=2

Ironically the item description says: "Professional Restoration Expert Matt Nelson is the man behind this beautiful copy of the 1st appearance of Batman. Supple pages, a great looking book at $47,000-what more do you need to know." without mention of the holes that used to be on each page of the book.

(thumbs u

Hard to imagine someone having the balls to put up a $47,000 book and not even be bothered to include a back cover scan.

Mike

probably someone that doesn't care if it sells or not (shrug)