• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a good collection for an 11-year-old?

41 posts in this topic

When my nephew started reading, I couldn't wait to get him started on Edgar Rice Burroughs books. I'm eager to buy him a few of the Barsoom books, but I don't think he's quite ready for them yet (probably next Christmas).

So what I'd like to do is get him interested in comics. He already reads Star Wars comics from time to time, but I want to expand his reading material by showing him some other really great comics. Are there any must read comics for a young boy? I know that theoretically any comic would fit the bill, but I want something that will spark his interest and keep him reading for years to come.

Any recommendations?

Hey there!!

My ten year old son, despite my urgings, hasn't taken a shine to 'new' comics, but he does like the occasional Sgt. Rock beater from my throwaway box.

But he gets the Scholastic Book order thing at school, and we ordered him the entire BONE series... all 8 books. And he LOVED it... absolutely devoured it. So that might be a good choice.

Shep

I agree with Bone. Also think Transformers could be a hit. My son is a little younger (}just turned 9). He loves a "Marvel Monsters" compilation I got him. It was one of those soft cover deals sold at Target and Wal-Mart in their books section. Marvel Adventures stories are also very good.

Hmmm, Bone. You know, maybe I can read that with him. I've always wanted to read it, and maybe he'd get into the idea of his cool uncle reading the same book he is. (That's assuming he considers me the cool uncle, of course.)

Do you recommend the colorized versions? I'm not sure if he'd get turned off by the black-n-white originals.

I've been reading Zot! recently and I think a 11-year old would dig that!

Also, there's always some of the European classics: Asterix and Tintin. I wouldn't go with Asterix, too European-centric but Tintin is very fun with its adventure / mystery mix and very accessible. I would look at The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure as a starting point. It's a longer story that still works (i.e., not too much outdated technology involved) or The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun, another longer story.

I was collecting quite heavily at the age of 11. When I turned 12 I put together a run of FF from issue 84 to whatever was current at that time. Great read. What's great about FF is the family dynamic. (thumbs u

Yeah, don't overlook the obvious in Marvels. I was really into Spidey and the X-Men at that age. Could try getting a run of MTU or Classic X-Men on the cheap even. Or PPSM.

-Rob-

Hmmm, Bone. You know, maybe I can read that with him. I've always wanted to read it, and maybe he'd get into the idea of his cool uncle reading the same book he is. (That's assuming he considers me the cool uncle, of course.)

Do you recommend the colorized versions? I'm not sure if he'd get turned off by the black-n-white originals.

black and white

My nephew is more into technology. He loves video games. He reads, just not like I did as a boy. I've taken him to the comic shop twice now, and the first time he wasn't too interested. The second time he was more eager. I'm hoping that if i do this right, that eagerness will continue to grow.

I'm liking the Bone idea, but I'll probably try a collection of Spidey or X-Men or FF, too.