• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best way to insure a $5000 shipment of comics?

29 posts in this topic

I plan to send a valuable batch of comics to CGC soon and was wondering what is the best way to insure such valuable shipments?

I know the post office, Fedex and UPS all sell insurance, but if you read the fine print on their contracts, they do not cover "collectables" even though they will gladly sell you insurance you have no hope of ever collecting on.

I have been using a third party insurance company in the past who does insure collectables but they have a $1000 limit per shipment.

So where can I buy $5,000 to $10,000 of coverage for high value shipments made by UPS or Fedex?

For 5k-10k, Ill take a day or two off, pick them up from your front door, deliver them to CGC. After they are graded, Ill even take another day off and pick them up, show them the town and deliver them to your front door.

Board love, its a great thing.

On a serious note, thats interesting that they offer shipping ins but wont let you collect since its a collectible. Learn something new every day. Thanks.

I plan to send a valuable batch of comics to CGC soon and was wondering what is the best way to insure such valuable shipments?

I know the post office, Fedex and UPS all sell insurance, but if you read the fine print on their contracts, they do not cover "collectables" even though they will gladly sell you insurance you have no hope of ever collecting on.

I have been using a third party insurance company in the past who does insure collectables but they have a $1000 limit per shipment.

So where can I buy $5,000 to $10,000 of coverage for high value shipments made by UPS or Fedex?

It's a myth that USPS doesn't cover "collectables" under their insurance - they do, up to $5,000 (non-registered mail) or $25,000 (registered mail).

Check with the private insurance company you are using.

Often, you may purchase a seperate insurance rider. It isn't very expensive or time consuming to set up.

They may want you to use a certain carrier or ship via a specific method so I'd look into that as well.

10k worth off books, I would be on my way to Florida to drop them off in person and catch some rays while over there :banana:
our high today (north fl) is only in the mid 50's.... more like catch a cold lol

10k worth off books, I would be on my way to Florida to drop them off in person and catch some rays while over there :banana:
our high today (north fl) is only in the mid 50's.... more like catch a cold lol

Hell, 50 degrees is like Indian summer up here :cloud9:

Central Fl is 73 and partly sunny

USPS registered mail, fully insured

Even on collectables?

And do they have a maximum dollar amount?

$25,000

You can buy more but have to pay Lloyds of London's rates.

Yeah, doncha love it when the Floridians complain about 50 degree weather? lol