• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo inside Cherokee Book Shop 1965!!!

55 posts in this topic

Who is the dude on the left reading the comic? David T. Alexander? :juggle:

That would be Rick Durell..... a very active collector at the time who ran a Service Station in the area ...... amassed a legendary collection, now deceased. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Is that a tec 27 on the table??

:gossip: And an Action 1, Cap 1, Whiz 2, Superman 1......

I think Cherokee book store was the book store that had the comics upstairs.

I used to go there when i was a kid in the 70`s but they were too pricey for me so i would go to bonds street books across the street and dig through tons of twenty five cent (maybe less)boxes.

There were i think atleast three book stores that had comic sections on hollywood blvd.back then, another one was Pickwick books.

I think the book store in "the howling" was cherokee books down stairs area.

I know it was one of the bookshops i went to on hollywood.

That is a VERY COOL picture...I don't recall ever being aware of it and I lived in the South Bay (Torrance/Redondo Beach) at the time...we did make forays to the book stores on Hollywood Blvd though circa 1974-76 or so...really takes me back...had the foresight to at least know that I wanted a collection I would keep but didn't have the foresight to nab up the ones that would turn into 6-figure books...I was more like kingofwhales looking for 20 books for $20 dollars rather than drop $20 dollars on a single book, like ASM #1 for example which couldof been had in spades... :tonofbricks:

Wow !! You an me covered the same territory trmoore. I grew up in South Bay and frequented the stores in that area. Nick Scotto, Bob Drayer, Rudy's Comics, and Jim Sales. I was aware of Cherokee, but it was over the hill in the SF Valley..... I think. Or maybe that was the Great American Comic Book Co. ? Also, Passaic comics in NJ was famous in our circle. Soon after, Alan Lights TBG was discovered, and the whole country became "available" . Good years..... wish I had more pictures

I would love to have seen Cherokee in its heyday. Philly had a couple of cool comic shops(Comic Investments on Bustleton, and Fat Jack's in the city), but nothing beats Cherokee or Collectors Bookstore(or so I've been told).

I HAVE A 1970 COMIC COLLECTORS GUIDE FROM THE CHEROKEE BOOK SHOP IN HOLLYWOOD

THANK YOU FOR THAT UNSOLICITED EMAIL WHERE YOU TELL ME YOU HAVE A 1970 COMIC COLLECTORS GUIDE FROM THE CHEROKEE BOOK SHOP IN HOLLYWOOD FOR SALE.

THANK YOU FOR THAT UNSOLICITED EMAIL WHERE YOU TELL ME YOU HAVE A 1970 COMIC COLLECTORS GUIDE FROM THE CHEROKEE BOOK SHOP IN HOLLYWOOD FOR SALE.

I GOT THE SAME UNSOLICITED PM...TWICE...

MAYBE HE HAS THREE COPIES FOR SALE.

I DIDN'T GET THE UNSOLICITED OFFER AND FEEL LEFT OUT. :sorry:

(wanders in, scratching butt through underwear, sipping coffee)

Umm, can you keep it down until the aspirin kicks in?

Does it have to be for the collectors guide or can it be for just anything?