• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 Pence copies - bargain of the century?

38 posts in this topic

From someone who collects pence copies can we please end this thread. I don't want fellow Americans' interest peaked on the subject. (tsk)

lol

Hey, Brian! :hi:

How are things at your end at the moment? :wishluck:

Still looking for employment. My wife found a decent job though. Still need another source of encome though. The claim was filed last week.

FT makes the point perfectly. However, I guess it is just me. I equate the pence copies with the Golden Record reprints.

I know. I know. Totally different. But in my buying and collecting practices, pence copies are only slightly above the Golden Record reprints.

The question is, if given two AF #15's, equal in grade, one a pence and one a 12 cent copy, both the SAME price or really close in price, which would those in the U.K. purchase? That would be very telling.

I know what the answer is on this side of the pond.

hey beyonder -- did you ever slab that pence Unc. x-men 117 I sold you a while back?

as for the reprint issue, are we all sure that in 1962/63 the u.k. versions were coming out the same time as the U.S. versions? i know that is the case for BA books, but what about 10 years earlier? and i think there's a copyright law reason why they should have, but I'm not as sure. the canadian versions were later, no?

also, to the extent there were still u.s. army bases in the u.k. in the early 60's (I dunno when/if they left), would they have been getting pence or cent copies? just curious.

I want an AF 15 to read. Find me a 2.0ish pence copy on the cheap. :foryou:

Hey, the second I spot a pence AF #15 in certified blue 2.0 for 25% of the cents copy price... I'm buying it for ME! :grin:

I'm rather wising I'd bid a few hundred quid more on that 4.5 now :(

The question is, if given two AF #15's, equal in grade, one a pence and one a 12 cent copy, both the SAME price or really close in price, which would those in the U.K. purchase? That would be very telling.

I know what the answer is on this side of the pond.

Yeah, in this scenario, I'd personally go for the cents copy.

However, if the price differential hit a certain point, I'd be looking at the pence one very closely... hm

By the way, here's what sold the other day for £935 ($1407). You'd be lucky to get a blue label 0.5 for that price these days. Bloody bargain I tells ya :)

af15cgc45w.jpg

For about the same price.....you can get this pence HULK 1 (advertised as VF)

5622_1.JPG

By the way, here's what sold the other day for £935 ($1407). You'd be lucky to get a blue label 0.5 for that price these days. Bloody bargain I tells ya :)

af15cgc45w.jpg

For about the same price.....you can get this pence HULK 1 (advertised as VF)

5622_1.JPG

Ha! If that were certified 8.0 blue I'd pay 3 times the ask without blinking lol

Probably a restored VG.

HB,

were those for sale on Ebay US or Ebay UK, because I feel like that has something to do with this discussion. Anytime I see pence copies on Ebay US, they do pretty well. (closer to your 50% or higher margins, and not the current less than 25% ones).

HB,

were those for sale on Ebay US or Ebay UK, because I feel like that has something to do with this discussion. Anytime I see pence copies on Ebay US, they do pretty well. (closer to your 50% or higher margins, and not the current less than 25% ones).

It was on a less well known, UK based auction site which I keep an eye on for bargains ;)

Yes, I think that helped a lot, and I was low-ball bidding with a view to making a quick flip. Just overdid the low-balling a bit lol

HB,

It was on a less well known, UK based auction site which I keep an eye on for bargains ;)

Yes, I think that helped a lot, and I was low-ball bidding with a view to making a quick flip. Just overdid the low-balling a bit lol

good for buyers, bad for sellers. (thumbs u