• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you mail your comics?

17 posts in this topic

I went to the post office the other day to mail out a few comics. At my post office, I could only go "bound print matter" or regular mail. Bound print matter is supposed to be like media mail accept with media mail you can only send if there are "no advertisements" in it. Really silly rule. Like I'm gonna be able to get some of those sea monkeys for a buck from the 70's?

Anyways, I guess now, you can no longer send bound print matter. They got rid of it. I wonder how magazine companies are going to get discounted rates now?

So, my question is are there any other ways you can get a discounted rate by mailing through the post office? I'm wondering how many of you can get away with still sending media mail? Maybe I should try this at a different post office.

Your Post Office shouldn't even have offered Bound Printed Matter to you.

You should print out the Example on the USPS site that shows Media Mail as being acceptable for older comic books. That's a good example of the USPS being confused about its own regulations.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm200/retail7.htm

(Note: They spell Media Mail incorrectly on this page.)

You should print out the Example on the USPS site that shows Media Mail as being acceptable for older comic books. That's a good example of the USPS being confused about its own regulations.

It doesn't say on the post office website as "comics" directly. So, I think they could argue against this. Do you have a source?

I updated my post. Check out Scenario 3. It's flimsy... but it may sway Postal Office employees if you present it along with the Outdated Advertisements argument.

NOTE: I was charged $4.09 today Postage Due on a MEDIA MAIL package by my postal carrier. I didn't know if it contained comics or a computer part so I paid it. It turned out to contain two comics.

It doesn't say on the post office website as "comics" directly. So, I think they could argue against this. Do you have a source?

I just found this link which is useful and I will take it to my post office. If you look at the definition of media mail, it can be interpreted to not include comics. But, here is an example that the PO site uses..

I just found this link which is useful and I will take it to my post office. If you look at the definition of media mail, it can be interpreted to not include comics. But, here is an example that the PO site uses..

Cancel that this choosing a service is realted to the bound books.

I use a large Gerber box, insert my daughter to hold onto the comics so they don't get jostled around, then dump some packing peanuts in and some bubble wrap (if I'm sending the comics to a colder climate). Then the recipient sends my daughter back for me to use with my next shipment. So far it's worked like a charm (thumbs u Haven't had any damaged comics yet. Oh, I send the comics 1st Class.

Brian

PB190062.jpg

Tell them you want Book rate and see where that goes. If they look confused, ask them if there is a special rate, aka media, for maiing a dvd. If they are still confused, find another USPS.

Ed

Here's a recent thread on the subject of Media Mail. There have been many.

Send it Priority and save yourself and the recipient a lot of headaches. Packaging is free to boot.

Thanks for the link..ties in with my problems and answers them. Only way to mail now is parcel, first class or priority.

Here's a recent thread on the subject of Media Mail. There have been many.

Send it Priority and save yourself and the recipient a lot of headaches. Packaging is free to boot.

Thanks for the link..ties in with my problems and answers them. Only way to mail now is parcel, first class or priority.

I echo the previous poster. Just ship Priority. It isn't that much more expensive, once you factor in the free packaging, plus you can do it without any thought if you ship flat rate. Simple and effective.

I use a large Gerber box, insert my daughter to hold onto the comics so they don't get jostled around, then dump some packing peanuts in and some bubble wrap (if I'm sending the comics to a colder climate). Then the recipient sends my daughter back for me to use with my next shipment. So far it's worked like a charm (thumbs u Haven't had any damaged comics yet. Oh, I send the comics 1st Class.

Brian

PB190062.jpg

:signfunny:

I need to ship a package with an insurance value of $10,000. Accordingly, I wish to ship via Registered Mail. The post office insists that I utilize a special kind of ridged tape that is applied with water. Does anyone know where I can find this kind of ridged brown tape? I have searched everywhere!!