• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Personal Comic Book Timeline

85 posts in this topic

1988-1990...completed the entire Marvel and DC silverage super hero's (that's right, every issue)

1990-introduced to golden age by buying an OO Action 1 for $18K (took a year to pay for it)

1991- bought same OO Action 2-14 (another year to pay)

1992-1995...completed action 1-100 and Batman 1-100 and various other books, mutiple SA keys, etc

1995....sold EVERYTHING (just about) to expand my business

1995-2005....worked on our business, no major comic purchases

2005-current...buying like a madman lol

88-90. !!!!!

95- !!!!!

any regrets, Rick or was it worth it? I assume the buisness is rocking and rolling. I need to PM you about an action figure, actually. See if I can get a Robotech Cyclone from you.

Okay, here's an addendum:

Age 15: now that Conan is contraband, I'm as addicted to it as ever. I find a copy of #100 at a comic book store in London, Ontario. To sneak it home, I keep it literally bootlegged, rolled against my shin in my sock, all the way from Canada to Alabama, in a polybag. Conan himself would have been proud.

Ages 13-15: D&D games with best friends, Allen and Denis. This trio would later be documented in the show "Freaks and Geeks," which I am 100% convinced was based on us.

Age 16: Denis and I mow lawns to raise money to buy Daredevil #1 fn.

Age 18: Denis is killed by a drunk driver. Daredevil #1 becomes my most valuable book, in a way no Overstreet can ever measure.

Age 29: birth of first son.

Age 35: First trip to LCS with son. He's hooked.

Age 35: track down Allen after 16 years, finding him working for Amazon in Seattle. He remembers every detail of our friendship since 2nd grade. We finally openly grieve Denis together.

Age 37: The legacy of Allen, Denis and I lives on, ready to pass to my younger generation.

On contraband- Mom found my Cerebus 110 and Clint the Radioactive Hamster comics and confiscated them. Glad she didn't find the Alien Worlds PC books or the independent B&W ones!!!

great addendum, SH. legacy indeed.

Edited by noljoner

Boy did this turn into a book. Hope nobody minds my reflecting. Starting out with the date thing brought back so many memories. Its been quite a road.

1959 - Born Eugene Oregon

1964 - Move to sleepy beach town in So. Cal called Redondo

1965 - 69 - Discover TV shows like Combat, Man From Uncle and Addams Family. Begin making my way through grade school. Some school kids have Batman cards. They are cool. Dad begins buying me a comic or two when he goes to get beer and cigs. Turok, Donald Duck, Aliens, Tarzan.....all Gold Key titles. Comics are 12 cents. One day brings Jules Feiffers The Great Comic Book Heroes home from library for me. Batman story is awesome. Joker is evil but cool. All stories are great but I love Plastic Man most and realize comics are old......AND COOL ! The seed is planted.

1970 - 72 - Begin going to liquor store with my friend Jack to get our own comics. We have a 3 store circuit cuz there are no "Comic Book Stores" yet....and no store has all the issues. We split our money between comics, pop, and paks of Odd Rod stickers that have pink slab of petrified gum inside. Love DC. Love war comics. Love seeing ads for other DC comics in my issues. Buy 50 cent 100 page DC book #6 World Greatest Super Heroes. See notes that say "Originally appeared in....." on first page of stories and learn about something called reprints. See the listings for First appearances of all DC Heroes. The seed just got doused with Miracle Grow. I want them. Marvel does not exist.

1973 - The BIG year. Discover some back issue stores like Rudy's Books and Comic Vendor. Discover Marvel. Buy my first Overstreet Price Guide. Order a Marvel Value Stamp Book and try to fill it. Score an ASM #1 for $20. Score an AF #15 with a ripped cover for around $3. Begin buying everything I can get my hands on. Buy Marvel Mystery's # 51 , #58 and #64 for around $12 each.

1974 -77 - Continue building collection by trading away nice books to get other nice books. What was I thinking? :o Teenagers idea of "nice" is so subjective. Play sports meet girl. Sell collection get first car, a '72 Monte Carlo. Sweet. Graduate high school. Go to my first San Diego Comic Con after seeing ad in The Buyers Guide. Lets hear a cheer for Shel Dorf !!! Have comic fever to the max. Stay at El Cortez Hotel for four days with Jack and Steve. Drive home to Redondo and back, to get my $64 check so I can buy more comics.....oh, and eat.

1978 - 79 - Break up with girl friend. Discover smoking reefer. Think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is. Build beautiful GA collection. Form garage band. Name band after panel in Mickey Mouse Four Color #268. Story is of jungle native who visits Mickey. Band name is "Budem Gly" We rock. Have connections. Record in studio. Who needs sliced bread anyways?

1980 - Love my rebuilt comic collection. Its almost all golden age books. I stare at it alot. I love Mylar. Love smokin reefer. Love jammin in the garage with drummer and guitar player. Love everything.....except myself. I'm really quite unhappy. Don't know why. I hear the voice of Jesus speak to me. Its not the reefer. He is very kind towards me. I need what He has. Tells me to follow Him.

I quit the band. Six months later I take my entire GA comic collection to Hi De Ho comics in Santa Monica and ask if they want to buy. Guys eyes pop out. Takes me in back room. Writes me out a check for $900. I feel extremely light and happy on way to bank.

1981-1984 - Buy a Four Color #159 VF off a friend. Its my only comic. Go to San Diego again in '79 , '81 and '83. At the 1983 con I trade my Ghost of the Grotto + $50 for a Barks litho. Its called an Embarrassment of Riches. Its beautiful. I still have it to this day. Probably cuz its not a comic. Get married in '84

1985- 1988 - Get a driving job with a comic book distributor. Job is to put new comics in stores and take out old comics. Its great to work with comics. Start once again building a comic collection. Working in a comic warehouse makes it easy to score hot new issue books. Start buying up silver age DC. Marriage breaks up late '88.

1988 - I'm broke and divorced. I take whatever I can fit in my car and drive to Oregon. Comic collection gets prime spot on back seat. I sell comics along the way to get $$ for food and gas. Yea, it was probably my lowest point. Pull into Eugene a few days later. Take rebuilt comic collection to comic store and sell all. Get enough $$$ to help me get settled and get a job.

1989 - Let roots grow.

1990 - Meet woman. She likes comics and Tolkien and Jesus and me. Get married......again. :wishluck:

1990 - '99 - Slowly build yet another collection. Nice bunch of DC war (Sgt. Rock, SSWS Dinosaur issues and assorted silver ) Meet man about my age at comic shop. He is from Houston. Have same taste in comics. He knows our very own Mr. Bedrock. We become friends. He has collection of 600 books many of which he bought new off the racks. High grade silver. He inspires me. His story is so different than mine. I raise 4 kids. I discover ebay. I sell collection once again and buy house.

2000- 2006 - Go to San Diego Con a couple times with wife and even the kids one year. Finish raising kids.

2007 - Kids gone. Job secure. Wife and I going on 18. Future looks bright. Have some close friends. Some good friends. Began brewing my own beer. Started collecting comics once again. I think, if God is willing, this last and best collection is the one that I will leave to my children. I'm not driven. I have peace. Jesus has been good to me. I think Plastic Man is a fitting choice and goal for this time in my life. A Police comics run is my foundation. I know there will be many other books I will see and want, but there is no hurry. Its a hobby. Havn't smoked reefer in.......well, along time. But you never know..... :grin:

2008- Discovered Collectors Society forums. Am making some new friends. I like it here :hi:

Edited by Senormac

Boy did this turn into a book. Hope nobody minds my reflecting. Starting out with the date thing brought back so many memories. Its been quite a road.

1959 - Born Eugene Oregon

1964 - Move to sleepy beach town in So. Cal called Redondo

1965 - 69 - Discover TV shows like Combat, Man From Uncle and Addams Family. Begin making my way through grade school. Some school kids have Batman cards. They are cool. Dad begins buying me a comic or two when he goes to get beer and cigs. Turok, Donald Duck, Aliens, Tarzan.....all Gold Key titles. Comics are 12 cents. One day brings Jules Feiffers The Great Comic Book Heroes home from library for me. Batman story is awesome. Joker is evil but cool. All stories are great but I love Plastic Man most and realize comics are old......AND COOL ! The seed is planted.

1970 - 72 - Begin going to liquor store with my friend Jack to get our own comics. We have a 3 store circuit cuz there are no "Comic Book Stores" yet....and no store has all the issues. We split our money between comics, pop, and paks of Odd Rod stickers that have pink slab of petrified gum inside. Love DC. Love war comics. Love seeing ads for other DC comics in my issues. Buy 50 cent 100 page DC book #6 World Greatest Super Heroes. See notes that say "Originally appeared in....." on first page of stories and learn about something called reprints. See the listings for First appearances of all DC Heroes. The seed just got doused with Miracle Grow. I want them. Marvel does not exist.

1973 - The BIG year. Discover some back issue stores like Rudy's Books and Comic Vendor. Discover Marvel. Buy my first Overstreet Price Guide. Order a Marvel Value Stamp Book and try to fill it. Score an ASM #1 for $20. Score an AF #15 with a ripped cover for around $3. Begin buying everything I can get my hands on. Buy Marvel Mystery's # 51 , #58 and #64 for around $12 each.

1974 -77 - Continue building collection by trading away nice books to get other nice books. What was I thinking? :o Teenagers idea of "nice" is so subjective. Play sports meet girl. Sell collection get first car, a '72 Monte Carlo. Sweet. Graduate high school. Go to my first San Diego Comic Con after seeing ad in The Buyers Guide. Lets hear a cheer for Shel Dorf !!! Have comic fever to the max. Stay at El Cortez Hotel for four days with Jack and Steve. Drive home to Redondo and back, to get my $64 check so I can buy more comics.....oh, and eat.

1978 - 79 - Break up with girl friend. Discover smoking reefer. Think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is. Build beautiful GA collection. Form garage band. Name band after panel in Mickey Mouse Four Color #268. Story is of jungle native who visits Mickey. Band name is "Budem Gly" We rock. Have connections. Record in studio. Who needs sliced bread anyways?

1980 - Love my rebuilt comic collection. Its almost all golden age books. I stare at it alot. I love Mylar. Love smokin reefer. Love jammin in the garage with drummer and guitar player. Love everything.....except myself. I'm really quite unhappy. Don't know why. I hear the voice of Jesus speak to me. Its not the reefer. He is very kind towards me. I need what He has. Tells me to follow Him.

I quit the band. Six months later I take my entire GA comic collection to Hi De Ho comics in Santa Monica and ask if they want to buy. Guys eyes pop out. Takes me in back room. Writes me out a check for $900. I feel extremely light and happy on way to bank.

1981-1984 - Buy a Four Color #159 VF off a friend. Its my only comic. Go to San Diego again in '79 , '81 and '83. At the 1983 con I trade my Ghost of the Grotto + $50 for a Barks litho. Its called an Embarrassment of Riches. Its beautiful. I still have it to this day. Probably cuz its not a comic. Get married in '84

1985- 1988 - Get a driving job with a comic book distributor. Job is to put new comics in stores and take out old comics. Its great to work with comics. Start once again building a comic collection. Working in a comic warehouse makes it easy to score hot new issue books. Start buying up silver age DC. Marriage breaks up late '88.

1988 - I'm broke and divorced. I take whatever I can fit in my car and drive to Oregon. Comic collection gets prime spot on back seat. I sell comics along the way to get $$ for food and gas. Yea, it was probably my lowest point. Pull into Eugene a few days later. Take rebuilt comic collection to comic store and sell all. Get enough $$$ to help me get settled and get a job.

1989 - Let roots grow.

1990 - Meet woman. She likes comics and Tolkien and Jesus and me. Get married......again. :wishluck:

1990 - '99 - Slowly build yet another collection. Nice bunch of DC war (Sgt. Rock, SSWS Dinosaur issues and assorted silver ) Meet man about my age at comic shop. He is from Houston. Have same taste in comics. He knows our very own Mr. Bedrock. We become friends. He has collection of 600 books many of which he bought new off the racks. High grade silver. He inspires me. His story is so different than mine. I raise 4 kids. I discover ebay. I sell collection once again and buy house.

2000- 2006 - Go to San Diego Con a couple times with wife and even the kids one year. Finish raising kids.

2007 - Kids gone. Job secure. Wife and I going on 18. Future looks bright. Have some close friends. Some good friends. Began brewing my own beer. Started collecting comics once again. I think this will be the largest and best collection I've ever found. I'm not driven. I have peace. Jesus has been good to me. I think Plastic Man is a fitting choice and goal for this time in my life. A Police comics run is my foundation. I know there will be many other books I will see and want, but there is no hurry. Its a hobby. Havn't smoked reefer in.......well, along time. But you never know..... :grin:

2008- Discovered Collectors Society forums. Am making some new friends. I like it here :hi:

Wow, a ton of info here. Feel like I know you. It's funny how every time your life hit a rough spot selling your comics raised enough money to start again. As great as that is, try not to sell any more.

We split our money between comics, pop, and paks of Odd Rod stickers that have pink slab of petrified gum inside.- Discovered Collectors Society forums. Am making some new friends. I like it here :hi:

Me and my buddy Matthew Zetts loved Odd Rod packages back in the day.The grail in our neighborhood was the one that was titled "So What ?" and featured a fat naked guy fixing his hot rod.I actually got a spanking over leaving the neighborhood on an Odd Rod mission.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

We split our money between comics, pop, and paks of Odd Rod stickers that have pink slab of petrified gum inside.- Discovered Collectors Society forums. Am making some new friends. I like it here :hi:

Me and my buddy Matthew Zetts loved Odd Rod packages back in the day.The grail in our neighborhood was the one that was titled "So What ?" and featured a fat naked guy fixing his hot rod.I actually got a spanking over leaving the neighborhood on an Odd Rod mission.GOD BLESS...

"So What" is also the title of a pretty sweet Joe Walsh album from 1974. :cloud9:

"So What" is also the title of a pretty sweet Joe Walsh album from 1974. :cloud9:

Judy and I are listening to Neil Young right now....but Joe Walsh is also a favorite.70's music always makes me think of DC 100 page spectaculars,Wrightson Swamp Thing's, and 7-11 Slurpees.Music and comics are a good fit.GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

Good reading right there Senormac :applause:

And you're correct, Plas is tops! (thumbs u

Thanks Scrooge. Plas is one of the only comics I've read that actually makes me laugh !! lol

Wow, a ton of info here. Feel like I know you. It's funny how every time your life hit a rough spot selling your comics raised enough money to start again. As great as that is, try not to sell any more.

It is good to be known Torch (thumbs u

I plan on building on this one for the duration

1990 - comics and Tolkien and Jesus

can we be best friends?

<3

Heres to Odd Rods jimjum and your grail !!!

sowhat.jpg

And the whole set of Odd Rods cards can be viewed too.

Age 13 - Hopelessly hooked on comics' ability to outrage my mother.

:applause:

agree. that was great.

also, really enjoyed reading your story, PN.

Thanks noljoner (thumbs u

Me too. Though I'm waiting for the Hollywood ending where the collector gives up GGA and focuses exclusively on Spawn. :wishluck:

Good reading right there Senormac :applause:

And you're correct, Plas is tops! (thumbs u

Thanks Scrooge. Plas is one of the only comics I've read that actually makes me laugh !! lol

It is good to be known Torch (thumbs u

I plan on building on this one for the duration

1990 - comics and Tolkien and Jesus

can we be best friends?

<3

Heres to Odd Rods jimjum and your grail !!!

sowhat.jpg

And the whole set of Odd Rods cards can be viewed too.

YOU DA MAN !!! What 8 year old wouldn't love that. This made me remember talking Mom into buying me a comics digest at a convenience store back then.Only problem...she didn't realize it was men's cartoons until she heard me and my sister cracking up looking at it in the back of the station wagon.Let's just say it wasn't mine for long lol GOD BLESS...

Wow, I've never heard of odd-rods. Where was I?

You had to spend a fair amount of time skulking around seedy neighborhood convenience stores during school hours...although this, too, would result in the occassional spanking.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wow, I've never heard of odd-rods. Where was I?

You had to spend a fair amount of time skulking around seedy neighborhood convenience stores during school hours...although this, too, would result in the occassional spanking.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

Seedy neighborhood convenience stores, right up my alley. What years did this take place?