• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

artist or rock star?

38 posts in this topic

Having played in Rock bands now for the better part of 30 years, and having played shows with countless other bands, I can say without any reservations whatsoever that "Rock Star"-wannabe lead singers/front-men tend to be among the biggest @-holes and egomaniacs I have ever met. What makes them effective on stage also makes them petty, rude, pompous, arrogant, and just generally unpleasant to be around off stage. I've met a few gems along the way, but I wouldn't care to be like most of them even on my worst days.

As my old buddy Del used to say when auditioning new players: "Big deal...you're a singer. I am too, and so is my granny. Now what else can you do?"

Me? I'd pick "superstar songwriter". That was where the real long-term bucks were in the music biz if you got (and kept) a good publishing deal (+ royalties, etc.), and is arguably much closer in spirit than a singer is to what a painter or illustrator does.

Why not a rock star that writes comic books (like the Umbrella Academy guy, or Rob Zombie)? Leave the drawing to others.

I have not read Umbrella Academy yet but it's on my list of things to read after Christmas. I think art and literature carry you further into the future than music. It seems like a truly talented writer or artist gets recognized for their talents, but a rock star becomes a bit of joke once their hairstyle is outdated.

Why not a rock star that writes comic books (like the Umbrella Academy guy, or Rob Zombie)? Leave the drawing to others.

I have not read Umbrella Academy yet but it's on my list of things to read after Christmas. I think art and literature carry you further into the future than music. It seems like a truly talented writer or artist gets recognized for their talents, but a rock star becomes a bit of joke once their hairstyle is outdated.

Like this mother-flocker?

oldmikescore.jpg

The question to ask is how many people you've met who are under the age of 50 who have at one point in their lives dreamed of being a rock star?

And then figure out how many people you've met over the years who've desperately yearned to spend days and weeks alone huddled over a drawing board working as a professional illustrator who occasionally receives recognition or adulation at a Comic Con?

Everyone wants to be a rock star. Everyone. Even us dweebs.

How many of us own a copy of Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

Like this mother-flocker?

oldmikescore.jpg

Funtastic (thumbs u

The question to ask is how many people you've met who are under the age of 50 who have at one point in their lives dreamed of being a rock star?

And then figure out how many people you've met over the years who've desperately yearned to spend days and weeks alone huddled over a drawing board working as a professional illustrator who occasionally receives recognition or adulation at a Comic Con?

lol