• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is going to limit your comic buying in 2009?

58 posts in this topic

I will probably spend around the same. I usually buy the same titles each month plus I an fairly consistent when buying back issues. I don't buy and big $ books and I never buy with investment in mind. I buy just so I can read and enjoy the artwork. I guess I am an old school collector. Unless something serious financially or healt wise happens I will keep on the same collecting pace.

WIFE - "You've spent $6,000 on a children's book? Are you in mad?" - direct quote.

Next time you hear this, I suggest saying: "You spent $130 on a hair cut? Are you in mad?"

Or, if you're really daring, add the word "that" before "hair cut" and gesture with just a hint of disdain at her new hair.

I spent a ridiculous amount of money on comic books this year, probably in large part due to the economy flushing out some rare books. Further, I upgraded a few books this year, so my purchasing ability in 2009 will depend largely on my ability to sell duplicate books. I also should be looking to get a newer car in '09, which is something that I have been putting off for some time.

Likewise... well other then the car. If people bought my junk, I could buy thiers!

WIFE - "You've spent $6,000 on a children's book? Are you in mad?" - direct quote.

Next time you hear this, I suggest saying: "You spent $130 on a hair cut? Are you in mad?"

Or, if you're really daring, add the word "that" before "hair cut" and gesture with just a hint of disdain at her new hair.

Danger! Danger! Will Robinson.

Biding my time until the comic market crashes so I can pick up nice books at what seem like bargain prices.

Do you really think this will happen? I've wondered if the general economic problems will start a sell-off for liquidity that will bring more books to market and (hopefully) lower prices through competition over buyers.

But nothing seems to be going in that direction yet.

ha, you know what, she hasn't had a hair cut for nearly 2 years things have been that tight.....bless her.....now we good again, she dosen't want to get her 'long' hair cut.....win win (thumbs u

Biding my time until the comic market crashes so I can pick up nice books at what seem like bargain prices.

Do you really think this will happen? I've wondered if the general economic problems will start a sell-off for liquidity that will bring more books to market and (hopefully) lower prices through competition over buyers.

Honestly, I don't know. I was being snarky when I wrote that. However, I do think that economic hard times are going to bring some nice books out of the woodwork and provide some nice opportunities for buyers.

Honestly, I don't know. I was being snarky when I wrote that. However, I do think that economic hard times are going to bring some nice books out of the woodwork and provide some nice opportunities for buyers.

As someone who has been buying a lot since the financial crisis begain in earnest (mid-September), here are my thoughts on the matter:

- The number of great books coming to market has certainly increased. I've been able to add some wonderful books to my permament collection in the last three months. I've had the best three months of buying ever...as far as acquiring rare and HTF books on my wantlist.

- However, it hasn't been in the form of "deals". Sure, I've scored my share of bargains recently, but the premium books still garner premium prices and I haven't been shy about paying well for books that I know won't come around everyday.

- Historically, collectables perform well in times like this because they are perceived to be somewhat immume from the wider world and a decent place to put your cash. Afterall, when you own one of the highest graded copies of a desirable comic book, you in effect control the price, even though it is much less liquid then shares of stock. Chances are good you will at least recoup your money.

- I see Bronze and Moderns being the most susceptible to this economic downturn going forward, mainly because of the sheer number of books out there that can flood the market at any given point. Prime Silver and Gold (Spider-Man, Superman, etc.) will continue to hold their own and in many instances (AF # 15, other Marvel keys) make leaps and bounds forward, but 2nd tier titles and characters will likely weaken.