• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quality Comics auction.

39 posts in this topic

I dunno. I've had dealings with Brent and he seems like a top bloke and a stand up guy to boot. Could this simply be the same person bidding on more than one comic. I remember over a period of a few months in 2007 buying several ASM's 129 (and bidding on a lot more). Same thing could've happened here!

from what i understand alot of brents books are on consignment. If the owner was shilling their own book it would be hard/impossible for brent to do anything about it. (shrug) beforehand anyway

Honest dealers who handle consignments are probably the type dishonest sellers go seeking when looking for consignment dealers to play their shill game.

I don't envy his job, keeping the wolves at bay while trying to make a honest days pay

My guess is that the person selling the book shilled his own auction (again). Since the book sold for under $100, he is supposed to pay a fee, so he should have been required to pay that if he did that previously.

Brent's auctions give CGC book sellers a huge advantage - selling with no commission on books over $100. However, that very thing is what worried me about shills on the bigger books. If I had a book and I wasn't willing to sell it for less than $300, I could shill up my auction to that point and if I won, there would be no penalty - no commission to pay, my book simply wouldn't sell.

On a separate note there were some great deals tonight - three that I was not home to try to nab were just ridiculously cheap - CGC 8.5, 9.0 and 9.2 Sea Devils for $6 a piece.

Hard to know what went on here, but I would think long and hard before saying anything bad about Brent at Quality Comix. He has a sterling reputation. It will be interesting to find out what happened. I'm sure there is a logical explanation.

Mike

I agree!

Mike

I just wanted to be the 3rd Mike to say that it might take a verified video of Brent doing something wrong before I'd believe it happened. That's how much of my respect he has.

Mike

so who switched their handle to the_boys?

'walking dead' before that, and 'comics rock' before that...no deception, just collecting paterns (thumbs u

was just wondering as I figured you were around a while. Nothing sinister

hmmmm, if this would have been anyone else we'd be up in arms...asking them to account...getting the gallows ready... etc etc....Brent, shows how much respect you have on these boards buddy!!!

is there anyway we can check whos ebay id 'bill1247' actually is?

I give Brent, whom I do not know, a lot of credit for having his own auction site and business. I own a small business, and if you've never had one you have no idea how tough it can be to keep one alive, especially in this day and age. If there's any question about his integrity, just look what he did for Steve Borock this weekend (in regards to the AF 15 mistake Steve made). Ebay can't control shill bidders, and I'd think it would be almost darn impossible for Brent to have control over that. But I know nothing about comic auctions except I spend too much on them!!!

so who switched their handle to the_boys?

'walking dead' before that, and 'comics rock' before that...no deception, just collecting paterns (thumbs u

was just wondering as I figured you were around a while. Nothing sinister

10-4 no problem...had to sell my entire collection....but im back now....gonna be a lot more careful what i spend money on!!!

Here is Brent's explanation to what occurred.

>A customer won some books in our last auction. Then he ran into a

> temporary financial situation where he couldn't pay for all of the books,

> so we had to resell a small number of them, some for our consignors.

> Since he has been a good customer and paid for most of his order, I let

> him bid again in our auctions. I guess he still wanted this book. From

> the bid history, it appears that he placed his bid before you placed

> yours.

>

> Hope that clears up any confusion.

>

> Best,

>

> Brent

I told him to sell the book to his good customer.

Here is Brent's explanation to what occurred.

>A customer won some books in our last auction. Then he ran into a

> temporary financial situation where he couldn't pay for all of the books,

> so we had to resell a small number of them, some for our consignors.

> Since he has been a good customer and paid for most of his order, I let

> him bid again in our auctions. I guess he still wanted this book. From

> the bid history, it appears that he placed his bid before you placed

> yours.

>

> Hope that clears up any confusion.

>

> Best,

>

> Brent

I told him to sell the book to his good customer.

seems reasonable