• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Presence at Florida Supercon

19 posts in this topic

This is really cool. Usually this is a small show overstuffed into a small venue. This year they nabbed a great hotel in Miami with significant convention space. More importnatly, they already signed two GA legends:

FLORIDA SUPERCON

THE SOUTH FLORIDA COMIC BOOK, ANIME, ANIMATION, COSPLAY & FANTASY CONVENTION RETURNS JUNE 5-7, 2009

http://www.floridasupercon.com

FLORIDA SUPERCON ANNOUNCES NEW DATES, LOCATION, INITIAL GUEST LINE UP & EXHIBITOR INFORMATION

Miami, FL - Florida Supercon returns in 2009! Now in it's 4th year, FSC once again moves into a larger venue as the three day festival continues to grow. This year’s event will take place June 5, 6 & 7, 2009 at the Doubletree Miami Mart Airport Hotel and Convention Center in Miami, FL. The three day festival will take place in the convention center's west hall (50,000 sq. feet) and the convention centers entire second floor (over 35,000 sq. feet) making this the largest genre event to ever hit South Florida. The show will include celebrity guests, artists, writers, vendors, industry guests, Q&A's, parties, costume contests, anime programming, manga, cosplay, workshops, panels, cosplay photo shoots, dance parties, console gaming, LAN gaming, tabletop gaming, collectible card gaming, tournaments and more!

Al Feldstein: Legendary EC Comics creator, Al Feldstein served as Editor, Writer and Artist for EC Comics in the Golden Age. His work has graced the covers of Tales From The Crypt, Weird Science, Weird Fantasy, Shock SuspenStories, Crime SuspenStories,Vault of Horror, Panic and The Haunt of Fear.

Allen Bellman: Golden Age Comic Book Legend. Artist of Captain America, The Patriot, Let's Play Detective, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner and more! Mr. Bellman was the recipient of the 2007 San Diego Comic Con Inkpot Award.

Ooh, if you get the chance, you should definitely go see Feldstein! I met Al at the 2007 Baltimore Comic Con. He is a lot of fun to talk to. He has a ton of stories, and loves to tell them. He did a Mad panel with Sergio Aragones, and Sergio just sat there and listened to Al for most of the hour. Sergio even joked that he was "learning so much!"

I spoke with Al for a while at his table that day, and later that night my wife and I were sitting in the concierge lounge in the Marriott when Al walked in, spotted us, and came over and sat down. Wow, I couldn't believe it, Al Feldstein was sitting at our table, for over an hour, just chatting with us, telling stories, and answering questions! It was one of the most amazing experiences in my comic collecting life!

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

He sets up a table and sells prints of his EC cover recreation paintings. If I remember correctly, he will sign 5 items for you if you buy a print, and the prints are about $20. He will do commissions, paintings only, but they are pretty expensive. He has a policy of not doing sketches.

Here is a sketch he did not do for me. (shrug)

Felstein.jpg

Sounds like fun. I've never met Feldstein or Bellman. That would be very cool. Could I crash at your place Josh?

:)

Absolutely you can crash at the pad - in fact, if there are a lot of people coming down, I can get everyone great rates at beautiful hotels that I represent in Miami Beach.

Also, if a few boardies get down to this one, I will host the forum pre-con dinner at Joe's Stone Crabs (thumbs u

Ooh, if you get the chance, you should definitely go see Feldstein! I met Al at the 2007 Baltimore Comic Con. He is a lot of fun to talk to. He has a ton of stories, and loves to tell them. He did a Mad panel with Sergio Aragones, and Sergio just sat there and listened to Al for most of the hour. Sergio even joked that he was "learning so much!"

I spoke with Al for a while at his table that day, and later that night my wife and I were sitting in the concierge lounge in the Marriott when Al walked in, spotted us, and came over and sat down. Wow, I couldn't believe it, Al Feldstein was sitting at our table, for over an hour, just chatting with us, telling stories, and answering questions! It was one of the most amazing experiences in my comic collecting life!

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

He sets up a table and sells prints of his EC cover recreation paintings. If I remember correctly, he will sign 5 items for you if you buy a print, and the prints are about $20. He will do commissions, paintings only, but they are pretty expensive. He has a policy of not doing sketches.

Here is a sketch he did not do for me. (shrug)

Felstein.jpg

This is good stuff - I'm looking forward to it.

Sounds like fun. I've never met Feldstein or Bellman. That would be very cool. Could I crash at your place Josh?

Al Feldstein died shortly after San Diego so not sure you want to meet him now.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Creig Flessel, who passed away on July 17? As far as I know, Feldstein is still with us.

Yes, Feldstein will be signing comics. He was just in Vancouver, BC Canada comicon 08Nov. Al was charging a nominal $20 for 1 of his color EC prints + 3 or 4 "free" signatures on the comic item of your choosing. Very good value! He has a clear signature but I asked him to sign the bottom of pg. 1 rather than front cover. :gossip:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Creig Flessel, who passed away on July 17? As far as I know, Feldstein is still with us.

methinks adamstrange is a bit confused :insane:

Al Feldstein is definitely alive and well! (thumbs u

I have met him several times, he is truly a treasure. Always full of wonderful stories about EC and Mad. He has a great memory and is still very sharp at age 83. I also have a sketch that he did NOT do for me, it looks very similar to the one above. He even wrote, "To Tony: Sorry but I don't do sketches!" on it. lol

I have never met Allen Bellman, however, and I would absolutely love to see him at a convention someday. There are fewer and fewer of those old school Marvel/Atlas guys around these days.

Al Feldstein is definitely alive and well! (thumbs u

I have met him several times, he is truly a treasure. Always full of wonderful stories about EC and Mad. He has a great memory and is still very sharp at age 83. I also have a sketch that he did NOT do for me, it looks very similar to the one above. He even wrote, "To Tony: Sorry but I don't do sketches!" on it. lol

I have never met Allen Bellman, however, and I would absolutely love to see him at a convention someday. There are fewer and fewer of those old school Marvel/Atlas guys around these days.

Here is a pic of Bellman and me from last year's show.

IMAGE_bellman.jpg

And here is the sketch he did for me:

006-4.jpg

methinks adamstrange is a bit confused :insane:

Thought it was Al, am definitely not confusing him with Flessel.