• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HooDeeDoo vs Motor City Comics

144 posts in this topic

Almost all collectors are this board are dealers in disguise. Buying and selling is what dealers do, many of you do the same, therefore you are "dealers".

You're right, but I don't think I ever met a high grade collector who didn't fit this definition to some degree.

If you want a true collector, look for the guy showing you his coin slot while rummaging through the dollar bin, scouring for G/VG copies of Tales of Suspense # 97. thumbsup2.gif

Why didn't you tell me my coin slot was showing? 893whatthe.gif I'll have to pull up my tighty whiteys up better next time rummaging through that bargain bin..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As for the definition of dealer, I'm simply going to paraphrase something that Bob said to me at an NYC show in 1999 regarding dealers who have ND labels on their books. A dealer is someone who DEALS. In other words, is open to negotiation. Admittedly, as far as major shows are concerned, a "deal" would have to involve a decent amount of cash.

So if a seller doesn't make "deals" then he is not a dealer?

Under English law (I can't speak for the U.S.) the moment you sell anything for a profit, you are a seller, or a vendor, and thus open to taxation. The word "dealer" per se denotes some level of profession, whether it be part time or otherwise.

thumbsup2.gifA comic book dealer is a profession, one in which a person makes aliving from. In Bob's case, does he claim his earnings from selling books? Just because a person sells comic books does not automatically make them a dealer. Just because someone sells books on E-bay does not make them a dealer.

Three out of those four definitions had the word dealer in them. Splitting hairs but if you are selling books to "make money to buy more books" you are a dealer.

I sell books to buy more books, I am a dealer.

There now repeat after me people, I sell books to buy more books. I AM A DEALER.

Since you're a collecting dealer, I really don't understand why you'd argue to blur the lines between you and us. I trust collecting dealers more than I trust dealing collectors because they've got more experience at what they're doing. I'm not sure how good the grading or selling policies on most people on ebay or these forums are, but I know you've got a lot of experience with both of those...are you saying it doesn't matter who you buy from, that a dealer is a dealer? You're effectively arguing that there's no value in choosing to buy from someone like yourself! confused.gif

FF - I think this is ridiculous. To use your own previous examples of Bob (who has a personal collection) and Comgeek (who does not) I would feel very comfortable buying a book from EITHER one of them. You can't make a blanket statement like that, you should use a case by case basis. To think that Comgeek doesn't have ample experience because he doesn't have a personal collection baffles me.

DAM

All right I didn't finish my college degree

What is a ingenues?

You're just feigning ignorance Bob, you know exactly what that word means, you're just too ashamed to admit it. And I don't believe that claptrap about not finishing your degree, college boy.

However if you really don't know what "ingenue" means (or care), it's a term taken from the French that means "inexperienced newcomer" or "arrogant illiterate bozo with Gramps' comic collection who can't grade but is about to make a killing due to established ebayers' credulity". I should have just put in "newbie". smirk.gif

It's all about the Queen's English Andy...why don't you just "ring" Bob and see if he wants to "muck about" before the next big show to explain it to him!!

As for the definition of dealer, I'm simply going to paraphrase something that Bob said to me at an NYC show in 1999 regarding dealers who have ND labels on their books. A dealer is someone who DEALS. In other words, is open to negotiation. Admittedly, as far as major shows are concerned, a "deal" would have to involve a decent amount of cash.

A seller who doesn't make deals is either Chuck Rozanski, a RETAILER, or broke. Or possibly (in Chuck's case) all three. insane.gif

The exception: the dealers at the very very top of the food chain, e.g. Fishler, Parrino, etc. Whoever has the gold, well you know the rest.

There now repeat after me people, I sell books to buy more books. I AM A DEALER.

From my local DA meeting:

Hello. My name is George, and I am a dealer. I haven't flipped a book in three hours. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Three hours? If that's the case, we can expect withdrawal symptoms any moment now:

"...must...bump...marketplace...post..." insane.gif

Speaking of which.... devil.gif

It's all about the Queen's English Andy...why don't you just "ring" Bob and see if he wants to "muck about" before the next big show to explain it to him!!

Exactly! Last time I saw Bob at a big show he looked a bit disconsolate so I told him to "keep his pecker up" and asked him if he wanted a [!@#%^&^]. I then had to bugger off to the khazi to point percy at the porcelain!

If you need a translation, I'll be only too happy to oblige. However Drbanner, I may be a cad but I'm certainly not a queen! blush.gif

A seller who doesn't make deals is either Chuck Rozanski, a RETAILER, or broke. Or possibly (in Chuck's case) all three. insane.gif

The exception: the dealers at the very very top of the food chain, e.g. Fishler, Parrino, etc. Whoever has the gold, well you know the rest.

Here's a little bit of color on that last post from my observations - at the NYC National this weekend Metro (Fishler) and Parrino (the mint) set up but didn't have any long boxes to go through. Strictly "wall" books. Metro had literally 9 Batman #1s (I wonder if they would cut me a deal if I bought all nine 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif) and Parrino had a Detective 27 cgc 3.0 blue label. Good thing I brought my American Express tongue.gif

It's good to be the king . . .

DAM

Is 'muck about' a double entendre over here ? Boy, am I embarrassed blush.gif

What is an ingenue?

It's a pretty 16yo girl wearing a tight low-cut cashmere sweater, who, when she approaches your booth, bends over onto your boxes, brings her elbows together and clasps her hands, and then, while looking up at you and batting her eyes, says to you in her most Catholic schoolgirl voice: "Hello. I know very little about comic books, but Reed Richard's super power intrigues me. After the show is over, could we go somewhere so you can explain to me how he does that?"

893whatthe.gif

what the?! I go to lunch and the thread went off about the "collector/dealer" whatever...

Just for the record... I don't agree with Bob that if you ever sell books, that puts you in the "dealer" category:

I consider myself a collector, especially now, in that I am buying books I hope to buy only once. If I upgrade, so be it, I'll sell my undercopy, but I'm looking for books with good eye appeal and page quality (not necessarily even 9.0s or better) that I'm happy to keep in my collection... flaws and all. But occassionally I will sell a book... it happens: I get tired of it, change my patterns in collecting... that puts me in the "dealer" category... I don't see that.

I shouldn't say this cause it makes me look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person but... there are times when taking a loss on a book isn't a big deal to me... I bought the book originally for entertainment purposes... I enjoyed owning it, but now, since the book isn't a 9.4 or anything, I want to sell... and often have taken an overall loss. To be quite honest it doesn't matter to me... I don't want to take a loss, but I believe in selling the books reasonably so the dealer gets a fair shake too, and can reasonably turn the book around. Since I sell the books this way, a couple of guys will take books from me that they ordinarily wouldn't, pay a little bit more, cause I'm not trying to bilk them on the high grade as well, and then when I want to dump some books that aren't as good... they still will take them.

But am I dealer... ? It rarely comes to that, and since I'm not looking to resell at all... I just don't see it that way or define a dealer that way... so I disagree with Bob's underlying definition... if you ever sell a book, then you're a dealer. I don't think I ever bought a book from Bob, Ted or anyone else in the last three years hoping for to slab it and turn it around... and I hope I'm in the majority of collectors.

But for those disagreeing with Bob's side of the table regarding dealers and their mentality regarding pricing and discounts, i think Bob's emminently fair... if you think he's off with his comments, throw some dealers out there who you think are so different and that much the better with their stock? I wonder...

I haven't been spending big bucks with Bob and I'm still being treated fairly...

I shouldn't say this cause it makes me look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person but... there are times when taking a loss on a book isn't a big deal to me... I bought the book originally for entertainment purposes... I enjoyed owning it, but now, since the book isn't a 9.4 or anything, I want to sell... and often have taken an overall loss. To be quite honest it doesn't matter to me... I don't want to take a loss, but I believe in selling the books reasonably so the dealer gets a fair shake too, and can reasonably turn the book around.

But am I dealer... ?

You definitely answered your own question there. Athough you've got the hunters' need to find more books, profit is not the prime directive, or any directive. You don't have the competitive mindset of a dealer, and don't feel shame when you take a loss on a book. You're not a dealer.