• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

I missed this one yesterday

3142735887_8bab67ca33_o.jpg

I love the cover! Is there a good story to go along with it!

JourneyIntoMystery71.jpg

Seeing your copy of JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #71 reminded me that I also have a copy, so I pulled out a Xerox copy I made of the cover years ago and scanned it for posting.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it appears that your copy was trimmed on the right side, either that, or it was badly miscut during printing. Here's a scan of my copy with which to compare yours.

Not worried about trimming as that's the White Mountain copy and I know where it's been. It's just a mis-cut which is quite common in comics as they were printed with about the lowest quality of any periodical.

72~

Well, I'm never going to be able to post 20 covers seadevils - and if I was it would have to have been while we were in the 20's or even the teens.

but after yesterday I have to go with the my very favorite B&B cover after the beginning of the superhero run (the early issues with Viking Prince and the lot were the bestest)

BB72.jpg

And I guess that's it till tomorrow.

Happy Friday

Awesome copy Lee. :applause: Makes me want to touch up my B&B collection among others. You're not as old as I am Lee...otherwise you probably would be able to post 20+ issues....As I recall you said you were in your 20's? I'm impressed someone so young has a silver-collection you've amassed thus far. Keep pluggin' (thumbs u Course I'm still a young 46 for a couple more days.

This is a great comic. When I got back into collecting and started working on the B&B run, this was one of the last issues among the surrounding ones that I needed. Then one day I was visiting my mom and thumbing through my 'old' collection up in her attic and I found a copy! I had bought one during my first collecting phase and forgotten I had it. Mine's not a 9.2, though.

This is a superb collaboration between Murphy Anderson and Carmine Infantino, back when they were able to work with each other and blend their unique talents into something special.

Found another of these rarities...Shiverbones...you like?

FunnyStuff72.jpg

I like it!!! :applause:

Planet72-1.jpg

Just about every Planet Comics cover makes fans say, "That's one of my favorites" -- but that's one of my favorites. Maurice Whitman drew some great covers. Sad to think that this is the penultimate -- I'll miss it the the parade after tomorrow.

(And I might miss tomorrow. I'll probably be checking in sporadically for the next week.)

Jack

Not near as nice as John T's copy....... .here's my MIS....This is one collection I'm going to upgrade as a priority...

MysteryInSpace71.jpg

Doesn't look that bad. 10-centers are allowed to have a little wear--unless you're Inaflash, Adamstrange, Zzutak, Silver, Comick1, or AtlasFan.

Probably skipped someone there...sorry!

Those guys are no different than me except they probably do not show their worse copies. I have many books as nice as them...but I collect so many titles that the grades overall are a mixed bag. If you notice when I show 15 to 20 books there are a few HG's in the mix. A couple low's and average about mid-grade. It's not about who has the nicest copy...but for some perhaps it is. And I love seeing the HG copies..especially if mine is a lesser example. Keep 'em rollin' gang!!

I don't know...I've got a feeling some of those guys may only focus on higher grade, but that may just be an assumption.

I like seeing the different collecting styles. Mine is eclectic and I'll definitely buy midgrade, or even low grade on the rare stuff. But occasionally it's a real treat to see the almost pristine books some of you are posting.

I am constantly upgrading books as well as getting books I do not have. There are those books that we are all not happy unless we have the best we can get. The Super-Heroes I try to get as high a grade I can within reason. But if I can get a 6.0 to 8.0 for half guide or less vs. 9.2 and up at guide I'll usually opt for the lesser. Occasionally I score a CGC slabbed copy at 9.2 at half guide though. It happens.

But the fun is in the collecting and I do love to read my comics. I really hate slabbed copies.

Just realized that's a Jack Davis cover. It does seem to fit in with the pre-code style.

Here are two from yesterday:

This could have almost been a pre-code cover...

ST_71.jpg

Not near as nice as John T's copy....... .here's my MIS....This is one collection I'm going to upgrade as a priority...

MysteryInSpace71.jpg

Doesn't look that bad. 10-centers are allowed to have a little wear--unless you're Inaflash, Adamstrange, Zzutak, Silver, Comick1, or AtlasFan.

You really can't mention me and Adamstrange in the same sentence like that, I am more of a upper mid grade kinda of collector...Adam has a time machine lol

MysteryInSpace71.jpg

Those guys are no different than me except they probably do not show their worse copies. I have many books as nice as them...but I collect so many titles that the grades overall are a mixed bag. If you notice when I show 15 to 20 books there are a few HG's in the mix. A couple low's and average about mid-grade. It's not about who has the nicest copy...but for some perhaps it is. And I love seeing the HG copies..especially if mine is a lesser example. Keep 'em rollin' gang!!

I don't know...I've got a feeling some of those guys may only focus on higher grade, but that may just be an assumption.

I like seeing the different collecting styles. Mine is eclectic and I'll definitely buy midgrade, or even low grade on the rare stuff. But occasionally it's a real treat to see the almost pristine books some of you are posting.

I am constantly upgrading books as well as getting books I do not have. There are those books that we are all not happy unless we have the best we can get. The Super-Heroes I try to get as high a grade I can within reason. But if I can get a 6.0 to 8.0 for half guide or less vs. 9.2 and up at guide I'll usually opt for the lesser. Occasionally I score a CGC slabbed copy at 9.2 at half guide though. It happens.

But the fun is in the collecting and I do love to read my comics. I really hate slabbed copies.

I like slabbed copies because you know what you're getting when you crack them out!

Yeah, if I can get a 6.0 for a quarter or less of a 9.0, I'll go for the 6.0 most of the time.

MysteryInSpace71.jpg

You really can't mention me and Adamstrange in the same sentence like that, I am more of a upper mid grade kinda of collector...Adam has a time machine lol

Well, it is your thread. :whistle:

Seriously, your copies of some of those early Superboys are probably close to the top copies.