• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

Xmen-96-at-96.jpg

Whats that shabby book doing in your collection Steve? A little beneath your standards isn't it hm:grin:

Hey, if you are going to photoshop it at least do me a favor and make it a 9.9 or 10 - Robbie is a big eater and I will need to pay for his college some day :)

And AS was replaced by this guy? :o

The pink and purple mix is a stunning color combination.

Seadevils, your prolific posting of covers is a wonder to behold. You must spend many an hour laboring over a hot scanner!

I notice you mention the deadly "u" word a lot - upgrading. Clearly you are a long term collector, but what has inspired you to seek upgrades at this stage? I assume many of your copies have been in your collection a long time. Is it that you have recently returned to comic book collecting after a period of inactivity?

Whatever the reason, it's great to see such enthusiasm!

Well...most of what you said sums it up steelcity...... For over 30 years I've collected comics for completion of titles. Taking whatever I could get from yard sales and flea markets as a youngster...to ordering from those awful guys that used to advertise in the late 60's early 70's Marvel & DC comics......Then ordering out of the CBG until 1982 when the first LCS opened here in the Little Rock area.

There used to be this guy about my dad's age when I was a teenager that had tons of old comics he amassed from sales as well. I purchased most of my Super-Hero DC runs from this guy. Anyhow..there was no one to share with or trade and say..."my copies better than your copy".....only the past couple years as I have gotten closer to my goal that I am starting to go back and review what I have. Grade them, etc. When Silver started this thread I saw an oportunity to start getting images of my collection together. I had never really done this aside from just a handful of books I had scanned the past couple years.

Now I am pushing 3000 books photographed starting from around the 50 or 60th something day of this thread. And not sure how many 1000's are ahead. If you recall the first few weeks I did not remove the books from the bags and was only showing maybe 5 or 6 books or so. Then started to just pull all the #'s for each day and shoot them all. By making sure I post to this thread each day means I have to shoot all the #'s for every day keeping me at task. when I get 5 to 10 days ahead I just start grabbing entire runs of titles and shooting them all. Especially the shorter runs with 5 to 20 something issues.

Anyhow....after seeing all these books of which many have been with me for 20 to more than 30 years..I am beginning to see the overall condition for the first time in a long time. So yes....I want to upgrade as much as I can...the horrible "U" word.

I'm quite content with VG+ and VG/F and F copies of the early higher $ books. But anything lower is getting the boot and replaced. I upgrade even F/VF's if I come across a bargain. Anyhow...at least I have enjoyed collecting the full gamut of the SA/BA DC works. And actually read them as I get the chance.

For me..it's not about having the best copies overall. Just a nice overall collection without junkers(anything below VG) if I can help it. Yes..like many..there are certain books and entire runs that I seek HG copies(7.0's to 9.0's) of and have many. Such as the Super-Heroes and Sci-Fi titles. Heck..every title except maybe "A Date With Judy" , "DoDo & Frog" and a few others has some HG examples. I often pick up entire runs just so I can fill holes and upgrade..thus ending up with several 1000 dupes in my way. But the completeness of the collection is what keeps me going.

Of course I know theres many of you that a junker would be anything less than F/VF or VF+. For some anything under 9.2 is tabboo. lol

Wow, interesting read, Seadevils. I fully agree that having a minimum standard and being happy with books at or above that grade does make for a happier time. Only being satisfied with high grade can be a curse.

You are doing a good job to keep scanning. It can be daunting. I have box after box of books just waiting to be scanned. I would love to scan them and show them here on the boards. It's a task that is always pending but I never get around to actually doing it!

You really should show more of your books..and more often...I know it a "time" thing..but..if you don't start now.... (shrug)

So..tell us about your history of collecting steelcity. How long? Aren't you in the UK? How has it been locating SA DC's in your part of the world.

Well, my story has been told before. A sweeping tale of ruthless obsession...

Basically, I loved comic books from the moment I could read. My Dad's work meant that my childhood was spent in both the US and UK. I collected mostly DC until aged around twelve, then became a huge Marvel collector. I also collected UK titles, such as TV Comic, TV 21, Countdown/TV Action, along with the traditional Beano/Dandy type books.

Left comic collecting around fifteen until discovering comic book shops/collector fairs in my early twenties. Later, the Photo Journals helped me to focus on what I really wanted to collect.

I still love the same books I did as a child. Only now I love a lot more books, too!

The one and only!

ST_97.jpg

Whoa!!! :o Awesome!! I'd love to read the story on that one...

:o :o New to the hobbie I guess, never seen the cover... That is Siiiiiiiick!!!! I love that, it is awesome!! (worship)

The one and only!

ST_97.jpg

Whoa!!! :o Awesome!! I'd love to read the story on that one...

:o :o New to the hobbie I guess, never seen the cover... That is Siiiiiiiick!!!! I love that, it is awesome!! (worship)

It is one of the best covers of the Silver Age -- I want to start a petition to get CGC to classify it as a "Classic Cover"!

The story is a typical "end of the world" type story -- not as negative or as cynical as an EC "end of the world" yarn, but with that great Kirby art...its a classic!

Bill

It's got my vote.

STx97v2-1.jpg

GIC97.jpg

Since P and P hasn't posted up this book yet, I'll go first, and feel free to put yours up also.

Det97-1.jpg

Thanks Senormac

Here's mine

detective_97.jpg

Nice books guys! :applause:

And AS was replaced by this guy? :o

The pink and purple mix is a stunning color combination.

Seadevils, your prolific posting of covers is a wonder to behold. You must spend many an hour laboring over a hot scanner!

I notice you mention the deadly "u" word a lot - upgrading. Clearly you are a long term collector, but what has inspired you to seek upgrades at this stage? I assume many of your copies have been in your collection a long time. Is it that you have recently returned to comic book collecting after a period of inactivity?

Whatever the reason, it's great to see such enthusiasm!

Well...most of what you said sums it up steelcity...... For over 30 years I've collected comics for completion of titles. Taking whatever I could get from yard sales and flea markets as a youngster...to ordering from those awful guys that used to advertise in the late 60's early 70's Marvel & DC comics......Then ordering out of the CBG until 1982 when the first LCS opened here in the Little Rock area.

There used to be this guy about my dad's age when I was a teenager that had tons of old comics he amassed from sales as well. I purchased most of my Super-Hero DC runs from this guy. Anyhow..there was no one to share with or trade and say..."my copies better than your copy".....only the past couple years as I have gotten closer to my goal that I am starting to go back and review what I have. Grade them, etc. When Silver started this thread I saw an oportunity to start getting images of my collection together. I had never really done this aside from just a handful of books I had scanned the past couple years.

Now I am pushing 3000 books photographed starting from around the 50 or 60th something day of this thread. And not sure how many 1000's are ahead. If you recall the first few weeks I did not remove the books from the bags and was only showing maybe 5 or 6 books or so. Then started to just pull all the #'s for each day and shoot them all. By making sure I post to this thread each day means I have to shoot all the #'s for every day keeping me at task. when I get 5 to 10 days ahead I just start grabbing entire runs of titles and shooting them all. Especially the shorter runs with 5 to 20 something issues.

Anyhow....after seeing all these books of which many have been with me for 20 to more than 30 years..I am beginning to see the overall condition for the first time in a long time. So yes....I want to upgrade as much as I can...the horrible "U" word.

I'm quite content with VG+ and VG/F and F copies of the early higher $ books. But anything lower is getting the boot and replaced. I upgrade even F/VF's if I come across a bargain. Anyhow...at least I have enjoyed collecting the full gamut of the SA/BA DC works. And actually read them as I get the chance.

For me..it's not about having the best copies overall. Just a nice overall collection without junkers(anything below VG) if I can help it. Yes..like many..there are certain books and entire runs that I seek HG copies(7.0's to 9.0's) of and have many. Such as the Super-Heroes and Sci-Fi titles. Heck..every title except maybe "A Date With Judy" , "DoDo & Frog" and a few others has some HG examples. I often pick up entire runs just so I can fill holes and upgrade..thus ending up with several 1000 dupes in my way. But the completeness of the collection is what keeps me going.

Of course I know theres many of you that a junker would be anything less than F/VF or VF+. For some anything under 9.2 is tabboo. lol

Wow, interesting read, Seadevils. I fully agree that having a minimum standard and being happy with books at or above that grade does make for a happier time. Only being satisfied with high grade can be a curse.

You are doing a good job to keep scanning. It can be daunting. I have box after box of books just waiting to be scanned. I would love to scan them and show them here on the boards. It's a task that is always pending but I never get around to actually doing it!

You really should show more of your books..and more often...I know it a "time" thing..but..if you don't start now.... (shrug)

So..tell us about your history of collecting steelcity. How long? Aren't you in the UK? How has it been locating SA DC's in your part of the world.

Well, my story has been told before. A sweeping tale of ruthless obsession...

Basically, I loved comic books from the moment I could read. My Dad's work meant that my childhood was spent in both the US and UK. I collected mostly DC until aged around twelve, then became a huge Marvel collector. I also collected UK titles, such as TV Comic, TV 21, Countdown/TV Action, along with the traditional Beano/Dandy type books.

Left comic collecting around fifteen until discovering comic book shops/collector fairs in my early twenties. Later, the Photo Journals helped me to focus on what I really wanted to collect.

I still love the same books I did as a child. Only now I love a lot more books, too!

Ian is pretty modest. He has the nicest comic collection I have ever seen. He could blow our socks off every day of this thread if he wanted to. And the best part? He loves the books as much as anyone here.

Catching up on a few days if that's OK - 95 and 96

As long as it includes Severin/Elder, it's okay by me! :applause: