• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just back from cgc - Mags

307 posts in this topic

I know there is a just back from cgc in the general forum, but the mag section gets so little love, and these are all mags. So without further ado (wtf is an ado)

Here is my latest shipment. The highlights include:

Savage Tales #1 9.2

Savage Sword of Conan #1 9.8 (white pages) - Highest

Vampirella #1 1969 Commemerative Blue Foil 9.8 (white pages) - Highest (only)

Scream #1 Skywald 9.0

Vampirella #1 8.5

Vampirella #6 9.4

Creepy #3 9.8 Highest (and only) :cloud9:

Creepy #4 9.2

Creepy #11 9.8 (white pages) Highest (only 2 at 9.8) :cloud9:

Creepy #11 9.8 - (other highest)

Creepy #16 9.0

Creepy #17 9.4 (white pages)

Eerie #2 9.4

Eerie #17 9.0

Not shown here but due back from cgc soon, Creepy #9 SS signed by Frank Frazetta in 9.8 (I already own the only other 9.8 #9)

Of course some pics (not great shots, but too lazy to scan right now:

grp1.jpg

grp2.jpg

grp3.jpg

grp4.jpg

grp5.jpg

the lowbies

grp6.jpg

Thanks, I am quite proud of the 9.8's, but some of the lower grades are actually almost as hard to get, the Eerie #17 in 9.0 is a tough one, and there is only 1 higher. Scream #1 in 9.0, tough dark cover and good Skywalds don't seem to be easy to find. For some reason Creepy #16 usually has a printers crease on the back, sometimes the front, and that black background shows every speck of wear from the past 40 years.

What you don't see is all the books I bought before I found the high graded ones, some issues I have bought close to a dozen copies before I found a good copy, some only a handful, but rarely just 1 copy. I think the Scream #1 is about the only book where I only had 1 copy. Savage Tales I bought several copies before I found a 9.2, somehow I have had really good luck with Savage Sword of Conan, I bought 4 copies over the past couple of years, I have one left ungraded (probably a VF) the other 3 were 9.4, 9.6 and this last one 9.8. For the most part, it never goes that well, especially with older Warrens. Personally, I think Overstreet is way off the mark with most of these books, $60 for 9.2 Creepy 3 to 8, 11 to 13, and 15 to 17 is crazy talk for 40 year old books with great art. Good for buyers of those issues, and I for one hope they don't realize their mistake right away.

Nice mags, MakMorn (that used to be my role-playing character's name, back in the early 90s... Kyle MakMorn in Palladium's Heroes/Bran MacMorn in Palladium's Rifts/ and Connor MacMorn in regular Palladium...). I totally agree with you on the OS value undercut, and the relative scarcity of these mags. I have a complete Vampirella collection, a complete Skywald Horror Mood collection, and a near complete run of Eerie, and I would say over 80% of the Skywalds are midgrade, and only about 25% of ALL of them are actual high grade, with the majority being midgrade at best.

Thanks, they look good sitting on each side of the #11 SS, which should have been a 9.8 also, but somewhere between my house and cgc, it got a bump on a corner. (and some of you know I pack my stuff like I was shipping to mars) :cry:

creepy11SS.jpg

Never get tired of seeing that book :) those colors are amazing ,makes me smile everytime I see it.

You ever need to get rid of it , I'll be more than happy to give it a good home.

:lol:I know never gonna happen , but hey it's worth a try.

At least put me 1st on the waiting list :baiting: