• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for sellers - What Is The Point Of Feedback. Am I a jerk ???

74 posts in this topic

To comicmankev, xrcst and gpcove: I don't know why in the world you'd leave positive feedback upon receipt of payment, in auctions where you are the seller. This to me seems crazy - your argument is that the buyer has completed their obligation in the transaction...but if the buyer receives the goods and decides there's a problem, you're then placed in a very tough position. The seller can then neg you, and you have very little recourse. If only for the purposes of being able to negotiate with a disgruntled customer from the best, most equal vantage point, it would seem like a good idea to hold off on leaving fb until the seller has done so, or at least until you've confirmed that the seller has received the goods and appears satisfied.

As far as not leaving neg feedback, when it's warranted, in those instances where you are the buyer, that's just depressing. By not leaving the neg fb, you're allowing a less-than-upstanding seller to continue practicing bad sales policies. If you're afraid of receiving retaliatory neg feedback, get a secondary eBay acct. just for buying! sign-rantpost.gif

Not mind boggling, but knowing I overpaid almost $67 to offset seller's costs, fees, time, gas, misc expenses, packing expenses, state tax - (all costs that I absorb in my own selling endeavors) eats at me a bit but I still haven't negged someone based on that. Costs were explicitly laid out in the auctions and there were no surprises, so I'm not pointing fingers.

This again was a small month...I'm wondering how bad it'll get during heavier traffic months 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well speaking for my $1.15 portion of that $67, I can tell you that the extra "handling" portion of the shipping and handling charge was money well spent. Your books accompanied me to the local strip club where they got up close and personal with some of the finest entertainment available in these parts. Your $1.15 covered the nine second drum fill during Godsmack's "Voodoo" as an engineering student named "Sunshine" was removing her t-back...

Our local establishments are all smoke-free, but you may want to check those John Carters for just a hint of "Beautiful," the perfume of choice for engineering students everywhere...

Money well spent, my friend... money well spent...

I will now drop you some negs for those John Carters and proclaim your shipping profiteering, along with the whoremongering wink.gif from the eBay feedback "rooftops"

Ahh, yes "Beautiful" - that Estee Lauder can whip up quite an "eau" smile.gif But that brings back memories as I've had 2 very memorable women that preferred that scent. I used to be able to tell what perfume girls where wearing with the slightest sniff...alas I am way out of touch nowadays frown.gif

BTW, thanks for showing my books a good time, lighthouse style! and I'll be expecting that $1.15 out of that stripper's crotch and into my paypal account anyday now sumo.gif

Not mind boggling, but knowing I overpaid almost $67 to offset seller's costs, fees, time, gas, misc expenses, packing expenses, state tax - (all costs that I absorb in my own selling endeavors) eats at me a bit but I still haven't negged someone based on that. Costs were explicitly laid out in the auctions and there were no surprises, so I'm not pointing fingers.

This again was a small month...I'm wondering how bad it'll get during heavier traffic months 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well speaking for my $1.15 portion of that $67, I can tell you that the extra "handling" portion of the shipping and handling charge was money well spent. Your books accompanied me to the local strip club where they got up close and personal with some of the finest entertainment available in these parts. Your $1.15 covered the nine second drum fill during Godsmack's "Voodoo" as an engineering student named "Sunshine" was removing her t-back...

Our local establishments are all smoke-free, but you may want to check those John Carters for just a hint of "Beautiful," the perfume of choice for engineering students everywhere...

Money well spent, my friend... money well spent...

I will now drop you some negs for those John Carters and proclaim your shipping profiteering, along with the whoremongering wink.gif from the eBay feedback "rooftops"

Ahh, yes "Beautiful" - that Estee Lauder can whip up quite an "eau" smile.gif But that brings back memories as I've had 2 very memorable women that preferred that scent. I used to be able to tell what perfume girls where wearing with the slightest sniff...alas I am way out of touch nowadays frown.gif

BTW, thanks for showing my books a good time, lighthouse style! and I'll be expecting that $1.15 out of that stripper's crotch and into my paypal account anyday now sumo.gif

I'll be sure to check with Mrs. Diesel as to her perfume. I think she'll be wearing Eau de Whip Darth's [!@#%^&^] if I ask. Mrs. Donut wears ths same kind, only hers is called Eau de Stop Looking At That Girl, You [!@#%^&^].

Lighthouse's recent feedback 893whatthe.gif

I'll be sure to check with Mrs. Diesel as to her perfume. I think she'll be wearing Eau de Whip Darth's [!@#%^&^] if I ask. Mrs. Donut wears ths same kind, only hers is called Eau de Stop Looking At That Girl, You [!@#%^&^].

She wears "Happy" but has worn Vanilla "White Musk" in the past. I don't think she will wear something that I associate with past trysts, so we always pick up something new. For instance, she associates "Fahrenheit" with me. I use to love wearing Eternity or Drakkar Noir, but so did her ex-es. every now and then, I go old skool and break out the "Grey Flannel"

To comicmankev, xrcst and gpcove: I don't know why in the world you'd leave positive feedback upon receipt of payment, in auctions where you are the seller. This to me seems crazy - your argument is that the buyer has completed their obligation in the transaction...but if the buyer receives the goods and decides there's a problem, you're then placed in a very tough position. The seller can then neg you, and you have very little recourse. If only for the purposes of being able to negotiate with a disgruntled customer from the best, most equal vantage point, it would seem like a good idea to hold off on leaving fb until the seller has done so, or at least until you've confirmed that the seller has received the goods and appears satisfied.

I just bought books from Jason Ewert from the first time. Guy was a pleasure to deal with from start to finish. He has also left me positives before the books have got to me (about 5-7 days before they are scheduled to arrive). He manages to keep himself on 100%, so you'd think he might have something to protect. I figure if he can do it, so can anyone else.

He manages to keep himself on 100%, so you'd think he might have something to protect. I figure if he can do it, so can anyone else.

100% is a little ambitious...he just started selling on ebay last year. He is excellent, though, and will probably always be at least at 99%.

100% is a little ambitious...he just started selling on ebay last year. He is excellent, though, and will probably always be at least at 99%.

I meant 'if he can give feedback first'. Point taken though, on this dealing I can't see him ever getting too many complaints. Always selling slabs probably helps too.

You say the comic you received was in VF+ and it was advertised VF/NM.

Whoa, I didn't notice that the grades were so close because of all the weird HTML formatting problems related to copying and pasting...if you buy a raw book from a dealing collector on E-Bay, always assume it's at least 2 notches off. You should've contacted the seller, but just learn to underbid by 2 grading scale notches next time.

Why ? I collect certain older DC's in around VGish grade. On them I don't care if it's out a bit. I collect other stuff in 9.0 minimum. I don't want an 8.0 or an 8.5 of a book I've seen 300 copies and read in a dozen forms in the last 25 years. My desire for a VF/NM might be churlish, but it's what a guy with a profile showing 1300 was offerring and if everybody else who'd got VF's instead of VF/NM's had told me so, I could have avoided his auctions in the first place.

That's my point. Nobody did tell me, unless I really am the first. I have however enshrined it for posterity and for future buyers to act on or ignore as they see fit.

THen I suggest you NEVER, EVER buy VF/Nm's from eaby anymore. I have yet to meet more than 1 or 2 guys on eBay that can actually grade a book properly at VF/NM. Most of the time they really are VFs that they just decided to call VF/Nm to make a little more money.

THen I suggest you NEVER, EVER buy VF/Nm's from eaby anymore. I have yet to meet more than 1 or 2 guys on eBay that can actually grade a book properly at VF/NM. Most of the time they really are VFs that they just decided to call VF/Nm to make a little more money.

I suspect a lot of them are choosing to believe--or expecting us to believe that they believe--the slash in VF/NM means "or" when they're grading books to sell them. smirk.gif893naughty-thumb.gif Maybe it's a VF...or maybe it's a NM! confused-smiley-013.gif

I suspect a lot of them are choosing to believe--or expecting us to believe that they believe--the slash in VF/NM means "or" when they're grading books to sell them. smirk.gif893naughty-thumb.gif Maybe it's a VF...or maybe it's a NM! confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh you mean kinda like when people have 500 comics and they will pull comics "at random" out of their box and ship it to you - could be an X-Men 1, could be a Nick Fury 20...who knows?

I think it more means "I'm a greedy ahole that is going to overgrade a book"...

Unless of course I am selling a VF/NM book..but I digress.

I try to leave feedback when I'm paid. I don't always remember, so it's hit or miss with me, but it's not because I'm worried about the sale. My feedback is 100% positive. I "protect" myself by being as honest as I possibly can in my auctions. I list every defect that I can find, and post full-sized scans, often of the front and back cover. Yes, I've missed some defects, and when that happens, I do my best to make it right with the buyer. I always try to be as friendly as possible with the buyer so that they'll tell me if anything is wrong, rather than just neg me. So far, this has worked really well. I've even made some new friends that way!

Granted, by disclosing every defect, I probably don't make as much money as those who hide flaws. I try to make up for that by writing interesting auctions. I always give synopses of the stories in the comics, to lure people into wanting to read them (it would work on me -- I can't resist a tantalizing summary of the stories). It takes more time, but hopefully it's been worth it.

I wasn't the most successful seller on ebay, but I sold a ton of low-mid grade raw DCs, and have hundreds of satisfied customers. Because that was always my goal, I feel good about how I went about it.

I have also decided to retire from ebay selling. I'm going to close my store, and stop listing. No more powerseller for me! Ebay has served me well, but it's time to move on.

-- Joanna

I have also decided to retire from ebay selling. I'm going to close my store, and stop listing. No more powerseller for me! Ebay has served me well, but it's time to move on.

Joanna??!?? Does this mean you're movin' on up to the east side to a deeeeluxe apartment in the sky?

Joanna??!?? Does this mean you're movin' on up to the east side to a deeeeluxe apartment in the sky?

No, it's more like I can turn the world on with a smile. I can take a nothing day and suddenly make it seem worthwhile. In short, I'm gonna make it after all.

No, it's more like I can turn the world on with a smile. I can take a nothing day and suddenly make it seem worthwhile. In short, I'm gonna make it after all.

Way-to-Go Uisey... thumbsup2.gif