• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What The Heck Have I Got?

17 posts in this topic

My in-laws got me a cover re-creation of Haunt of Fear #18 in an auction. I was under the impression it was one of the hand-colored prints Marie Severin did in the 70's, as it has her name at the bottom beside "Ghastly" Graham Ingles' name. It certainly looks hand colored. It is matted and framed and I have yet to remove it (Hey, I just got the darned thing).

Anyway, I got to looking this morning at some of the known examples of her hand-colored prints. She does not sign on the artwork, but below it, and uses more of a pencil or ink signature where the one I have is painted on beside "Ghastly."

Did she do full color re-creations? I've never seen one by her, but that certainly doesn't rule out the possibility.

(shrug)

Here's some pics from the auction, I can take more when I get home tonight.

70694.jpg.d5f3de04160e5de9612bd3f434ac0ad8.jpg

70695.jpg.67e1a18f80a55e94be50762d6589ebf4.jpg

You got yourself a hand-colored print (organized by Russ Cochran).

That's what I thought! :banana:

Sweet! SWEET! SWEET! SWEET! SWEET!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Thank you. I had assumed that's what it was, especially with the number on it, but I lack the experience with these to know.

That's still really, really cool--far better than a normal signed print! :)

Absolutely.

Gaines had made a gift of the original HAUNT OF FEAR # 18 cover art to Russ Cochran , several years earlier, in 1966.

The hand colored prints appeared at a time when Russ was beginning to publish the (large-sized) EC portfolios . . . the success of which would lead to the complete EC library project.

A great item to have. (thumbs u

That's what I thought! :banana:

Thank you. I had assumed that's what it was, especially with the number on it, but I lack the experience with these to know.

You're welcome.

Hope you don't get too many nightmares looking at it . . . :grin:

Your in-laws got you that? Wow, do they have any daughters I could marry? Or worse case, sons?

Rumour has it they still have one unmarried daughter up for grabs . . .

jk8wwk.jpg

Come to think of it, you won't need a horror cover to look at, if you marry her. hm

The in-laws are all right. I don't recommend taking them to conventions (ask JonJesper) but they do try.

He's an auction nut. It doesn't matter if he wants anything in an auction or not, he'll just go to watch stuff sell. I'm trying to train him about basic comic grading. He always calls if there's anything comic-related that he runs across and asks about value and such, as well as whether or not I might be interested. Most of the time the answer is "no" but then there's stuff like this. I asked him to bid up to $300 for me, he said it went higher and I blew it off. A few months later, I've got it under the tree!

Yeah....they're pretty cool!

And sorry guys, all the siblings are spoken for! lol

Your in-laws got you that? Wow, do they have any daughters I could marry? Or worse case, sons?

Rumour has it they still have one unmarried daughter up for grabs . . .

jk8wwk.jpg

Come to think of it, you won't need a horror cover to look at, if you marry her. hm

Don't be so hasty...she may be built like Marylyn Monroe (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The in-laws are all right. I don't recommend taking them to conventions (ask JonJesper) but they do try.

He's an auction nut. It doesn't matter if he wants anything in an auction or not, he'll just go to watch stuff sell. I'm trying to train him about basic comic grading. He always calls if there's anything comic-related that he runs across and asks about value and such, as well as whether or not I might be interested. Most of the time the answer is "no" but then there's stuff like this. I asked him to bid up to $300 for me, he said it went higher and I blew it off. A few months later, I've got it under the tree!

Yeah....they're pretty cool!

And sorry guys, all the siblings are spoken for! lol

that was nice of him!

vr38u8.jpg

2ynrlli.jpg

Very Nice, I especially like the lower one. :D

BTW, anyone knows if there's a list somewhere of all those hand-colored EC Comics cover prints ? (ideally with pics!)